Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

help!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have severe neck pain, so I went to my doctor. He said I needed surgery, so needless to say my mind went blank because I was not expecting that. My doctor said that my c5-6 c6-7 would have to be replaced with bone. The procedure is a ACDF(whatever that means)with a possible corpectomy. My question is...has anyone had complications with this type of surgery?

Thanks for any input

Den
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of information on this site and the forums have friendly, knowledgeable and supportive members. I'm glad you found us.

I had an ACDF surgery on Oct. 21 2008 and like you, it was a big shocker. I remember feeling shell shocked like you as have many, many members here. There are so many of us that woke up with pain one day, went to what we thought was a routine doctor visit only to find out we had to have spine surgery.

And ACDF stands for Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. The get to the spine from the front of your neck which sounds awful, but it really is much easier on the surgeon and the patient. The result is usually a sore throat and maybe some swallowing issues for a while because they move the wind pipe and vocal cords to the side during surgery.

Yes, some here have had complications from this surgery, but there are tons of people who haven't had any problems. You generally won't find the success stories here because they're out living their lives again and don't need us any more. But some stay to offer support to people just like you who are new to the spiney world.

I consider my surgery a success because all my pre-op symptoms were gone immediately after surgery. Now, a year later, I'm not completely fused at C6/7 and it causes some pain and spasm issues, but nothing like before surgery.

Anyway, without making this a record-long post, browse around and check out some of the ACDF surgery articles and videos. Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you need to vent. In the meantime, please tell us more about yourself, like what symptoms you're experiencing, when your surgery is scheduled, etc.

Take care,
    Cath
  • dwa1952 said:
    I have severe neck pain, so I went to my doctor. He said I needed surgery, so needless to say my mind went blank because I was not expecting that. My doctor said that my c5-6 c6-7 would have to be replaced with bone. The procedure is a ACDF(whatever that means)with a possible corpectomy. My question is...has anyone had complications with this type of surgery?

Thanks for any input

Den
    I just had this exact surgery. We have a thread going over on the surgery board for December surgeries. You don't say when yours might be, but if you follow the thread, you'll get a better idea about what to expect.

Oh, and we also have a terrific chat room, and a lot of people who frequent there will be happy to help you out.

Just to let you know, the night of my surgery, I was in the chat room (my hospital has free wifi), so you can see, it wan't too bad.
  • advertisement
  • I had great success with C5/6 fusion done 1/08. I did have a painful few days after surgery due to my nerve being decompressed and "waking up", but now there are many days where I forget I even had it done. All the symptoms from my neck are gone. I need to be careful I don't overdo things that could aggravate my neck. My range of motion has only decreased slightly.

Best wishes,

Marianne