Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS Dec 15 2009-Problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
My husband is 43 and 5 years ago started having calf muscle cramps periodically. 3 years ago these go worse as well as some occassional scaly rashes, behind the knee, hip/butt, and lower back discomfort. In December 2008 he was referred to a PM. After review and sending to a Remt. Doctor and Neurologist, they completed some routine blood and MRI's with no contrast. The MRI showed MILD Lumbar Stenosis, everything else clear. By this time the pain was radiating up the spine and into the forearms with white spotty vision and occassional pins and needles hand and feeling. Cervical MRI was fine. They did 3 Spinal Epidurals, after each the pain was worse. In August it got too much and Edema mixed with skin temp changes, occassion nausea, and after a severe wave attack, dark urine or feeling like you cannot go. They redid the cervical MRI no contrast again, c4, c5, c6, c7 all stenosis and spondylosis with possible protrusion and myelopathy. My husband was considered candidate for SCS as pain meds are not working 100% and we have days of tears. His numbness is more noticed with the turn of the neck, sitting, standing, or any activity seem to trigger attacks. He has been diagnoses with sleep apnea at 80% but no CPAP yet.
To the point, he had the SCS trial yesterday. He cannot hardly move. The pain is still there to some extent and the tingling just seems to be a side distraction. His bandages are all red looking with blood and they have a cover so I cant change them. If he turns the stimulator to the point of relief his legs feel so heavy he cant move them. If he turns it down he is in PAIN! Please advise. I have beg them to do the Myelogram test recommended by MRI tech but no one will. His disability says mild lumbar stenosis and spondylosis of the lumbar and cervical, Hypertension, Focal Protrusion of C5, Chronic Pain, FIbro, Edema, Lack of Vitamin D and mysterious disappearance of Testorone, are not qualifications for disability. My husband has also had 2 spells recently where he lost sight totally for a period of 3-5 minutes. Anyone else have this? His Ammonia level is 140 also.

Oxycodone 7.5 every 4 hours
Fentanyl
Gabapentin 400mg x 4 a day
Buspar
Coreg
Amlodophine
Mcardis
Vitamin D
Zanaflex- 3 times daily
Naprelan- 3 x a day
Flurosimide 2 x a day
Savella
Magnesium

Has taken
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear that your husband is having such a tough time of things at the moment. His situation sounds very complex and I hope he has a primary care manager or someone specifically in charge of his care.

It is quite normal for there to be blood present under and on the bandages during the trial. They try to clean things up well, but the urgency is on covering everything up and sealing it as best they can to prevent infection. As long as there's no new seepage showing up, it's more than likely from just after the procedure.

Is the SCS trial for his shoulder and arms or is it for his legs or lower back? Just trying to figure out where the trial lead/s are placed. If he is extremely uncomfortable, don't hesitate to contact the doc's office.

Is your husband not considered a surgical candidate? Usually the SCS is not recommended until all surgical options have been explored or dismissed.

Wish I could help more. Welcome to Spine Health, I hope your husband finds relief soon!

"C"
  • AS ''C'' STATED YOUR HUSBAND'S CASE IS VERY COMPLEX. AS I READ YOUR DESCRIPTION OF HIS SYMPTOMS I BECAME CONCERNED EVEN MORE WHEN YOU MENTIONED HIS EYE TROUBLE. DOES HE ALSO HAVE EYE PAIN? I HAVE READ THAT A SPINE INFLAMATION DISEASE CALLED Ankylosing Spondylitis CAN CAUSE EYE PROBLEMS. IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET ANOTHER OPINION FROM A RHEUMATOLOGIST. ONE OTHER THING, YOU MAY WANT TO ASK YOUR DR. ABOUT THE DRUG GABAPENTIN AS EDEMA CAN BE AGGRAVATED BY ITS USE. PLEASE KEEP US POSTED AS TO YOUR HUSBAND'S PROGRESS. THERE ARE MANY MEMBERS HERE WHO WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH SUPPORT AND ADVICE.

JOAN
  • advertisement
  • Hello Talawson,

Sorry to hear you are having so many symptoms with no known diagnosis.

I used to have alot of muscle twitching cramping in my lower calves especially the right one. Also nagging acking pain in both legs and feet and was especially
    painful to have to get up and motivate after riding on short trips and awaking in the morning.

I am now 63 y.o. however had the lower leg pains since
    about age 50. These past two years have had blood clots in both lower legs and also some isphemic strokes plus congestive heart failure. I suggest
    you visit a vascular & heart doctor. When you lost your sight did you loose it as if someone pulled down a window shade????? Also varicose veins can
    cause some of your leg symptoms and they have a procedure now to fix that that is not to hard to get done.

I am new but thought I may be of some useful help for you.

Take CAre
    Larry
    Roswell NM USA
This discussion has been closed.