Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Will a spinal fusion help me ?

Comments

• You can see on x-ray that the vertebrae don't line up properly. One disc will slide over the top of the one below it.

Marianne
  • Only you know what the pain is like for you and as you function decline or not may give an indication as to when is the right time, you condition will not change however many opinions you get and as said even if they all agree this is the best process it may well be better at the appropriate time than doing noting. Have you asked what other alternative are possible and any fusion is not for the most part irreversible and you have to have confidence in that leap of faith that it will in some was improve your personal circumstance more than now.

How long can you last with your condition like this, can you cope on a daily basis and out of ten what is the pain level for you. If your fusion totally improved your condition we would all be pleased and the risk involved as to and continuing residual pain or symptom after any fusion is always feasible and you have to decide if that risk of the medium case scenario is better then what you have now or in the future.

My optimum moment came when I could not stand and walking effectively, the condition itself dictated this was the right moment to have my own fusion and as mention I do not regret that decision as being appropriate at that time.

Nobody here can give you any guarantee only hope of some tangible improvement, we all went into our fusions with the same hope and expectation and the spectrum of favourable outcomes better than doing nothing. It may well be that your diagnosis suggest you are only delaying the inevitable and only your surgeon would know that.

This is a big operation and you have to be realistic about the overall success, if you have a clear diagnosis of your current condition and have evaluated all other reasonable options, then this decision can only be make by you will all that knowledge and information to hand. Would you swap the things you cannot do for the reduction of pain?

I wish you well on your journey.

Badminton…. I played for my town, happy days.

John
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.