Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New-Need Info on Fusions

advertisement

Comments

• I would check about the nail varnish on your toes if I were you. I haven't had surgery, but think I have read that they need to check for good circulation in your toes post surgery. Perhaps you could have clear or a very pale colour.
    I expect someone who knows, will give you their advice.

Hoping that you are managing to stay calm and prepare all you need for your surgery on 9th February.

Take care.
  • I could wear any color on my toes,and could wear polish on my nails but not red--the red ingredients interfere with something(?)I would imagine this is something that a specific dr.or hospital tells you----my first fusion I could not wear any at all. Also this time acrylic nails were allowed-which I dont wear.The funny thing is I painted my toenails red with tiny flowers on them-I had the stockings on the entire time-and no one saw them but me!
  • advertisement
  • About the nail varnish! I got a pre-surgery booklet that mentioned all of those little things, and just out of curiosity I asked the nurse during my pre-surgery exam and she said that it was indeed to be sure they could check for circulation issues.

Oh and my OS used the bone from the laminectomy portion of the surgery mixed with bone marrow for my fusion. He basically said the same thing as your surgeon about the hip allograft not being done as much, and that it was because the recovery and pain from the hip was far worse than the fusion itself.

And on a personal note, I have had a very successful recovery thus far, and I think a positive attitude can work wonders! At first I was absolutely terrified of surgery. Especially since at 30 yrs old I had NEVER been in the hospital for anything, much less a major surgery. But at about 2 weeks before surgery, I think I hit rock bottom and realized that I could only go up from there. Pain had controlled my life, but I was about to take my first major step towards putting that to a stop. So even though I was realistic about my expectations, my general state of mind heading into the hospital on the morning of surgery was "This IS going to FIX ME!". And really it has! As I said I was realistic though, and when I say "fixed" I don't mean I'm back to the way I was before I ever had back problems. But I am about 15 weeks post-op and about 99% of the time I don't feel as if I even had surgery, much less a major surgery like 2-level fusion! I have been without pain for weeks, and feel a little better every day.

So remember that you have made this decision because it is what you need to start the journey towards getting your life back.

Best of luck!
  • I'm going to wait till Friday (pre admit testing) before I go spend money on a pedicure...I'll ask then!
    I'm hoping just not having paint on my finger nails will be enough, because my feet are just SO ugly I try to keep the paint on, lol =))
  • Jeannie I just said in the above post that I really want polish on my toes, because they are SO ugly! I always wear red on my toes, but if they say no red, but I can have pink or something that will be fine, lol!
    Jen
  • advertisement
  • Jeannie I just said in the above post that I really want polish on my toes, because they are SO ugly! I always wear red on my toes, but if they say no red, but I can have pink or something that will be fine, lol!
    Jen
  • thats nice,awalker
  • thank you for writing, it is so great to hear that you are doing good and how you went into the surgery mentally.
    I admit, I'm o.k. right now, but I know me and I'm going to be a basket case a few days before the surgery.
    BUT, this time I'm going to come here and listen to all of you and KNOW that this time it is going to work. I do have realistic expectations and if it goes over and above I will be thrilled, but if it will just reduce the pain and reduce the meds I will be happy.
    If I don't do this, it could get worse and I have to at least give it my best shot. I always told my children and now grandchildren to at least try their best, so that is what I am going to do!
    Thank you! :)
    oh also, it sounds like I am having the same surgery you did! Can I ask how your back problems began and how long was it before you decided to do surgery?
    Take care!
    Jen
  • Oh I had my little meltdown about a week before surgery lol just had to curl up in a ball...cry for a bit and then talk myself out of it lol

I had pretty quick progression from first diagnosis to surgery. I'd had back pain for a few years off and on but nothing I wasn't willing to live with. Then in August of 2009, my back pain increased dramatically, so I went to PCP had an MRI and got first diagnosis of 2 herniated disc...L4/5 and L5/S1. Started the whole conservative treatment course, but by July of 2009 I couldn't walk or function without several 10mg percocet every day. By August I was taking 2 10mg oxycontin, and a 10mg percocet every 4 hrs just to be get through the day. Had a new MRi mid-August and it showed the 2 herniates were 10x worse and causing severe stenosis. OS mentioned microdiscectomy/laminectomy but said "it's not a matter of IF you re-herniated but WHEN" and that my back pain wouldn't get any better because the discs were basically completely shot. So for me fusion was the no-brainer. All in all I had my fusion about 1 yr and 2 months after my symptomes first progressed enough for me to see a dr.
  • Had a 2level 360 fusion 1-20-10 (L4-S1). I came home yesterday. I have a 130 yr old house and suggest you reconsider those stairs. You should take a hard look at your home , it is below freezing here so I had to push my walker around the house. we also have claw foot tubs ( much higher to step into. I have been on 4x 10/325 percs for a year, prior to that I was on I think 4x 15mg roxys.I woke up feeling like poop.Until one of my surgeons resident changed it to dilaudid. Oh God that helped so much. Please discuss this with your Dr. before surgery. I was lucky to have had a very concerned nurse the first two days as I was in a HELL of undermedication and my pain was nowhere close to being in control. I am sore but the weird leg/thigh /butt/ foot elecrtic shocking pains have eased up. I had to do this because I was working in a vry dangerous factory highly intoxicated. worse that that was no garden , no playing ruff with my kids
    I'll tell you more tomorrow if you like, but my meds are about to lay me out and I would like to get to my satin sheeted bed

advertisement