Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December surgeries

yasminayyasmina Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Let's start a new group. This was a great hit back before the change in format here. For some reason it seemed to disappear. *A caveat - if the mods felt they were no longer appropriate, please delete.

I would like this to be a thread for everyone having surgery - be it lumbar or cervical - in December (or late November, as in my case 11/30/09). I see this as a way of introduction, place to whine, moan, and complain when necessary, with people who are taking this trip right along side of you. Instead of always posting separate questions, you can post it here once, and if this thread takes off, chances are, you will find someone here to answer it.

Of course participation is completely voluntary, and if you are having surgery in Dec. and don't want to join, that's perfectly alright.

Ok, my take for today, barely 24 hours after ACDF 5-7:

Well, last night I decided to take a norco instead of morphine iv. It really helped with the throat pain. I woke up for vitals about 1/2 hour ago and noticed it hurt much less. So now i'm waiting for my next dose. which should now be in about 20 minutes. Overall, i feel pretty good, but tired. Didn't sleep well due to discomfort, finding a comfortable sleeping position, and being in the hospital.
advertisement

Comments

• Not to rain on your parade Yasmina, but I'm sure the Admin people are in the process of organising this (apologies if I'm wrong!).
  • No problem - maybe I just done't explore enough, so if there are already groups for this, I'm no in the least bit offended.
  • advertisement
  • I'm not sure whether it's happened yet Yasmina, but I think it'd been proposed and was in the process of being set up. If I remember correctly, it was going to take a while for a number of reasons.
  • Hi Yasmina

Hope the Moderators introduce the monthly surgeries thread again.

That's good that your surgery went well and that you're doing ok. Hope you can get comfortable enough to sleep tonight and that you'll be home soon. Wishing you lots of good healing and do let us know how you're going.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Yasmina, It's good to hear your surgery went well. I hope you can get comfy enough for some decent rest. Bless you :)
  • advertisement
  • As someone who is facing a December surgery, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like the moderators are thinking the same great thoughts.

Either way, sounds like you are doing pretty good day 1 post op. Keep updating us.
  • Surprisingly was sent home today with scripts for skelaxin, percocet, and an antibiotic. The percs work really well for the pain, except for coughing, and they make me really sleepy. I am to take 2 every 4 hours, and man, if I let them expire before taking more, it takes forever to get relief from the next dose. So I figure I need to take my next dose at least 1/2 hour before due so that the relief dosn't run out.

I'm going to try to sleep tonight in bed with lots of pillows. If it doesn't work out, then I will end up sleeping downstairs in the recliner.

My throat feels like I have a baseball stuck in it, and my upper back is on fire. It hurts to swallow anything, including water or any sort of beverage. Maybe I'll try some hot tea later.

I don't have to wear my collar - at all, if I don't want to. I find when I don't wear it my back hurts worse, plus I'm more likely to turn my head rather than my entire body.

I have a bone growth stimulator, which is much better than the one I had for my lumbar surgery. This one is like a big ugly necklace. I'm supposed to wear it 4 hours per day. I definitely won't make it 4 hours today, but am just giving it a try-out.

OK, 'nuff for now. Gonna go watch the President's speech.
  • but be safe. Sounds like you are already tracking what is and isn't working. Smart! Yes, percaset makes you VERY sleepy which probably isn't the worst thing b/c rest helps recovery.

I hope you have a restful (as possible) evening.
  • Yasmina,

Glad to see you are home! I was put on a bone growth stimulator (I call it my star wars necklace!!) at week 8 after my fusion showed problems. Time will tell of course. I hope it goes well for ya!! :-) Rest and get better!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    The posts regarding surgeries
    - Upcoming
    - During
    Were threads created by members, the moderator team did not get involved.

I do wish there was a more organized way in providing this information, but for now, I can see three separate forum threads using one of the above as the Title and subject.

I would be glad to create the three, or if any member wants to go for it, please do so.

I think this is a very good idea. Its a way where members can check on the status of other member surgeries. Its not the most formal way to do it, but, I like the down to earth solutions as long as it provides the information we seek
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement