Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

of all the luck!!!!!?????!!!!!

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:''( :jawdrop:

Good morning folks. Its so funny to me that this is the first site I log onto when I get on my cpu in the morning. Not much else to do around here since I can't clean and its too darn cold to go for a walk! ha ha.

Let me tell ya....I finally got some good sleep. sort of. I took the Valium at about 7:30pm hoping that by 11, I'd be good and sleepy. Wishful thinking...I'm asking the doc for something else, for reals! I think Valium is just a placebo for me! ha ha. Anyway...I had some warm milk before bed, read a book and determined that if I wasn't asleep by 1:30am, I'd close the book and fake it.

Well, I closed the book at about 1:20...super sleepy. I had A GREAT NIGHT'S SLEEP....that is until about 5:45 when I had the weirdest sensation of heartburn and wanting to throw up at the same time! Now I know its a CONspiracy! I was THIS CLOSE to a full night's sleep.

Tomorrow's the day for me....I have list of about 15 questions for my surgeon. I figured that since I was too doped up at my 2 week post op, at this visit....he'll meet the inquisitive side of me. He's great, so I know he'll have no problem with it. And actually I do love his South African accent! ha ha.

Seriously.....who'd have thought that this surgery would come with so much sleep drama???????? Forget droppin' stuff. If it drops and I'm alone....I'm waiting hours for my son to get home from school. I didn't find this forum until AFTER the surgery so alas, I was ill-prepared.

Have a great day all....may your nights be better than mine seem to be! B)

• At least you found us now. You will have just as many questions post-surgery as you might have beforehand...and sometimes I think it is better to have avoided some of the surgical stories ahead of time!

Did you ever realize how often something gets dropped on the floor? I had no idea and I think that is a common finding!!

I'm not sure what type surgery you had. Are you still on pain medications? I was sent home with several different meds after my fusion, which I took 'round the clock and I never had a problem sleeping. I feel like I pretty much slept through the first two weeks post surgery! (except for eating, walking and trips to the bathroom).
  • dehoyos13,

Could I ask who your surgeon is? Mine is in Houston and has the same accent and I just love it.. Lol.. Just wanted to see if we had the same Dr...

• advertisement
  • >:D<

I knew you'd respond. Thanks for that!!!! And no...I never realized how often things dropped on the floor. And I never realized how instinctive it was (strong accent on WAS) for me to stop and pick them up. I was good for the first 4 weeks. And then a couple of days ago, I sneezed (really...there ought to be a warning label on those after neck surgery) and dropped my towel after a shower. I usually bend at my knees to try to grab what I can reach but for some reason this time I just bent forward, thought my head was gonna fall off and almost slipped in the tub! I was like...WHAT THE HECK!!!!

I've had trouble sleeping since immediately after the surgery. AFter recovery, they up me in a room (alone thank God)but it was only the morphine that I pumped every 10 minutes or so that helped me get any rest. I just couldn't sleep. Of course, using so much morphine, when the physical therapist comes to take me for a walk, I sit in a chair and my blood pressure dropped to 45/70! I'm not taking deep breathes because morphine depresses respiration.

The first week was painful but ok for me besides the back/shoulder pain. Eventually the doc upped the vicoden and all was good. At about week 3...I got a new pain which the vicoden only took the edge off so I got Valium. all this medicine and STILL NO SLEEP. I can sleep in the daytime just fine since I'm not asleep at night. Even days when I don't sleep at all in the day I don't sleep at night. all these weird pains in my neck...like the pain you get when you sprain your ankle...every movement hurts.

Today is a chipper day for me...despite the pain, lack of sleep (I won't even go into lack of other things) LOL. The only bad part for the day is that I'm lonely and bored. Too cold to go outside...no one to go with anyway.

And youf right....had I read some of these stories before hand...I'd still be in pain management living with fear and too much medication. I'm glad I had the procedure and I'll be gladder still when recovery is smoother. Spine-Health has been a Godsend for me and I'm grateful for the people who've taken the time to answer questions and for the other posts I am reading. gosh...it feels like I have a cyber-life! =))
  • I have lumbar issues so I don't usually try to comment on cervical issues -- I can see where sleeping would be more of a problem, at least in some ways. You might want to look into getting some melatonin (I suppose you should check with your doc first). It is sold in health food stores, some pharmacies, etc. and is classified as a supplement. Some people get some relief with it. Otherwise, talk to your surgeon and see what he can come up with. Obviously sleep is very important to your recovery.

I had read forums for three years before finally deciding I had to have lumbar fusion. I was convinced it was going to be the worst thing that had ever happened to me by far! With an attitude like that, anything is bound to be better, right? But my husband keeps reminding me that I don't remember how bad the first two weeks were and he's probably right. I just remember being pretty out of it.

