Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Positive ESI Results Hard To Find In This Particular Forum

stansoup56sstansoup56 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Injections
After browsing the first 7 pages of this forum, I only found 4 threads (including mine) that were positive.

Also, after reviewing the titles and posts of many of the other threads in this "Spinal Injections" forum, I wonder, can it be that only 4 of us have had any kind[/u] of success (pain relief) with Epidural Steroid Injections?

Yes, the side affects from an ESI are numerous, but most of them are short term. And yes, I have had numerous injections [u]that didnt work[/u], but [u]never
had any bad reactions or adverse side effects.

I also notice that the majority of posts here are by women. High blood sugar, muscle spasms, high blood pressure, weight gain, seizures, low cortisol(?), hot flashes, wacky menstrual cycles, etc., etc.......and this is just on the first page!

With all due respect to every women here, I wonder if women are more susceptible to adverse side effects than men are?
advertisement

Comments

• I've had way more injections and nerve blocks than was probably healthy and I've never had an adverse reaction to the procedure. I just never had much relief.

I don't know if any studies have been done on whether women have more side effects. Some of the things you mention could happen to men or women, such as the high blood sugar. Diabetics have to be more careful as the steroid can cause the blood sugar to rise.

I would say that you are very lucky that you had such outstanding results. Your problem must have been specifically related to inflammation for it to work so well. I only know of one more person who had similar results. It seems to be more common to get some relief for a limited time.

Count your blessings!! And, I hope it continues for you...and, be careful on the ice!!

Gwennie

• The only reason that more women is on here is they
    are more open then us men. Men are taught to hide their pain.( which is really dumb )Beleave me Men hurt just as much as women. To me its sound like you are putting women down. Not a nice thing to do.

hope you all a pain free life

Jim
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,288
    No question, you will read about many dark situations. Many times, its not always the situation but the outlook of a patient.

There are so many positive stories here. I could list pages of members who have had very successful situations. But I think you will find after reading those, you will see that so much relies on the individual.

Ite easy to give in and give up to the pain, the problems, the medications, etc. What is really hard is dealing with all of this, dealing with chronic pain and coming out on top.

I've been dealing with chronic pain for over 30+ years now, and I know all about the ups , the downs, the lows and the highs, but I always know that the bottom line resides in how I deal with it all.

Regarding ESI's, I think once you read many situations, its almost a 50-50 in terms of the benefits received.

As far as women vs men, quite honestly, I believe its the women who have the greater strength and fortitude to deal with all of this. I have always viewed working mothers or other women with professions as being super stars. They have to balance everything. No such thing as being sick and not being able to continue to do what needs to get done.

But trust me, read more and you will find so many positive stories. There is even a thread dealing only with the success stories.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • gwennie17 said:
    I've had way more injections and nerve blocks than was probably healthy and I've never had an adverse reaction to the procedure. I just never had much relief.

I don't know if any studies have been done on whether women have more side effects. Some of the things you mention could happen to men or women, such as the high blood sugar. Diabetics have to be more careful as the steroid can cause the blood sugar to rise.

I would say that you are very lucky that you had such outstanding results. Your problem must have been specifically related to inflammation for it to work so well. I only know of one more person who had similar results. It seems to be more common to get some relief for a limited time.

Count your blessings!! And, I hope it continues for you...and, be careful on the ice!!

Gwennie

Hi Gwennie.

You're like me......lots of injections but no bad reactions.

I agree that lots of the side effects reported here can happen to men as well, but since this forum is populated mostly by women, thats all I have to go by.

Yup, I got lucky this time. My left thigh is still numb, but the pain in my leg and back is 99% gone.

Stan
  • stansoup56 said:
    After browsing the first 7 pages of this forum, I only found 4 threads (including mine) that were positive.

---[ Snip ]----

I also notice that the majority of posts here are by women. High blood sugar, muscle spasms, high blood pressure, weight gain, seizures, low cortisol(?), hot flashes, wacky menstrual cycles, etc., etc.......and this is just on the first page!

