Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

More pain....

Comments

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    Does or did moving your fingers make the pain worse? If it is caused by my neck issues would it hurt worse when making a fist, etc? I can't grip anything or even hold up the newspaper without pain.
    Thanks and have a good day.

Debbie
  • I have the same problem. I think the arm/ hand pain is even worse since the muscle astrophy has set in. That being said lifting any thing above about the elbow is felt in my neck.

• advertisement
  • Hi Debbie,

The pain to that finger sounds like pain from the c6-c7 level. I am waiting myself to see what to do about that level. Unfortunately mine is due to the three levels fused already loaded on it. I can tell you that I have had some success with naproxen and also the therma hand wraps, along with the other meds i take to hold down the issues with my neck. Also it does help when I sleep to keep that arm level with my shoulder supporting it with a pillow. My left arm already has sustained permanent damage so I prefer to sleep on that arm. You can also cut down some of the pain by doing things close to your body. So if you are cooking make sure you cut things close into you. Keep your reaching for things down. Driving is one of the hardest so i try to hold the lower part of the steering wheel. You might try a carpel tunnel splint at night and see if that gives some help. It took awhile to get using them to help it but it has gone down. If it is that level your grip strength could deminish as well. Have you seen a spine doctor and had the MRI's, sieve brain here. Anyway I hope that lets up before the holidays. Take care.
    Thanks for the advice. I have had MRI's and a Myelogram CT scan with flexion xrays. My results are in my history. I've had arm and hand pain and tingling for a long time but have never had this stabbing, throbbing pain. It feels like someone is driving a nail in my hand at the base of my middle finger and the whole arm and hand ache. I did finally go to the doctor today. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor there thinks it's my nerves being pinched in my neck. She is making me an appointment with a different NS. My hand is weak and my reflexes in that arm aren't great. She gave me hydrocodone and naproxen because I'm already on all kinds of muscle relaxers and stuff but she said it wouldn't help this. (I know it won't!) I've also started taking neurontin again to see if it'll help. So far nothing really makes a difference. Hopefully it'll settle down soon. I hope that you can have a happy holiday also. I've got too much to do to dwell on this very much! lol.

Take care,
    Debbie
    I finally went to the doctor! I'm finally going to get a referral to another NS! The doctor I saw today couldn't believe how the others have done me. I told her everything that has happened this year and how none of them would refer me to someone else and she said "I can and I will". I told her I wish I'd seen her eleven months ago. She said she didn't blame me for not going back to the NS after they wouldn't help me after the myelogram. She really listened and I just told her how I got so discouraged because my PCP wouldn't help me. So hopefully I'll find out something soon. Thank you for the 'nagging'. lol. You really did talk me into going. Thanks.

Debbie
  • advertisement
  • Debbe,

That is great news. I hope things turn around for you. Hugs!

Julie
  • tamtam said:
    Hi Debbie,

The pain to that finger sounds like pain from the c6-c7 level. I am waiting myself to see what to do about that level. Unfortunately mine is due to the three levels fused already loaded on it. Also it does help when I sleep to keep that arm level with my shoulder supporting it with a pillow. My left arm already has sustained permanent damage so I prefer to sleep on that arm.
    Tamtam,

You hit it right on the head! When my disk herniated onto the nerve root (C6/7), my index and middle finger got shooting pains! My fusion at that level (like you but one level done above for me - C6/7 went due to load and force changes) is not going great, and I still get pain, but mainly in the middle finger! Only 4 months out, and lucky me, C7/T1 is going. I too find that I sleep more comfortable on my affected arm (right). On the other side, nope, don't sleep as well, plus I would wake up with the arm numb (don't understand this - the thumb isn't!). I hope you hear good news!!! Debbie, same with your tests, I hope you get answers soon!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    I hope that you can get straightened out also. Does your finger/hand hurt worse when you're using it? Like wringing out a wash cloth or something? None of the meds I'm taking are helping this. I did put on my hand brace (for carpal tunnel) but it seemed to make it worse. If only I can sleep better I can deal with it better you know? Good luck to you and thanks again.

Debbie
    I do look forward to seeing someone who may be able to do something for me. I know that may be injections or something but if it'll help I'll try it. Just no more PT. I've tried that and traction but it didn't help. I do the stretching and strengthening exercises every day. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to move! lol.
    Take care and have a nice day.

Debbie
  • sunny1966 said:
    I hope that you can get straightened out also. Does your finger/hand hurt worse when you're using it? Like wringing out a wash cloth or something? None of the meds I'm taking are helping this. I did put on my hand brace (for carpal tunnel) but it seemed to make it worse. If only I can sleep better I can deal with it better you know? Good luck to you and thanks again.

Debbie
    Howdy Debbie!

Before my surgery I would carefully move my head around and many times I found a "spot" that the hand gave me a break! The pain as I stated were in the index and middle, but the middle was the most painful. I would feel it in the knuckle and the knuckle joint at the hand. It was a burning feeling like a hot knitting needle was being inserted! About 5 weeks after my surgery, the top of my graph pulled apart from the fusing it "was" doing. My middle finger now gets the pain again, but mainly in the knuckle, and only for a few seconds at a time. I have also lost the feeling on the top half of my palm and all my fingers, save the thumb - annoying! Strength is going to crap too - 2 surgeons now say for me, it is permanent. I bummed the days I heard it, but now I take it for what "is is" as they say. They may have to go back in just for the fast loss of strength (again) and increasing numbness. I will look at those cards if the dealer puts them in front of me!

I would try adjusting (carefully) your head position to see if that helps. Raising your arm, but resting on something might take some strain off the nerve might help. Icing and meds didn't help as nerves only respond to a few select drugs it seems, and then more for the steady pains, not the "zingers" as I like to call them. Mine didn't hurt more when I squeezed things (like the dish towel), mine hurt more when I flexed them out (I first noticed it when typing)! Even now, if I make a fist, not too bad overall, but when I splay all my fingers out, my middle finger has mild pain from the knuckle to the hand.

For sleeping here is an idea (it worked for me when my ring and pinkie fingers were starting to claw before my Ulnar surgery at my elbow and hand). If you take an ACE bandage and gently wrap the hand as it sits in a "resting" position, you will be less apt to open or (since you hurt more on gripping) close your hand when you sleep. Splints and such hold us in constant positions that aren't necessarily natural, and might aggravate your pain, especially felt after you awake. I hope some of this helps you Debbie.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement