Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Permanent Implant

davedave Posts: 860
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Got my permanent implant today. The IPG was implanted a little above the belt line on my left side on the back. The leads are at T11-T12 for the right and T12-L1 for the left. I'll post more later once I get some drugs in my system and I stop feeling like someone just kicked the crap out of me.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day.

Dave
advertisement

Comments

• I can't wait to hear how your feet feel in a month or so. I'm impressed you walked two hours a day with your tender feet. My hat's off to you, Bud. Susan
  • Thanks Susan. It's really not that big of a deal with the walking. After all, the problem is not in my feet but in my back. All kidding aside, some days its real tough. It helps to be walking with my wife in the neighborhood for the evening walk. Now that winter is almost here, we'll cancel that one due to inclimate weather when its necessary.

I'll keep you posted when I find out something. Right now, I'm sore and swollen.

Dave
  • advertisement
  • I hope you have a restful night and just remember to take it easy. For several days, pain will likely keep you being careful. I hope your meds will take care of it for you!

Take care,

Cheri
  • Thank for the encouragement. My discharge instructions are extremely restrictive:

Avoid strenuous activity, heavy lifting for 16 weeks. Don't raise arms over head or bend over at the waist for same period of time. No twisting or turning. Don't lift anything heavier than your fork. No vacuuming, gardening, lifting groceries, walking the dog, etc., until told by your doctor you may do so.
    Can they get any more restrictive? Oh, and I'm not permitted to do my walks until they clear me and no Hot Tub for 6 weeks.

As for today, I don't see any of that happening. There's not much as it pertains to my back that doesn't hurt. It's been relatively easy for me as far as the stimulator goes, TIME TO PAY MY DUES.

That's enough stimulating words from me :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />.
  • Great to hear that you finally have your permanent implant Dave.
    Oh yes....please be careful. I think my battery pack has shifted or moved a bit because I am having a lot of pain around the battery and I had my implant in June! The battery just does not "feel" right. I would call my PM but will see hem soon anyway. I have no idea how this happened but I guess it happened at night when i rolled to my side.(I always sleep on my back) I just know I woke up with the pain.
    Follow your Doctors orders to the letter plezzz(but I know you will)
    Very best of luck to you Dave.
    Cheers
    Patsy W :H
  • advertisement
  • Hi Dave-

Congrats on getting your implant. If you are anything like me the first couple of days will be tough but then get a lot better a few days later. Don't be afraid to ask for more meds if they aren't handling the pain.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out for me and I am back in the office for the first day today. I wasn't planning on coming in until next week but the drug plan I work with flew in to meet with us. I am feeling pretty good but my stimulation is still pretty positional. I think that the no BLT restrictions are almost harder now that the incision pain is gone, but I want this thing to scar in well so I am trying to be good.

Let us know how you are doing in a few days.
  • Congrats. Amazing that you even feel like being on the computer to update us and you just got home. Remember to follow the doctor orders....that excuses you from house work, yard work, and many other things...and you can say my doctor told me not to...hahaha
  • Happy Birthday!

"C"
  • Julie, Congrats on returning to work. I'm sure you feel much better now that you're out of the house and doing something productive.

Moni, I'm pretty much an idiot and would probably be sabotaging myself if not for the super restrictive discharge instructions.

C, I'll have to try and mark the 17th down as a date to remember. I do have one question for you, have you found a clip-on accessory for the myStim handheld device? I don't always wear a belt and I don't carry a purse, so I'm trying to figure out where to put the remote.

For the record, the stimulator is working and handling everything but that one hard pain in my left leg. Can't sit with it yet because I have to turn it up so high to feel anything right now. Got in trouble last night with being over stimulated and unable to get a signal to turn it down or off. Lesson number 1 learned and n lessons to go.

Dave
  • I just stick mine in my work bag, once I get it turned on I rarely turn it off. I am often on the other side of the building from it.

You should get to a point when you know when you will need the remote to change a program.

I just did whatever I needed to to keep it around till I got to this point, pocket, held it in my hand etc. Did you get a little zipper pouch to put it in?
    I got a pouch that has a couple of pieces of velcro on it. I will coil the antenna and use the velcro to hold it to the pouch. Don't really need the antenna once you get used to what buttons to puch, but I guess I am paranoid, always carry the antenna around anyway.

Glad to hear you are done with the install, follow the restrictions! They have been saying some doctors are more lax about them now, but I always thought, what if I'm one of the ones the lead moves on! I don't want anyone cutting on me for a loooong time.
    Tired of that for quite some time.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.