Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long no BLT ???

advertisement

Comments

• wine,beer,Baileys Irish Creme---good stuff,and they all help relax us--you are welcome,jelly
  • I just had my 8 weeks post op visit for 2 level fusion with hardware at L4-S1, (and my fusion has started!) yeah! But the doctor told me I could bend over and move around all I wanted too. I can only sit for about 2-3 hours tops before I have to go lie down.
    Hope this little bit of info helps, and I know that everyone is different in their healing process and different surgeons recommend different things. This is what my particular NS told me.
  • advertisement
  • My surgeon has been fairly vague. At 6 weeks he said don't bend. I saw him this week (13 weeks tomorrow) and he said I could try it. I said "no thanks!" cos I can tell that it would hurt. He said a good rule is if it hurts don't do it. Putting socks on is really hard by the way - and tying shoelaces!
    I really can't lift stuff yet. Shopping in and out of the car - needs to be in really small amounts. Stuff that is low down has to be really light, stuff on the work top can be a bit heavier. At school today (I am a teacher) I had to get a kid to lift the laptop that someone had (helpfully) left in an undercounter cupboard because it was too heavy.
    Twisting - I am a lot stiffer in the car - I have noticed that I find it much harder to see at junctions.
    So - although my surgeon said I would be "independent" once let out of hospital I don't know how I would manage if I didn't have the husband to lift, carry, get stuff out of the ground level fridge and cupboards etc!
  • I think this is a good example of how differently everyone's situation and healing process is. Unfortunately I was alone during about 99% of my recovery, including my first few days after surgery and being released from the hospital. So I learned to squat a lot when I needed to get something off the floor (that I couldn't get with the grabber). By my first full day home from the hospital I showered completely by myself (with a shower seat) and even shaved my legs (that made me very happy haha). I was back to work by week 4 of recovery and was told to not sit for more than an hour by then. Aside from that really had no clear instructions other than that I also got the "if it hurts don't do it" speech. By week 6 I was able to sit through a movie at the theater without any pain, just a little discomfort that made me switch positions a few times.

At my last appointment on Dec 15 - my 10 week follow-up - my OS said fusion had begun and that I was doing fabulously so I should continue whatever I was doing because it was working, and that by Spring I should be able to return to sports (I was an avid softball player until my back ruined that). So obviously the no BLT won't really apply by then. But no matter how well I'm doing, I keep that rule in mind anyway, because no matter how good and strong I feel, it's obvious to me that it is time to make some lifestyle changes to avoid more surgery in the future.

My point is that there are definite general guidelines, and your surgeon should be able to give you much clearer guidelines that will apply to you specifically. But I would also recommend considering how you can make changes to what you do and how you do it to take care of your back in the long term...no just immediately post-surgery.

Best of luck!

• I haven't thought about this before, but how do you clean yourself after using the restroom after a 2 level fusion? Is it possible? I tried going through the motions without bending or twisting, and it is impossible.

My wife would do it, but I do not want her to.
  • advertisement
  • It's not easy. I think most of us manage it, but there are also some TP holders that I've heard you can buy that help... anyone know what I'm talking about?
  • jason,you can also get a squirt bottle,and use it to rinse off---then when you stand,or lie down you can use a hot rag to finish cleaning---I did this,and it worked well--let me know
  • I didn't have any issues at all after my 2 level fusion, not even in the hospital....but then again I didn't have really any of the issues most people seem to after fusion. Or maybe I just have really long arms... =))

Here is what saltzworks was referring to -

http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/bottom-buddy-toilet-tissue-holder

• I don't think the doctor advises restrictions according to the individual person. It is more a reflection of the way he was trained and what he has found from his personal practice.

With a fusion, technically the hardware is strong enough to withstand movement, but who wants to push it and later find out you are the one in a thousand that doesn't fall into the category? In the course of a lifetime, it isn't much of a sacrifice to be careful and to limit activity for three months, especially if it means a strong fusion that will be long-lasting.

Bear in mind that some surgeons are intentionally vague in what they tell you so you can't come back at them if something happens doing an activity the doctor said was OK.
advertisement