Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post surgery pain and depression

kelkrisonekkelkrisone Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey everyone, im a newbie here, but glad that Ive found you! I had fusion of C5-C6-C7 posterior and lamenectomy (i know i spelled that wrong lol) thru the front. Before surgery, had the worst pain that was more like pressure in my head and jaws. it was like having a bowl inverted on my head that just got smaller and smaller. I also would get a feeling like two little men trying to push my eyeballs out of my head. then, had surgeru on Nov. 6th, 2009. I still feel the worst pain in the back of my neck where the incision is and still have head presseure that comes and goes. when i tell my neurosurgeon, he tells me that i should b feeling better and that all i should b taking at this point is tylenol. TYLENOL ? i can barely sleep without being awoken by the pain and thank god i still have some Percocet. How long is this going to last? is there a standard recovery time for this or should i b looking if theere is another problem that maybe we missed. Am very depressed, cry all the time. By the way, Im 240 lbs 6'2" strong guy who's not afraid of a little pain, but this is ridiculous!Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated, Im loosing my marbles!
Kelly
advertisement

Comments

• First let me say Hi and welcome to spine-health. I take it by your post you had surgery both from the back(posterior) and front(anterior)? If this is the case the posterior will take some time to heal. The muscles are so effected when they use that entry and is much more painful. What type of muscle relaxer are you using? I have had both posterior and anterior surgery and by far the posterior causes more problems. You might want to check into some massage therapy if your surgeon would okay it. Besides the incision itself the position that you are in during surgeries just does a number on your muscles. Posterior surgery is a whole different scenario to recover from. Another thing that may help is some water therapy or going to your local pool and hanging out in it for awhile. But of course all of that needs to be cleared with your surgeon. How is your fusion coming along at this point and time? When you see your surgeon the next time ask him/her what things can you be doing to help yourself and that you don't feel your doing as well as he/she thinks. Although I know your doing as well as can be expected as that takes lots of time to heal. My idea is to put the ball in his/her court to aide you with some pain relief. There are lots of surgeons whom feel once they fix you the pain should be all gone, but that is just not reality. It will take time to heal and if your in so much pain your body can't heal during this time.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health and if there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me. Look forward to reading more of your post in the future. Take care.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    Hi, And welcome to s.h.forums. You have every right to be depressed! I had lumbar fusions. And when the first one failed, I was very depressed. I had waited and suffered a long time before I got the surgery. And had every expectation that my suffering would be over. Didn't happen! I had another with the same expectations. And it was a failure too. To go through a major, traumatic surgery and still be in pain is very depressing, enough to make a grown man cry, I'm 6 ft. 205 lbs.
    Now I'd like to share something else with you, that,has happened to me, 3 relatives and a couple of people I know.
    If a person has underlying depression, even if it is dormant. When your under General anesthetics for a long period of time. It can activate that depression, bring it to the surface, if you will. especially under these circumstances. Now I've looked and can not find any medical or philological proof of this. Only the fact that it happened to me, 3 relatives and some people that I know.
    So take it for what it's worth. But either way, you have every reason to be depressed. And there is no shame in that!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • HI Kelly

You will find support and suggestions here along with a few laughs. You didn't say anything about whether your fusion was successful. Have they checked your hardware? And my favorite what are you doing for PT? Have you returned to work and other activities?

It seems like you are in too much pain for 4 months later. Did you have an accident that caused these problems? Sometimes other problems get missed.

If you can give us more info someone might have some ideas.

Good Luck
  • I hate that when drs. say that. Don't you wish a Tylenol would help?! I'd like to see him go through what you did and take a Tylenol!!! grrrrrrrr My gosh, you were cut from the front & the back!!! Posterior recovery is rough because of the disturbance of the muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, etc. Find a good medical therapist that can give you "pressure point, deep tissue" type massage. Ins didnt cover mine, but so well worth the money. Make SURE its someone who can work on your spasms. Take muscle relaxers & anti-inflammatories (Meloxicam), your muscles are mad & highly inflammed. Recovering from posterior neck surgery can be very tough & painful. So painful that drs dont like performing this approach. Go see him again & tell him to give you some pain pills, for crying out loud! You DO NOT need to be tensed right now. Your body has been through too much already! Im sure your blood pressure is through the roof too. Bless your heart. It took me about 9 mos to fully recover from my posterior cerv foram,
    C5-6&C6-7. Took some pain pills when I needed them during this time too! 'cause it HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    big HUG
  • first , thank you all for ur encouragement. I went back to work the third week after the surgery. My dr. said that i didnt need to wear the brace and i didnt. by the way, this is my second fusion, the first i had about 10 years ago. I also have 4 children. Get this the wife is a nurse, which is a plus. but, she works around the clock so Im the main caretaker for my kids who r 4,6,7, and best of all 15 years old. I work in manhattan, live on long island(way east). my kids go to school in queens, so i drive there drop them off, park , then get on subway. after work i then reverse the process. dont know how well the fusion is going next dr. appt. is March 6th. He has scheduled a cat scan b4, so who knows. Ive been going thru this since LAST JANUARY! pain every day,it drives u crazy! Havent been scheduled for PT yet, he says that its not time. Im tired of pills, just want my life back again!
  • advertisement
  • first , thank you all for ur encouragement. I went back to work the third week after the surgery. My dr. said that i didnt need to wear the brace and i didnt. by the way, this is my second fusion, the first i had about 10 years ago. I also have 4 children. Get this the wife is a nurse, which is a plus. but, she works around the clock so Im the main caretaker for my kids who r 4,6,7, and best of all 15 years old. I work in manhattan, live on long island(way east). my kids go to school in queens, so i drive there drop them off, park , then get on subway. after work i then reverse the process. dont know how well the fusion is going next dr. appt. is March 6th. He has scheduled a cat scan b4, so who knows. Ive been going thru this since LAST JANUARY! pain every day,it drives u crazy! Havent been scheduled for PT yet, he says that its not time. Im tired of pills, just want my life back again!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    Why not an MRI. And a Stand-up MRI with dye shows your disc under it's natural compression. I'm sure you can find a Radiologist that has one in NY the machine is made by Fonar or Fomar. I forget the spelling. I had one and it showed the problem. Where the conventional laying down MRI did not!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm sorry that I went off above, perhaps I read into it wrong. I thought you were in alot of pain & the dr wasn't helping. I 110% agree with your that being in pain every day is enough to make one lose it. Hang in there & continue your search to make it better. Drs are not miracle makers. They may fix one thing that they studied for years & years, but know little or nothing else outside that field. An opinion from someone else is the best advice I can give.
    take care, Julie
  • Again, thanks to u all. As im sure ur all aware, this can be a lonely thing. Well,......Ive got some good news. I think i mentioned that my wife is a nurse. After reading some of ur posts, I asked her to get me a muscle relaxant (flexerall) Ever since taking it, by the third day, didnt hav to take pain meds until 6:30 pm. Been about the same ever since. Dont really need to take, but why suffer? I feel that Ive finally turned the corner and maybe Im on the way to becoming a regular human being again. Cant believe that the doc or nurse never suggested this. they really made me feel like a dope fiend. I really could care less about pills, Hell, i dont even drink! Thanks again people, u were there for me and i hope to be able to be there for u guys as well!
    Kelly
  • Kelly,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. The muscle spasms can just zap someone, and I am glad to hear you finally have a muscle relaxer, to control the problem. Now you can move further on your road of recovery and continue moving in the right direction. Hopefully soon this will all be a distant memory and you will be spending most of your time with your kids. Take care and keep us updated on your progress.
advertisement