Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question, post surgery weight gain?

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I am having a laminectomy with fusion of lumbar vertebrae. The surgery will likely happen in the next 2 weeks. I am worried about something that will sound dumb and vain. I am used to being in very good physical condition (up until my accident on Sept. 28). I am very worried I will gain weight post surgery. What has your experience been with this?

Thanks!~
advertisement

Comments

• I noticed that none of my pants fit me anymore. :( I'm getting really upset about this because like you, I'm used to being in pretty good condition. I'm on Lyrica which I think may be the culprit. My appetite was pretty crummy for a while after surgery, so I think me not eating for a while and then eating unhealthy food, in addition to not getting any physical activity also added up.

Just try your best to eat a very healthy diet and you should be okay.
  • noseovertail said:
    I noticed that none of my pants fit me anymore. :( I'm getting really upset about this because like you, I'm used to being in pretty good condition. I'm on Lyrica which I think may be the culprit. My appetite was pretty crummy for a while after surgery, so I think me not eating for a while and then eating unhealthy food, in addition to not getting any physical activity also added up.

Just try your best to eat a very healthy diet and you should be okay.
    Andrea,

I too am on Lyrica, and weight gain, oh yeah! I am the heaviest I have EVER been in my life. Some of that I give to less activity for me, and Lyrica. Even though I hate the weight gain, it doesn't trump "pain relief" for me yet. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • I understand your worry, but you may lose your appetite, as I did. That surgery was a month ago and I still don't really care to eat that much. I have lost about 10 lbs since. Then again, I don't have Lyrica in my med. regimen. My wife takes Lyrica for arthritis and has trouble with weight from it. Bummer that, because it seems to really help with pain.

Happy Happy
    Aaron
  • a healthy weight is not only good for the vanity, but it helps your back to keep the excess poundage off. It's a funny thing. While I was off work and away from all the stress, I actually lost 12 pounds after surgery. Went back to work and gained it all back. I can't wait till I can retire and lose some weight!

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I originally lost a lot of weight post-op. Those first few weeks on pain medication kept my stomach heaving big time.

Then I gained - and gained. By Christmas last year I weighed more than I had ever weighed in my life.

Then I was given the go ahead to start PT AND I went back to work.

Now - after lots of working out, and some super sensible dieting (no processed foods, lots of veggies, fruits and meats) I have lost 40 pounds. I've not been this skinny since well, since I can't remember when!

It took some dedication. It took a lot of work. But I'm strong and feel better than ever - despite my pain at times.

I'm living my DH's silly motto: 'It's better to look good than to feel good!' It might be silly, but I have to admit, there is something to being able to handle pain better if I know I'm looking good!
  • advertisement
  • It took some dedication. It took a lot of work. But I'm strong and feel better than ever - despite my pain at times.

Regards,
    Nia
  • When I was in the hospital, I had absolutely no appetite and of course my stomach was all fowled up from the anesthesia and pain meds so I ended up losing about 10 lbs. I am much better now and am finally getting straightened back out, but am afraid to get back the appetite. I was told by my NS to keep my nutrition good post-op for good healing, but to eventually lose about 40-50 lbs to help with future back issues. I have always been a larger girl and fought my weight all my life. Now is the most crucial time to drop it. I am hoping that once I am given the okay at my 6 week follow-up with my surgeon that I can get on a serious regimen to get the weight off.
  • It's not vein. Many of us here were/are very active. I think others said it best.

Some of it has to do with not reducing caloric intake now that your activity is down. Another piece has to do with focusing on eating healthy calories. I am trying to do that now since I'm headed back for surgery #2 (just 4-5 months after surgery #1).

Then there's the medication. I found the one that had me gain weight was prednisone. I don't think it needs to be that way either but since I was on it for just 2 weeks, I didn't put enough focus on how I was reacting to it. Not only was I retaining water, I also was hungrier (but oddly it changed the way foods tasted to me so I think I kept eating trying to find something that tasted normal).

Some of the meds interfere with sleep too and you need sleep to properly rest, lose weight.

Then patience. I have gained about 4-5lbs in the 4 months since I literally stopped working out. But now, I'm walking in small increments and it's really great b/c I feel better. When I feel better, I want to eat better.

Just focus on it. Since you cannot be active for a bit, you might want to keep a journal of what you are eating, drinking, etc. and how it makes you feel that day and the next day.

advertisement