Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Tomorrow is it...Got the name of the procedure today.. advice or comments please not really ready.

dilynnddilynn Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well they called with the preop stuff and stated the procedure was called L4-L5 aspen cage placement with fusion. Does this sound familiar..It is supposed to be minimally invasive but he scheduled the OR for two hours and recovery for 2-4 hours..Seems pretty long for a short procedure.
Am I fooling myself here. I really don't have anything ready as I just scheduled it 3 days ago..They had a cancelation.....
Any advice is appreciated...5am comes early. I also have an hour car ride back home.....
So advice or comments please.Thanks
2007 ACDF C6 - C7
2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there :) I'm a neckie, don't really know what's involved with the back type stuff. All I can say is WOW they hurried up & got you in there, didn't they? With so little time to be prepared, best thing I can tell you to do tonight is relax as much as you can, try not to worry, and wear comfy clothes. Do you have someone who can help get the things you need afterward, and stay with you during your recovery? Got my fingers crossed that things go well for you!
  • Hi Dilynn, I am not familiar with that procedure but were you able to get any of the "post op must haves" (toilet seat riser, front button pajamas, grabber, etc.) ? Preparing your home will help immensely. Try to place things up high so you don't have to bend to reach them.

I will be thinking of you, please post as soon as you are able to and let us know how you are doing! 2 hours for surgery and then 2-4 hours in the recovery room sounds pretty typical for minimally invasive to me.
  • advertisement
  • so right. You need items in order to help make it through recovery. No twisting will effect things like using tissue after bowel movement and things that you would never dream of. Maybe you could make a list so that a friend or family member could pick some things up for you?

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • No offense, but you are rushing into it.
    You haven't done your homework or preparations.

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Since no time to get what you need send your family to get it while your in the hospital. Also my hospital has a medical supply on site that they offered to wheel me down to in case I needed anything that I didn't have. The physical therapist showed me many thing I could get and use to help with day to day stuff. Good Luck. My only advise this late in the game is try to get family to help a lot get things ready for you to come home. Also have the doctor prescribe something extra for the ride home.
  • advertisement
  • It does seem like they sort of rushed you into this. I hope it is the best thing for you in the long run. At any rate, for the ride home, I had to ride two hours after a week in the hospital. I told the nurse flat out to load me up with as much pain medication as she could, because I had a long way to go to get home. I babbled away for the two hours down the freeway while my friend drove. I'll always be thankful to her for coming to spring me from the hospital.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery and hope you have someone looking after you for awhile after surgery. I hope you got the chores done before the big day. Post us when you're able. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow that was fast pre-op. I knew a month before mine and had time to get my things in order. And things I never dreamed I would need. I Hope this is a DECISION you have made and not be hurried or pushed into. We all have to be responsible for choosing these ELECTIVE surgeries. I hope this was the case and you are sure this is the route for you. BEST of luck and you are in my thoughts. AND don't for ONE MINUTE let them (hosp, nurses, surgeon, etc) tell you, that you cannot back out if you feel it is too soon. YOU can hop off the table in the OR holding if you choose. Prayers for you dear.
  • Paul said:
    No offense, but you are rushing into it.
    You haven't done your homework or preparations.

Sorry Paul but usually when you have to start a sentence with "No offense..." you probably shouldn't be saying it. Your post was pretty rude and of no help to the OP. Instead of telling him/her that she is rushing into it, perhaps some advice would be more helpful.
  • Wasn't intending it to be rude. Just being frank.
    Your post starts with "sorry", is that the same?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
advertisement