Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery Time?

Comments

• Magic Mike, I decided to try and stop taking my Oxycodone at about 7 weeks post op. I didn't take it for two days, figuring I was feeling better & didn't need it so often. On the 3rd day, I felt like I had the flu. I was achey, stiff, irritable, cranky, etc. My entire body hurt, from my head to my toes. Turns out I went through withdrawal! I took a pill and the symptoms went away.

At my last meeting with my pain management doctor we talked about me getting off the pain meds. He said he wants me to do it very slowly, over the course of about 2-3 months. Not everyone experiences the withdrawals so quickly or at all, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

The Lyrica I take to help with my nerve pain. My PM doc says I will likely be on them for about 6 months. He is the professional, I am going to listen to him and continue taking them.

My advice to you would be to follow your doctor's orders. If you want to be off meds, tell your doctor first.

Edited to add: I'm not sure what type of surgery you had exactly, but if you had a fusion do NOT take ibuprofen! It prohibits bone growth. I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen for a year after surgery.
  • thanks for the comment dave.

this has been a great day, i feel better than i did waking up from surgery. now that's a weird statement. i actually felt pretty good after surgery. however, i rank today as the best yet. i almost got the motorcycle out and went for a ride.

i've been out most of the day, spent some time walking around walmart, went visiting, walked around the flea market, just stayed busy. the last two days i’ve been using a cane and i left it home today. this morning was great, jumped out of bed like nothing was wrong. i still feel great.

i’m glad i didn’t have to wait for surgery as long as some of the stories i‘ve seen here, including yours. now i just hope most days for a while are as good as today. the only med that i took today besides my meds for shaking and sinus was naproxen and i think tomorrow i’ll go back to otc aleve.

as to quick recovery, i got that information here, as well as from the doc.

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/return-exercise-after-microdiscectomy-surgery

i really expected to be uncomfortable after surgery. i’ve had three hernia repairs on the other side and only one of them was not painful upon waking after surgery. i told my wife i would probably need ice packs on my back after surgery so was quite pleased to wake up feeling so well after this one. i’m still pissed that they admitted me instead of sending me home just because i couldn’t pee. the hospital is no place to rest and recover.

mike
  • advertisement
  • Noseovertail, I updated my footer message. I was taking Tylox (5 mg Oxycondone) for about a month prior to surgery. Several weeks ago my neurologist gave me a script for Lyrika to get me off the oxy. I also started taking Prednisone to help as well. So I suppose I could say I have been working my way off the Oxycodone since a day or two before surgery, and the Neurosurgeon gave me another script for Tylox. I have not and plan not to fill it. I took it initially because I knew that to heal I needed to rest.

All this is easy for me to say right now, because I am (as I sit right now at the computer) completely pain free and have not had anything stronger than the Naproxen (NSAID) for two days. If my wife was looking over my shoulder she would be reminding me of what a wus I was a few days or few weeks ago.

Mike
  • I have used a treadmill after every surgery without any issues. In fact it was and is a tremendous help. I found road and trail walking to be far more of an irritant and painful than walking on a shock absorbing treadmill. Having a treadmill to use allowed me to do more walks more frequently and gave me handrails for support if needed. If all I would have had for walking was the outdoors, I would not have recovered as quickly, I firmly believe.

Everyone's case is different, everyone's docs have different recommendations. My NS is very pro-exercise and activity very quickly after surgery. The only time he told me to slow down was when I was walking 7 miles a day at 2 weeks post op double laminectomy.

With a treadmill, I can manage to get in a walk even when no one is around to help me with shoes. I've walked many miles on my treadmill in a pair of sandals because that's all I could get on by myself.

So I'm very pro-treadmill (a good quality one) versus road walking.

Hope you are feeling better.

"C"
  • Surprised at all the different "regiments" of the drugs we take. I've been on Gabepentin (Nuerontin) for 3 years, Hydrocodone for a year. After the surgery the doc has me on Oxy, Gabepentin, a steroid pack and Benedryl before bed.
    I'm 8 days out of surgery and the back is getting better but the leg pain is still here. I'm sure I just need time and to walk it out.
    Merry Xmas to all !!
  • advertisement
advertisement