Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Medication management?

Stager NJSStager NJ Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Good Day:
I am new and apologize in advance if I have missed another post that may answer my questions.
I have a history of C5-6 and C6-7 neural foraminal narrowing due to disc herniation, significant uncovertebral joint hypertrophy at C6-7 resulting in impingement upon the exiting left C6 and C7 nerve roots.
This has resulted in severe headaches as well as numbness in my upper left are. The headaches are not constant but frequent enough to interfere in my daily life.
My PA has tried Lyrica, Ultram as well as steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs to no avail. He has just referred me to a pain management specialist.
What kind of medications have other had experience with in similar situations? My PA mentioned narcotic medications. Has that been anyone's experience?
Also, we discussed the possibility of epidural injections.
I am not asking medical advice, just personal experiences.
Thank you in advance.


  • Although I have had cervical issues I have problems with lumber right now. The epidurals and Cymbalta have helped my pain and numbness to legs and the ms contin helps my overall pain and make it bearable. This is my personal experiences and I hope you get some pain relief from your treatments. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of info on this site and the members of the forum are very knowledgeable, helpful and supportive.

    I think a referral to pain management is good because they will most likely try some conservative measures, but in my opinion, I'd ask to be referred to a fellowship-trained spine surgeon. They can be either ortho or neuro, but someone who only works on spines. Many times they're a part of a spine center that includes Physio docs that can try injections, PT, etc. Just to be clear though, seeing a spine surgeon doesn't automatically mean surgery. It means that they know more about the spine than non-fellowship-trained doctors and surgeons and can most likely set you on the right path for you to find eventual relief.

    I really think that with your history you need to have a spine specialist find out exactly what's going on and explain why they're suggesting a particular treatment plan so that you likely don't end up with any permanent nerve damage in the future.

    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to vent - I'm also a neckie and have been there.

    Take care,
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for both of your responses.
    Cath, I have also scheduled an appt. with an ortho surgeon. This is pretty new territory for me. Will an ortho surgeon manage meds as well or will I require a pain specialist too?
    My primary is a PA and is not comfortable with narcotic management if a specialist is willing to handle that.
    I don't want to start seeing a battery of doctors if one is more appropriate than another.
Sign In or Register to comment.