Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Updated report from ESI On March 4th...Extremely painful needle insertion at L5-S1....Blame scar tis

advertisement

Comments

• Just wanted to say I sure understand what you went through. My first round of ESI's (L4/5 and L5/S1 also) went super smoothly aside from my having a reaction to the sedation. But because of that reaction I went through the next 2 rounds without sedation. And I say "rounds" because each set was 2 injections per disc, basically one on each side of both discs. The second set was a little tough as my OS had a little bit of trouble getting through the fascia, but it wasn't too bad all in all. The 3rd round however was not so easy...same issue with the fascia, only this time it was flat-out bending his needle. So like you he had to back out and start again, multiple times on 3 of the 4 injections. Now that SUCKED! }:)

While mine only lasted a few weeks (if that) and I ended up going for fusion...at least you know you're not the only spiney with crappy ESI experiences :))(

Best of luck with the next round! Hope you get more relief, and like Gwennie said, take it easy for a while and let the medication really get in there and give it the best chance to do as much help as possible!

• TTLC said:
    I am so sorry you had to go through all of that, Stan. It sends shivers down my spine, just thinking of what you went through.

:O

It would be great to hear that your traumatic experience delivers you fantastic relief, once everything settles down. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and say a little prayer.

You didn't mention your sister... was she there to drive you home?

Hey, if sedation is offered up to me... I have no problem accepting it. A little bit of "la la land" is always relaxing... puts your mind and body in a peaceful happy place. Go for it! Just be sure that your sister is with you, okay? ;)

Take good care over there. I wish you less pain in the morning!

Tammy :)

Hi Tammy.

No, my sis was not able to assist me, nor was anyone else, so thats why I went without sedation so I could drive myself home.

Next time I'll hire a limo with a full bar in the back seat! Ha!
  • advertisement
  • awalker819 said:
    Just wanted to say I sure understand what you went through. My first round of ESI's (L4/5 and L5/S1 also) went super smoothly aside from my having a reaction to the sedation. But because of that reaction I went through the next 2 rounds without sedation. And I say "rounds" because each set was 2 injections per disc, basically one on each side of both discs. The second set was a little tough as my OS had a little bit of trouble getting through the fascia, but it wasn't too bad all in all. The 3rd round however was not so easy...same issue with the fascia, only this time it was flat-out bending his needle. So like you he had to back out and start again, multiple times on 3 of the 4 injections. Now that SUCKED! }:)

While mine only lasted a few weeks (if that) and I ended up going for fusion...at least you know you're not the only spiney with crappy ESI experiences :))(

Best of luck with the next round! Hope you get more relief, and like Gwennie said, take it easy for a while and let the medication really get in there and give it the best chance to do as much help as possible!

It sounds like you've been there and done that painful injection scenario. I'll I can think about after experiencing something like that is being tortured. Man, if I knew anything, Id be singing like a bird!

Your avatar is amazing....geez!....thats some serious hardware you got going in there! The same procedure has been discussed for me, and I have a feeling if these ESI's dont work, fusion is a real possibiity just so I can stand in one place for more than 45 minutes before my low back pain spikes to a 8 or a 9 and I have to sit or collapse. Reading that you have been experiencing excellent results from your fusion gives me hope for optimism.

Thanks for your indepth reply. It really helps folks like me to make decisions.

Stan

By the way...I am taking it easy, not like after my first round when I washed my truck the same day and got "scolded" by Gwennie. Ha! Thanks for setting me straight Gwennie.

Stan
  • Glad to hear you're taking it easy! I didn't after my first injection, and was back in for the second within a month. I learned m lesson though, and took it very easy for quite a while after that second one and it paid off because it lasted close to 3 months. I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot but considering how extensive my herniations were, that was a big deal!

I have had fabulous results with my fusion, and am definitely one of the "success" stories, but will also be the first to warn not to take fusion lightly. I had a pretty easy recovery (aside from crappy home life which made things rough) and definitely a lot shorter recovery than most. But unfortunately that is NOT the norm. It is a HUGE surgery and is a long tough recovery. But it was definitely the right decision for me. My herniations were beyond the point of being handled with smaller surgeries such as microdiscectomy/laminectomy. When I scheduled my surgery I was on large amounts of Percocet and Oxycontin, and was still only to walk (very short distances)with a cane, and hovered around a 7 or 8 most of the day. I was luck to be able to walk the 10 ft to the restroom without collapsing most times. In fact I was in so much pain pre-surgery that the post-op pain really didn't seem so bad.

Anyway, point is if it every gets to the point of considering surgery, especially fusion (which I hope it doesn't!) be sure you're prepared and well-informed! And whatever you do don't forget fusion is a MAJOR surgery!

Best of luck! Hope this round works for a long time for you!
  • Its been 9 days since my second and very painful round of injections and I feel great.

My daily pain level is less than 3 and I am optimistic about long term relief. If needed, Im sure Workers Comp will authorize 1 more round of injections and then they will close my file.

My accidental slip and fall and follow-up ESIs with Workers Comp saved me lots of out-of-pocket expenses as opposed to doing the ESI as an elective procedure.

Anyway, Im feeling great again and Ill stay in touch as needed.

Thanks.

Stan
  • advertisement
  • I was wondering about you, Stan, and how you were feeling. Glad it worked again! Keep in touch.
advertisement