With all due respect to every women here, I wonder if women are more susceptible to adverse side effects than men are?
    Howdy Stan,

Positive results verses negative results. I think some of the reasons for it is many who "get better" or near normal no longer need the shoulders to lean on, the emotional support etc., and too get on with their now "new" normal lives. I've seen this on other sites for medical issues. While I've had positives and negatives, my positives only come out to answer someones question if it concerns what I can relate to that person. The negatives, well, we all want to know if indeed our issue *is* a negative, or is it a normal reaction to said surgery? See, it can be looked at numerous ways.

More women than men. Hummm...we do react differently to medical issues then men, example we have sometimes vastly different symptoms of an upcoming or developing heart attack! Can the same apply to how we feel pain, react to medications, surgeries? I of course don't know for a fact, but I believe in many ways we do respond differently. As women we tend to "share" more with each other, and I see that daily here too. There's got to be something different as we are designed to reproduce, and that process alone makes for major changes in the body and its working. :-)

Most of the men I have known and worked with over the years tend to keep to themselves, especially if they "hurt." Many of the men I see on here, they are comfortable with the fact that none of us are here to judge them, just support them and be there. Dunno, it could be an interesting study in itself!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • I had a total of 3 ESIs on both sides-they didn't work long term-one side I had a rhizotomy,the other side a lumbar spinal fusion.I had no ill effects from any of them,the procedure just wasnt enough for my situation.I have noticed quite a few woman who post have/had physical jobs-nurses,teachers,etc--not as physical as a construction worker,but pretty darn close.Remember that our bodies are for the most part,smaller in makeup,and thus the stress on them may be more.When my husband had knee surgery,I honestly don't think he even thought about going online to find support,so perhaps that is an aspect as well.----I have a positve story---I went through a spinal fusion 2 years ago,and an anterior/posterior 5 weeks ago.I am walking everyday,and can get around very well.Oh,and I am 60 years old,and have osteoporosis.Keep searching this site,you will find stories to inspire you! Jeannie
  • painkiller said:
    The only reason that more women is on here is they
    are more open then us men. Men are taught to hide their pain.( which is really dumb )Beleave me Men hurt just as much as women. To me its sound like you are putting women down. Not a nice thing to do.

hope you all a pain free life

Jim
    You are wrong Jim....dead wrong. The thought of "putting women down" never crossed my mind, and was not my intent.

• Wow! It looks like I hit a nerve (no pun intended) with this topic.

I was just trying to understand why there are so many negative reports. I meant no disrespect to women by pointing out that the majority of the posts are by females.

I thank everybody for their replies.
  • hi stan
    none taken from me, i have read lots since i joined in july..and at first i thought geezz anyone have success surgery stories...
    keep reading there are lots in regardes to esi..
    personally years ago before my l4,l5 fusion i had round of injections and helped me for awhile..
    this last time wow alot happened to me could be that i have had fibromyalgia and wasnt diagnosed..so i became swollen in neck underarms..my pain management doc said she has seen this happen..ha fired her..
    she wanted to do 3rd i laughed.
    my spinal doc said could be combo with fibromyalgia and the amount of meds she used was too much for me..my rheumo doc and my neuro doc are doing studies to see if fibro and esi have any connections
    as far as women and men...i am glad alot more men sharing in forums..
    welcome
    mary

and ron thanks for hard work and great post as usual
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • dilauro said:
    No question, you will read about many dark situations. Many times, its not always the situation but the outlook of a patient.

There are so many positive stories here. I could list pages of members who have had very successful situations. But I think you will find after reading those, you will see that so much relies on the individual.

Ite easy to give in and give up to the pain, the problems, the medications, etc. What is really hard is dealing with all of this, dealing with chronic pain and coming out on top.

I've been dealing with chronic pain for over 30+ years now, and I know all about the ups , the downs, the lows and the highs, but I always know that the bottom line resides in how I deal with it all.

Regarding ESI's, I think once you read many situations, its almost a 50-50 in terms of the benefits received.

As far as women vs men, quite honestly, I believe its the women who have the greater strength and fortitude to deal with all of this. I have always viewed working mothers or other women with professions as being super stars. They have to balance everything. No such thing as being sick and not being able to continue to do what needs to get done.

But trust me, read more and you will find so many positive stories. There is even a thread dealing only with the success stories.

I agree that by only reading 7 pages of this particular forum I may be missing something, but you have to admit, 4 positive reports out of 175 posts is'nt exactly a 50-50 ratio.
advertisement