Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Diskectomy Surgery - Out Patient?

Comments

• I know a bit about those networks - I tried to just get another opinion and was told by my insurance company that the 'network' really frowned upon doctor shopping - they considered it drug shopping.

Needless to say I was shocked when I was told that! At the time I was only on ibuoprofen.

I had 3 dr.'s I could choose from, two of whom no longer accepted new patients.

On the other hand, I've also had to deal with a DH that was on oxycontin and lortab for years pior to surgery and unfortunately was horribly addicted. By the time he had his microdiscectomy, he was so far down that no medication worked, he was in agony.

After almost a year of recovery - and continued addiction (I do not use that term lightly - he was abusing his meds.) We had to intervene and he went into rehab. Besides all the pain he endured due to his tolerance level he also almost lost his family. It was tough. Now-a-days Oxycontin has the time-release built in and is harder to abuse- but that's all beside the point.

The only reason I mention it is that I find that if you have built up a tolerance to meds (NOT abusing, just the results of having to be on them for so long) then your dr. should have taken that into consideration and prescribed differently for you. Also - the 'bad rap' of addiction can really hinder good people in their search for relief. It's terrible what we have to go through and the situations we get forced into (from not being able to get another opinion to not being able to get the medication you need to heal) in order to get out from under the agony of back pain.

Best of luck Countryman. The only other advice I can give is to suggest that you practice some kind of meditation - you're going to need it to deal with everything - you don't want your blood pressure spiking with all the added stress of the healthcare issues on top of all your pain.

• Thanks again for all your advice/help.

I finally called my NS and he refilled my meds but of course
    he cut the dosages in HALF. I talked to the Nurse during a bad spell of pain and I think she realized that I am not faking it. They called back yesterday and scheduled a new
    MRI to see what's going on. Will know more next Tuesday after the MRI.

Of course with my luck I had to go to an Oral Surgeon yesterday and have some infected roots and 1 molar cut out.
    Fortunately he did and exceptional job with the local anesthesia and the surgery. Have 3 stitches that will dissolve in a week and the pain and discomfort is minimal compared to my back and leg pain. He also gave me a stronger
    pain med for a week which is helping me deal with the back pain.

Suprised that having your jaw cut open and sewn back up can be less painfull than back pain. I have had tooth aches that make you cry. But this confused me because Everyone says the pain is unbearable after cutting teeth out by an Oral Surgeon. Just pray I don't get dry socket, son-in Law who's a Cop said he did and it was as bad as the surgery.

Thanks Again,

Everyone Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS & a HAPPY NEW YEAR,
    remember Santa is for kids and Jesus is for REAL people!

• advertisement
  • Thanks for the info/advice.

As I mentioned in the other reply I will have a New MRI
    next week to see what's up. Last MRI is from almost a
    year ago.

Have managed my pain with lortabs for over a year. Over
    time it takes more to relieve the pain. I have had several
    drug tests at work and Passed ALL of them proving regularly that I do NOT take more than I am prescribed. They always send off your urine to tests levels in your system where I work to ensure your are not DUI at work. Can't blame them because alot of people abuse them, usually they are not the type of people who hold a job for more than a few months.
    I've been at my job 12 yrs plus and been a foreman for more than 7 years.

Hopefully they'll fix my back soon and I can return to work
    off pain meds of any sort. That's what I hope and pray for on a regular basis. We'll see if my insurance company will actually pay for it though. We are self-insured and been told it's their job to save employer money and they get incentives for doing so.....

Have a Merry Merry and a Happy Happy...
  • I can't believe your doc cut your dosages in half! Did you ask him why he did that? Maybe if you confront him and explain about the pee tests at work, he will be more understanding. I am sitting here absolutely livid at how they are treating you. And what if the MRI shows nothing new, does that mean they are going to think you have been faking the pain? Ridiculous.

Are you in the Union? It sounds like it from your post, my husband is a Union worker and they get drug tested every so often I think. I would think that would satisfy your doctor and allow him to increase the pain meds.

I hope you have a good Christmas (if you celebrate it), I'm glad the dentist's pain meds are helping your back situation.
  • Hello Again,

I am not suprised by anything nowadays, just talked to
    a friend (RN) visiting my neighbor.

She wanted an update and was upset and wants me to change
    NS asap. Told her I would after he releases me next month,
    plus see what he says on new MRI. Will get copy for new NS.

We are randomly drug tested at work at least twice a year and if you have ANY accident of any kind even if someone else causes the accident. They have found it's a way to get
    rid of people and replace them with someone at a lower wage.

No, we are not union, being a foreman I have been to management training classes where we were taught how to stop
    Union activity and warned we would be fired if we were involved in any way with Union people.
    Also instructed how to avoid in Unemployment Claims and workman's comp. and the like.
    Gotta love these "Right to Work" States, more like screw
    the workers states.

Hope ya had a Merry Merry and have a Happy Happy...
  • advertisement
  • Had a new MRI done Wednesday, wish they would
    have told me it was the small machine. I am
    very claustrophbic, bout lost it...45min...

Have results Monday I hope, may travel to Little
    Rock for a new NeuroSurgeon. Found they're are
    only 9 near me and 7 of 9 are associated with the
    NEA Hospital system. They suck, they are all about
    money, don't give a damn about patients.

Still have leg pain, back pain is worse. Well we
    now know which disc was causing my back pain. It's
    the one they cut on to stop my leg pain. Life
    kinda sucks here, gotta go back to work in same
    condition or worse than before in 2 weeks.

Hey, had a good Christmas and New Year and we are
    all still alive. Have something to be grateful
    for I guess.
  • Most MRI's are small machines. Best to have someone drive you and take a valium before going in. If that's not possible, I found that if you close your eyes BEFORE they send you in the tube and leave them shut, there is less anxiety b/c you can pretend it's not so small in there.

I am glad you are taking charge of your health. I'm changing doctors, mostly b/c insurance is not making it as affordable to negotiate with an out of network doctor. For 1 more surgery, i could negotiate but if it doesn't work, I wanted to built a relationship with an in network doctor.

If you lived in the northeast, I could help recommend folks in PM but I know no one near you. I will send you one recommendation via PM.
  • First MRI was in a larger more open MRI for large people.
    Second was small, NS requested it for better detail and
    contrast. Was suppose to get a Valium post MRI but the
    Pharmacy or the NS' office screwed up figure it was latter.

I took my meds. I had to dull my senses but it was
    what I would consider a traumatic experience. Won't
    do it again without something to calm my nerves.

Have arranged for a NS hours away to look at my MRI
    results after I get them Monday. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for all your advice...
  • that stinks about the valium. Yes if you can get a valium pre MRI (about 15 mins) you will generally be ok. After surgery they need to do with & withoutcontrast b/c otherwise they can't distinguish b/t scar tissue.

Sounds rough but like you toughed it out.
advertisement