Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Now I am a surgical reject

Comments

• At this point I've been to about seven or eight people and I'm exhausted. I'm willing to try to get more opinions but I'm not really sure what to look for. Probably someone who is super conservative is not my best bet, but I don't want someone who is aggressive and going to hurt me either. I don't know how to find out if they're conservative before the first appointment-should I asked the receptionist? I also like the people who do minimally invasive surgery-the two that I went to recently both specialized in this. The mean neurosurgeon had developed a technique for fusion wherein he did not cut muscle, just sort of split it and let it fall back into place during the procedure.
    Gwennie you mentioned something about finding out if the person is fellowship trained-I forgot how to do this. Both of the last people I went to were fellowship trained but I forgot how I found that out. Neurontin has killed my memory!
    I also want to thank all of you for respondingt. You are all wonderful and helpful people and you make me feel so much better. I can't believe that the last guy refused to do surgery-it's not like the herniation that got smaller is gone, I can still feel it giving me sciatica down my leg. There's no way it's that much smaller. I wonder if I should just do pain management, but all those injections have steroids in them right? Do you know if they can give you diabetes? Epidurals didn't work for me but I would consider getting more facet blockers but those have steroids as well, no?
  • At this point I've been to about seven or eight people and I'm exhausted. I'm willing to try to get more opinions but I'm not really sure what to look for. Probably someone who is super conservative is not my best bet, but I don't want someone who is aggressive and going to hurt me either. I don't know how to find out if they're conservative before the first appointment-should I asked the receptionist? I also like the people who do minimally invasive surgery-the two that I went to recently both specialized in this. The mean neurosurgeon had developed a technique for fusion wherein he did not cut muscle, just sort of split it and let it fall back into place during the procedure.
    Gwennie you mentioned something about finding out if the person is fellowship trained-I forgot how to do this. Both of the last people I went to were fellowship trained but I forgot how I found that out. Neurontin has killed my memory!
    I also want to thank all of you for respondingt. You are all wonderful and helpful people and you make me feel so much better. I can't believe that the last guy refused to do surgery-it's not like the herniation that got smaller is gone, I can still feel it giving me sciatica down my leg. There's no way it's that much smaller. I wonder if I should just do pain management, but all those injections have steroids in them right? Do you know if they can give you diabetes? Epidurals didn't work for me but I would consider getting more facet blockers but those have steroids as well, no?
  • advertisement
  • Trust the opinions of the experts. Are you aware that most people with a herniation that undergo conservative treatment end up without any pain after 5 years. The statistics play out the same for surgical and non-surgical patients. Just because you have a herniation at a higher level doesn't mean much. There are dermatome charts online that map the relationship between nerve levels and sensory sectors in the body. Perhaps the other herniations do not match your physical pain.

You might find that the nerves after surgery might take a lot longer time to heal than you like. Maybe even the same amount of time as going it conservatively. Surgery is just a faster means to the end but can come with a huge cost.

Regards,

Dave

• i was also a candidate 18 months ago with one surgeon, others wouldnt touch me. the surgeon who would do the surgery has now told me pain management is my only option. I have C3-C7 and S10 and total lumbar stenosis. found this out on Friday and have been crying ever since. I too have suicidal thoughts. Thats not true, I am beyond the thoughts. the pity party has to stop. my research shows that in other countried, they are doing total lumbar replacement. There are 4 different kinds of disc replacement companies worldwide. Have you looked at these options? I realize money, as always, is a huge factor but what would you spend to stand up, to get control of your kidneys and bladder again, to sleep though the night? please tell me what you use for pain management. are you doing excersizes. you sound just like me. we cant give up.
  • i was also a candidate 18 months ago with one surgeon, others wouldnt touch me. the surgeon who would do the surgery has now told me pain management is my only option. I have C3-C7 and S10 and total lumbar stenosis. found this out on Friday and have been crying ever since. I too have suicidal thoughts. Thats not true, I am beyond the thoughts. the pity party has to stop. my research shows that in other countried, they are doing total lumbar replacement. There are 4 different kinds of disc replacement companies worldwide. Have you looked at these options? I realize money, as always, is a huge factor but what would you spend to stand up, to get control of your kidneys and bladder again, to sleep though the night? please tell me what you use for pain management. are you doing excersizes. you sound just like me. we cant give up.
  • advertisement
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The main page of spine-health.com has a "find a doctor" feature and that's a good place to start. I've found all of mine on there and then I check on them with the state board. Here in AZ the state board also lists all of their educational background.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement