Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

back pain and Narcotics

advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I am so glad to hear everone's comments. It is good to know that for some of us we may be able to get off the medications or at least lower the mg. My PM has started working with me at my request because I no longer know what my actual pain level is. I am so tired of being in a stupor but when I do get to busy and forget to take my pain medication as prescribed for break through I pay for the next hour or more. At the same time I am glad I was reminded it wasn't in my mind.

I just went back too work on Monday and it's been tough. Sitting continues to be a major problem. Thru God's help I'm taking one day at a time. With PT, walking, stretching and water therapy my back has to get better.

Hoping for the best! I sure do miss having a smoke.

p.s. My PM said it may take up to 6 months. He is going slow, which I am glad but he mentioned it may be necessary to keep a few IR oxycodones.

I tried replacihng tylenol, aleve and would end up taking to many pills with discomfort then taking the pain med because I was still in pain.
    11/30/2010- 360 bi level fusion L4 L5, L5 S1
    7/5/12-Revised surgery. Remv of loose hwdware, replace 6 pedicle screws and 5.5 titanium rods. Inferior laminotomy R L5 and facetectomy to deep ligamentum.
    2014 MRI indicates L3-L4 disc bulge,
  • Hi all,
    I'm brand spanking new to this forum. I found it because of my own journey with back issues, pain and pain meds. I won't go into a long detailed history of what I'm dealing with or what I take. Some info is appropriate.
    I'm 53 and in great shape. I've always been hard on my back. Started weigh lifting at 14, high school football and wrestling. Some extreme manual labor jobs, power lifting as a hobby from age 24 to two years ago. I was hit by a car in 1979, concussion, broken right occipital orbit, maxillary sinus, many-many stitches in my head and lots of road rash. Tore muscles in my right back from top to bottom. Refused detailed examination and left against advise.
    Everything changed 1-1/2 years ago. Fell and fractured my L3, 180 degree herniation of disc above and below, bulged two below that. CT and MRI also revealed extensive stenosis and osteophytes. Also dealing with a numb right leg when I stand from my knee up through my right buttock. Horrible pain in right lower back, right buttock, groin and inner right thigh. Slowly but surely worked through a lot of treatments to get where I am. Facet blocks, RFAs, PT, traction. Currently taking an ER medicine, breakthrough meds and muscle relaxer. Have avoided surgery because of the odds of good outcome based on my surgeon's talk with me.
    I am also a person with 17 years of recovery from both alcohol and narcotics. Completely open with all who treat me. I am at a point where I am not willing to live my life on pain meds. I am a 4-6 day to day with pain relief. The number is relative. FWIW, I've experienced a 10 once in my life. Line drive baseball to the testicles with no protection. Instant vomiting and blacked out. Four-day recovery. I am very aware of how meds make me feel and I do not want to live like this. If I view the pain and balance it against the "feel" of medications, I think I'm going to choose the pain.
    I'm at the point that I'm going to try the surgery and see what happens. It may take care of the pain causing issues. If it doesn't, I need to make a choice. As I've been told, and read, everyone develops a tolerance to opiods. Not an addiction, but a dependence requiring higher and higher doses to achieve the same results. It's just how it works.
    I am not in any way judging anyone here and hope I am not offending anybody. Just sharing my experience and thoughts. So far, this forum is providing a connection to many people who are going through issues similar to mine. I live in a recovery world where some have a very strict view of what is "sober" and what isn't. They don't , for the most part know what it's like to live with real pain that doesn't go away.
    I can say that I am very heartened that there are others facing and dealing with the decision to stop or drastically reduce medications. It’s helping with my decision.
    Take care all.
    Ken
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.