Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

What Can I Do, Should I Go To The Hospital?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
I have severe pain in my right hip that travels down my leg, into my butttock and my foot is hot and tingly all the time. I have had a recent cortizone shot on Wednesday and am on day 4 of a 20 Mg prednisone treatment. I was at the hospital two and a half weeks ago and given steroids then also. It is almost ripping me apart inside. I have had both an MRI and Myleogram that show an extruded disc. I can barely stand the pain any longer. My neuro guy wants me to have an EMG but I'm sick of getting poked and prodded. I can barely move due to the hip and leg pain any more.

I need some ideas here, he says my symptoms arn't true to my MRI but I amalmost ready to shoot myself here so somebody will pay attention to me. Of course this is rather far fetched but I am hurting badly.


  • The only thing the ER will normally do for you is get your pain level down and send you home with instructions to contact your own doc. Does your doc have an answering service for the weekends? If so maybe a call to them will get the ball rolling a bit faster. Either way if you are in that much pain, you need to stay in your docs face until you get a referral to the right specialist or something is successful in treating your pain. What kind of doc is treating you? Have you seen a spine specialist yet?

    Welcome to Spine Health.

  • My opinion is to go to the ER and at least the pain will be documented. If your pain is unbearable then you should go for pain relief at the very least.

    Can you get a second opinion?

    Good luck,

  • advertisement
  • When you go to the hospital they will try there best to bring down the pain and send you home. I do not see a reason why you need an EMG at this point as you had an MRI and Mylogram. That should be more than enough info there that is shows a protrusion. Where is it and how large?

    I would suggest you go back to your doc and go straight to a PM to see if they can reduce the pain and get you on a path of recovery based upon doctor advice.

    I do not know the degree of your pain but I would go get some aleeve and take atleast two in the morning and two at night and than based upon your description ice, ice, ice your lower back. Hopefully this can calm down the nerve.

  • The most important thing is to get sufficient information about your condition prior to moving to the next step, nobody here wants to be poked or prodded and this is part of the ongoing process to finding what is wrong and sometimes part of the treatment itself.

    The shot you had may only mask the pain of your underlying condition for a variable time, evidence here suggest finding the root cause of our pain is not as simplistic as we imagine and many here continue in that continuing evaluation process.

    As someone said, have you asked why an EMG is appropriate when you have had a MRI and Mylogram already. Managing your pain may be the most appropriate action prior to what the final decision may be, the waiting is never easy.

    Take care and hope today is better.

  • Good points brought up on previous posts. Have you been prescribed any physical therapy yet? Sometimes gentle stretching of hamstrings and buttock muscles can bring some relief. You have to be consistent with these doing them a couple times a day. Getting your pain under control is important so you can start some form of treatment.

    Best wishes,

  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.