But, unlike many who say they'll never do that again, I was back for more a year later, and that time, it was much more my choice...and it was a piece of cake compared to the fusion. I stayed overnight, came home the next day as soon as I could drag my husband away from the office to drive me home...he dropped me off, and I came in the house and made brownies! I never so much as needed an aspirin. All I can figure is that my back is somewhat numb from the fusion, so the pain just didn't register!! There must have been some as I had at least a 6" incision right over the top of the one from the years before....oh well....I know this next one should be worse than the first one...but I'm still willingly doing it...even though I could just live with it as my two surgeons have suggested!!

Have a good day !
  • Hi Angela....I sent you his name in a PM. Are you doing well lfrom your procedure????
  • advertisement
  • I went into this procedure declaring NEVER AGAIN. My concern is that I will need further surgery at the disks above and below. I'm ignoring my lower back. Physical therapy helped last time and I'm praying it will again.

I read about people who are walking 2 miles 3 weeks out of surgery and I'm disgusted that 5 minutes on the treadmill feels like i'm forever drained. I live in the Northeast, am not allowed to drive yet so walking is kind of a non-issue. After the holidays I can walk the mall if I can drive by then. I recently went to JCPenney and got knocked around so many times, I gave up without buying a coat.

I'd be scared to do this again! You're brave! Hey, you could be my hero! ha ha. I'll be talking with the surgeon tomorrow. Since I'll probably need PT, maybe we can do both...kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

The only thing I can clean without pain is my bathroom sink and shower doors (top only). My kitchen counters I can wipe down but the sink is so low that after a few dishes, the burning between my shoulder blades makes me want to scream. Brownies....I'd like some of those right now...but I'm going back to my lowcarb life. I've put on too much weight since the surgery!

have a great day!!!!! I'll post tomorrow after my appointment.
  • I got your pm.. We have different Dr.'s but I too love my Dr's accent.. I had my 360 spinal fusion April 1st.. I did very well preparing myself for the pain before hand.. I thought it would be horrible and it was so no surprise there... Lol.. I am still recovering of course but I am so much better then before hand.. I get sore easly but sore is so much better then the pain I had before hand.. I was a little hardgeaded and thought I could do everything and anything when I was feeling the least bit better and as you know that is not the case so it is my fault I am a little behind the on the healing process.. But the past 2 months I have been having horrible pain in my thoracic spine so I went back to my surgeon (which is now a 6 hour drive seeing as I moved to Louisiana since my surgery) and found out that I have 3 disc pushing and indenting my spinal cord.. T5-T6, T6-T7, and T11-T12.. I am is so much pain that I am barely eating because I am sick afterwards and cry all the time because my pain meds aren't helping me at all.. So I am getting ready to leave this afternoon to make the trip (with an overnight stop because of the pain) back to my spinal surgeon and I am praying that the word surgery/fusion comes out of his mouth with a date very near in the future.. Friday would be a god send but unlikely I know.. It would be the greatest Christmas present EVER.. I very well remember the pain, the 7 hours of surgery, the blood transfusion, and the 6 days in the hospital from my first surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat to get rid of the pain I am in now.. I hope everyone here has a great recovery and if you are getting ready for surgery make sure you do everything they say when they say... Good luck everyone...

P.s. Just wanted to add that I have been doing PT 3 times a week and have had 2 ESI's (Spinal injections) all without any relief...
  • I'd be very interested to hear what your spinal surgeon says about the discs in your thoracic spine.
    As you can see, I have similar problems.

I haven't had surgery and am trying very hard to avoid it.

I've wondered if the problems in my lumbar spine might have caused the problems in my thoracic spine. I've heard that it is unusual to have problems in this area.

Take care
  • I will let you know what my surgeon says.. When I first went to my surgeon for the pain he thought it was going to turn out to be nothing major but since I had come form so far away he went ahead and did an MRI with contrast and low and behold we found the 3 disc that were messed up.. I of course do not understand MRI talk but this is what my MRI report says:

T5-T6: 2mm posterocentral protrusion indents the sac in the cord.

T6-T7: 1mm broad-based posterior protrusion mildly indents the sac.

T11-T12: 1mm broad-based posterior protrusion mildly indents the sac.

So I'm not sure what all of that means but I can tell you that it is causing me lots of pain.. The spot over my spine is very painful.. The pain comes all the way around to the front of my chest right at the bottom of my breast.. It feels like someone is squeezing me very tightly and won't let go.. In the past 3 days it has also began to become extremely painful when I take to deep a breath.. I think I could handle more of the pain if it wasn't starting to mess with my breathing.. Well I will let you guys know what he says tomorrow..
  • I just wanted to add that if at any time you have trouble breathing, if your doctor's office is closed you should go to the ER. Don't play around with that.