Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

If you could do it over, what would you have done to prevent DDD?

advertisement

Comments

• I agree with Ron (and all others who posted here). You can do many thinks for keeping your spine healthy, but at the end, you can maybe delay, but can't stop the ravages of time, aging, that is. Ce la vie!

Kin
  • dilauro said:
    Some of the items mentioned in the original post here are really good points in terms of overall good health. But even following every one of them, you are not going to stop DDD.
    How do you know that?

In the article I posted, signs associated with DDD weren't just slowed, they were reversed. And that this reversal was accompanied with a decrease in symptoms, I think this is very promising to those with symptomatic DDD.

But your skepticism is appreciated. There's still a lot of questions I have, so I'll have to see what's out there regarding all of this.

• advertisement
  • Hindsight is 20/20 so I can't say I would have done anything differently but let's face it, I would have.

I already eat relatively healthy and worked out but

1 - would have cut back my running
    2 - understood what a "chronic" back sufferer should beware of...I guess I assumed the majority of people just live with occassional flare ups but I should have read more because knowledge is power. I just assumed I would stay status quo for another 20 years.

I guess I did what the doctors advised so the only thing I should have done is cut back on the distance running.

• Once again it is all about who you want to believe and what research you want to subscribe to. Degenerative Disc Disease also known as Spondylosis is a very broad categorization of multiple issues that surround the intervertebral discs and subsequently vertebrae themselves. It encompasses everything from annular tears, loss of disc height, bone spurs, arthritis all of which can lead to issues with the ligaments, facets and even stenosis.

The discs themselves go through quite a change as we age and will dry out and begin to shrink and lose their ability to cushion our spine. It's a fact of life that cannot be changed. Maybe slowed through proper diet and exercise, but age ultimately wins out in the end.

As our discs go through this change, the vertebrae will take on their own issues whether it be arthritis, facet hypertrophy or stenosis.

We can lessen the symtoms that are typically associated with DDD, but to actually reverse the condition, is not known to occur without some sort of surgical intervention.

Possibly if you have found the "fountain of youth" or have a new anti-aging formula ...

Yes there are a few studies that are done and posted by companies that are trying to sell supplements for those suffering fibromyalgia, that claim to be the answer for slowing, stopping and reversing the damage associated with DDD. I find it easier to believe the National Institute of Health, John's Hopkins, The Cleveland Clinic, The Mayfield Clinic, US Military Medicine, American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American Pain Foundation to name a few versus corporations trying to sell a product and a few docs they hired to give them testimonials.

I think it is a novel idea and I completely support doing everything we possibly can to remain healthy and slow the process of aging. I believe that there's a lot we can do as individuals through diet and exercise to stave off injury as well as to strengthen and protect our spines from further injury. Encouraging soft tissue health and increased blood circulation to the spine is probably one of the best things we can do. To expect it to correct a degenerative condition to the point of reversing it though ... well for now I will stick with the well established and documented facts on it.

Let me know when you find a way to prevent and or reverse the aging process.

"C"

• I don't know if you can prevent DDD but think it's caused by hereditary(genes) and proper body mechanics. I have loss of signal intensity in my spine which to me shows there's something like a nerve compressed and that's why I still have pain or the annular tear that I had with my recent herniated disc.

I wish I had known not to bend from my waist but instead to crouch down and pick up a load (blankets and linens etc.) Also I would recommend carrying that load close to your body instead of at arm's length such as when there were soiled linens etc. at the hospital. I would make sure that I used a cart instead of carrying heavy items in my hands and arms.

But I think to stop it getting worse is to practice those things in learning proper body mechanics even though I said yeah yeah I can handle it I'm strong.

Also strengthening core abdominal muscles and keeping the weight down to a normal range. They are saying that repetitive lifting bending and turning as in my job made it worse. But although both my parents have DDD and my Mother more osteoporosis in her spine it is hereditary but both my parents are active and Father plays golf 3 days a week and he's 74 and my Mother is a real mall and beach walker at 69. They feel bad for me as of course I'm only in my late 40's.

I think it is though if you find someone with a herniated disc or DDD they may not have pain and continue working and exercising,then there's another like me who had a small herniated disc with an annular tear and DDD that knocked me off my feet for almost 2 years now and some people for even longer.
    As for surgery no Doctor would operate on me to make me functional again and there's no guarantees with surgery but I think I would benefit from it and I'm still looking for someone to help me. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • DNice said:
    Hindsight is 20/20 so I can't say I would have done anything differently but let's face it, I would have.

I already eat relatively healthy and worked out but

1 - would have cut back my running
    2 - understood what a "chronic" back sufferer should beware of...I guess I assumed the majority of people just live with occassional flare ups but I should have read more because knowledge is power. I just assumed I would stay status quo for another 20 years.

I guess I did what the doctors advised so the only thing I should have done is cut back on the distance running.
    Do you think there was something mechanically wrong with your running, such as posture? Did running exacerbate your back pain? If so, did you ignore the pain?

• Good info, but the NIH et al should get their best info from the same place I do, peer reviewed research articles. I don't rely on product advertisements.

"[DDD is]a fact of life that cannot be changed. Maybe slowed through proper diet and exercise, but age ultimately wins out in the end...

Encouraging soft tissue health and increased blood circulation to the spine is probably one of the best things we can do."

I think we fundamentally agree that something can be done to improve spine health. In regards to reversal of DDD, I think that there is potential for reversing specific characteristics associated with DDD, such as disk height, hydration, and disk content. I agree that other changes, such as bone spurs, are likely permanent.

If reversal of DDD turns out to be impossible, but if it is possible to slow DDD, for me, that would still be a motivational factor. Just as the inevitability of death doesn't discourage people from making an effort to improve the quality and length of their lives.

"To expect it to correct a degenerative condition to the point of reversing it though ... well for now I will stick with the well established and documented facts on it."
    Documentation, please.
  • :H Hi everyone

All this time I'm thinking there is no prevention for DDD. I have servere DDD before my back surgery and I also have servere Spinal Stenous (spelling)? There have been no exrays since two weeks after the surgery so I have no idea what my spine is like except the way I feel. I'm am living in a different state so there is no free medical here to get more exrays. :''( Thanks for allowing me to vent.
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Hi everyone, not to change the subject, but I was looking for testimonials from people that have had Artificial Arthroplasty because I am fighting the insurance company over it.
    I was diagnosed in May and only because it became disabling to me. I am the type of person that doesn't go to a doctor unless I feel like I am dieing.
    I am supposed to be in surgery this very moment getting Artificial disc replacement. The insurance company said it was an excluded surgery treatment and then said it wasn't medically necessary on the appeal my doctor sent to them.
    I have insisted on working up to Friday, 1/15/10, but I don't think I can anymore. I have a desk job at the bank. Sitting all day hurts but so does getting up and down for the printer and fax.
    So when this was more than I could handle I went to find out what was going on. I had a car accident in Sept 2008 and then another in Sept 2009 but I was hurting before those. I am allergic to hydro-cortisone, no other treatments have helped, I think they worsened the pain. My PT warned me that it might. I am 105 pounds overweight because my activity had slowly decreased over the past 5 or more years from the pain. I have smoked since the age of 13, not that I haven't tried quitting. I don't want to even try fusion because of what I have read about fusion with overweight smokers.
    If anyone can provide some of their testimonials from having artificial disc surgery, perferrably those that have had it many years ago, it would greatly apprciated. You are welcome to private message me if you don't want to share it in the forums.
  • Hummmmmmmmm the only thing that will help me is to
    lose about 40 years off of my age 61 here

Jim
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.