Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Isn't it funny...

Comments

• It's kind of sad just how pampered and wimpy this society is. The first question regarding surgery should revolve around it fixing your problem. Yet most immediately jump to will it hurt and how much and how long. Will I get enough meds so it won't hurt until I'm all better. The answer is NO. You will have to deal with pain. It will hurt and it will take a while before it goes away.

Surgery is there to fix a problem with your body. It doesn't necessarily mean all the pain goes away either. Surgeons consider successful surgery as the parts are all glued and screwed together just right. No measure of your pain is involved. That is a separate issue. Pain is usually the driving force that makes you go to the doctor.

2 weeks post op from fusion i got some emails from people at work. Most were hoping I was doing well. Some were complaining vacation was over. I should get back and help out. I sent everyone an x-ray image from 2 weeks post op. I got no more emails saying vacation is over. I got a lot of email saying, "ouch", "OMG", "stay home", etc. My boss sent me a note and said don't show up until you are properly healed. That looks like it must suck...

Pain becomes a personal thing as we all have different thresholds. But this is a society of pampered sissies. I hear them crying and whining when they get their flu shots. All I can think is, Oh shutup ;-)

I agree with you Linda. Bring your spouse or SO with you. Let them see and hear the doctor. Let them ask questions. Keep them involved.

Saltz. Tell you husband there is a major difference in a micro and fusion. I had a micro first. That was nothing. I laid back for 3 days doped up. Then got moving. Returned to work in 3 weeks. I had the surgery in the morning and was sitting in Cracker Barrel having brunch in the early afternoon. I got a handful of Darvocets to deal with the pain. I didn't feel quite as chipper after fusion...

Graham
  • Bobbi Jo- Kudos to you. I cannot imagine how my attitude would have changed if things had gone drastically wrong for me. I know I had complications and I have to live with them for life probably - but still, permanent nerve damage is just a blip for me to deal with compared to having no relief or even worse pain post-op. AND - it does happen. It IS possible to be worse off.

SpineAZ & Z06- I do have to add that my DH's oxycontin addiction may have contributed a lot to his frame of mind. I'm pretty positive that he had built up quite a resistance and that not only was he dealing with that but also was having withdrawals while in the hospital. Confronting him about his abuse and putting him into rehab saved him. He had given me all the signs that he was in over his head and needed help and was hoping I'd draw a line and force him into helping himself. I was just too dense to hear it until it was almost too late.

I tease him now that he's just a man and can't handle pain. Hey -if, after 25 years, he can't handle a bit of teasing... ;) - oh, and I hope to heck that he doesn't ever have to experience a full-on fusion.
  • advertisement