Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Updated report from ESI On March 4th...Extremely painful needle insertion at L5-S1....Blame scar tis

Comments

• kkubala said:
    That is great, Stansoup. I am counting down the days until my injection (next Tues) and hope I have the same success! Are you off all meds?

You may have overlooked my comment in an earlier post that said I have cut back on my pain meds. I have stopped the breakthrough medicine completely, but I cant stop taking the Methadone completely or I'll start to get very sick (withdrawl). I will discuss this issue with my regular pain doctor at my next appointment in 2 weeks. I will ask him to start lowering my doses of Methadone from 60mgs per day to whatever he thinks is appropriate. (The injection was done by a Workers Compensation doctor). I'll probably never be able to stop the pain killers 100%, because thats just how severe chronic back problems are, and we all know that an ESI is not a cure and usually wears off in time.

Good luck with your injection.

By the way....I still feel great!
  • My caudal ESI went fine yesterday, but it will be a a few days before I know if it really worked. They say it can take up to 10 days for the steroid to kick in. I went in with a pain level of 2 out of 10 because of so many days of rest beforehand. I still feel a twinge of sciatica, but it's not pain or discomfort...just weirdness. How is that for a medical term?

The real test is when I go back to work on Friday. Just icing and resting until then. Fingers crossed!
  • advertisement
  • kkubala said:
    My caudal ESI went fine yesterday, but it will be a a few days before I know if it really worked. They say it can take up to 10 days for the steroid to kick in. I went in with a pain level of 2 out of 10 because of so many days of rest beforehand. I still feel a twinge of sciatica, but it's not pain or discomfort...just weirdness. How is that for a medical term?

The real test is when I go back to work on Friday. Just icing and resting until then. Fingers crossed!

Hi.

Glad to see that you made it through the injections. I hope you recieve the full effects of the steroid and get the relief you are looking for.

As for me, yesterday was a bad day at work. We were short handed and I was on my feet in the warehouse for 8 hours. One 15 minute break, no lunch, (I think thats illegal) and lots of walking and standing. Im a truckdriver for my company but there were no deliveries, so I had to help out in the yard and warehouse. By 3 o'clock my back pain was approaching an 8 or 9. This was the first day since my injections that I hurt that bad.

The good news is, this morning my back feels fine again. Yesterday must have been breakthrough pain and it has gone away. Yesterdays pain was quite a reminder of how I felt (on a daily basis) before my injections.

Anyway, I wish you good luck and longterm relief from your injections. Keep in touch, ok?

Stan
  • Hi Stan. Thanks for the update. Sorry that your back acted up on Friday. I hope you're still feeling some relief. I know you stopped your breakthrough meds, but do you still have them to use on the bad days?

As for me, I'm feeling good. Friday was my first day back at work post-ESI and it was ok. Very uncomfortable in the afternoon, but it wasn't necessarily pain. After work, I came home and iced and rested for several hours and then I felt brand new again. Weekend has been good. Not looking forward to work tomorrow....I love my job, but hate not knowing what condition I'll be in once I get there. I don't have pain meds to save me if I ever really get into some pain trouble. :(

Take care and have a great week. I hope your ESI continues to work!

• As I have experienced many times before with previous injections, they start to wear off in about 6-8 weeks. That is the case with the injections I recieved on Jan. 14th, 2010.

I am experiencing breakthrough pain and had a very bad day at work as described in a previous post above. I am scheduled for another ESI on March 4th. The idea is to "stack" the injections quickly before the pain comes back in full force.

I am all for it. I experienced 100% pain relief about 2 weeks after the first round of injections, and Im hoping more of the anti-inflammatory steroid will help for a longer time.

After this next ESI, I can have one more. Ill see how it goes and Ill stay in touch.

Stan
  • advertisement
  • Good luck on the next injection. Injections are bittersweet and frustrating - from pain to no pain to pain again.

I never got 100% relief from my ESI, but I do feel better than I have in a few months, so I'm thinking it worked somewhat. Doc said the cortisone can continue to work in the coming days even if I didn't get full relief. The jury is still out. But for $2200, I'm likely not going to get another one. I'm switching my meds....going on Lyrica and Mobic. We'll see.

Have a great weekend!
    Kathryn
  • Per Kathryn:
    Good luck on the next injection. Injections are bittersweet and frustrating - from pain to no pain to pain again.
    Thanks Kathryn.

Man, you got that right about bittersweet and frustrating. You go from debilitating pain to almost 100% relief....then back to the pain again.

Heck, 2-3 weeks ago I was getting 24/7 100% relief. Now Im getting moderate pain relief and its not around the clock like it was 2 weeks ago. When the breakthrough pain hits, it culminates to the point where I cant stand anymore....just like before the injections.

This time Im very optimistic about the next injections (March 4, 2010) because the first one hasnt completely worn off. I believe "stacking" the injections will greatly increase the period of time I will experience pain relief.

Stan
  • To how many nerve blocks and/or injections you can receive in a year, etc.?

I will be having my first nerve block with coccyx injections in March. I am so anxious for any kind of relief these might provide. I had great success with an epidural during my last childbirth delivery, so I'm trying to maintain a positive outcome this time around. :)

It's great to hear the success stories. I am in such excrutiating pain with my busted up tailbone and the pain is now radiating into my hips, when I lay on my back. I'm having such difficulty getting comfortable.

Again, I am wondering if there is ever a limit to how many injections and/or nerve blocks a person can have?

It would be awesome to continue this "stacking" treatment plan, Stan. So nice to hear of the relief you are getting. I am happy for you. :)

Thanks for any input and best wishes to all,

Tammy
  • TTLC said:
    To how many nerve blocks and/or injections you can receive in a year, etc.?

I will be having my first nerve block with coccyx injections in March. I am so anxious for any kind of relief these might provide. I had great success with an epidural during my last childbirth delivery, so I'm trying to maintain a positive outcome this time around. :)

It's great to hear the success stories. I am in such excrutiating pain with my busted up tailbone and the pain is now radiating into my hips, when I lay on my back. I'm having such difficulty getting comfortable.

Again, I am wondering if there is ever a limit to how many injections and/or nerve blocks a person can have?

It would be awesome to continue this "stacking" treatment plan, Stan. So nice to hear of the relief you are getting. I am happy for you. :)

Thanks for any input and best wishes to all,

Tammy

Thanks for the kind words Tammy.

From what Ive come to believe, its no more than 3 injections per 12 months...no matter how close or far apart the injections are. Also, from what I understand, after 3 injections the steroid does not get absorbed by the nerve tissues and instead starts to crystalize on the surface of the nerve, therefore reducing or totally eliminating any anti-inflammatory effects. Anyone can feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

Good luck with your procedure Tammy.

Stan
  • I hope your next injection is a great success and I'll let you know how everything goes in March!

I'll take whatever is available for pain relief via these injections. Whether it's one or three shots a year... I'm going for it.

I just realized tomorrow is March... relief will be on it's way in just a few weeks. :)

Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday, too. Glad I remembered this... lol! Last year I gave him his birthday card, February 1st. I thought February was March for some reason. I was heavily medicated at the time, so he just went along with it. :)

Take care,

Tammy
advertisement