Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

diagnosed w/ FM, now w/ spine problems...

advertisement

Comments

• i'm sorry that you suffer too. it surely stinks!

i sure wish i did know what was really going on in my body. you are right though, the doctors sure don't!

i hope you get to feeling better, and that you may eventually get back to work.

take care..... autumn

• Hi Autumn/Joy!

I was diagnosed with FM about 4 months ago. I'm sure I've had it for years. I went to a Rheumatologist. I had cervical spine surgery one year ago to remove bone spurs and take pressure off nerve roots. I have permanent nerve damage.

I have lower back pain as well. My Neurosurgeon said he would do surgery in a year on that issue. I have bulging discs, osteoarthritis in my lumbar area.

One thing about FM is since it is all over the body it is sometimes hard to distinquish from spine issues. My cervical spine problem caused pain in my arms. That pain continues one year after surgery because of permanent nerve damage.I I'd had that pain for about 3 1/2 yrs before doctors figured out it was coming from my neck.

Anyway, yes, I have some very definite similarities to what you are going thru.

Greyeagle
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I've been diagnosed a few months ago with Fibro but I think I've had it for years. The Rheumatologist said it's brought on by a problem with my back and sent me for physical therapy. After 6 weeks, I was released from pt and was told to do the stretches at home - which I did almost everyday. Didn't help. Mean time, my back is getting worse. I went to a back Dr at the Mayo Clinic thinking surly they can tell me something. All he did was press on some places and tell me I had Fibro. Duh! I already knew that, I wanted to know what was wrong with my back. He said the pain in my back is from the Fibro - just the oposite of the Rheumatologist (who also is at Mayo Clinic). Then he sent me back for more pt which makes it hurt worse. To top it off, my legs are feeling heavy and tingly and I constantly feel like someone is sitting on my back and pushing all the air out of me. I feel like there is something really wrong with my back but don't know who to see next. I've been round and round with Drs.
    This stinks
    Hope you all are feeling better
  • i am so sorry you are dealing with this crap too. it's crazy to me, that there are so many of us out here with the same issues, yet alot of us get swept to the side. it's so sad.

i've been around and around with the doctors too. i'm actually over them right now. it's too mentally and physically draining for me to keep going from one to the other, and not finding one who takes me or my pains seriously.

i am going to finally try the "natural" approach, and incorporate exercise, eating more healthy, and possibly supplements. it's going to be tough, but hopefully worth it. it's the only thing i havn't tried! lol.

i hope you can find some releif soon....... Autumn
  • Has anyone gotten any help or relief? My back is hurting bad lately. I keep thinking I should see another Dr, the physical therapy I did didn't seem to help much. I still do the stretches at home hoping it will help and I try to do other things, like gardening and walking. But it seems to make my back worse and at times my legs hurt too. I've been thinking about going to an orthopedic surgeon but I'm not sure if that's the right kind of Dr to go to. Is that the kind that deals with the back or is it the neurosurgen?
    I can't help but wonder if my problems is caused by my back and not Fibro. I've had an MRI (without contrast) and xray over a year ago and it didn't show much - just some degenerative discs and a slight curve. Should I get another MRI with contrast? The last Dr I went to was called a physiatrists (specializes in physical medicine and rehab) He didn't want to do any MRI or xray. He said it was Fibro.
  • advertisement
  • Medicine is in it's infancy right now. Advances have only been made in the last forty years or so.

It's my understanding that there are surgeries to fix structural problems with spines but not pain problems... unless it's direct nerve compression...severe enough that it's constant or interferes with motor function. (I could be wrong but pretty sure I'm right.) Your MRI apparently didn't show structural problems of concern, so another one with contrast may give you "the reason" for your pain but the treatment won't be any different. Even when structural problems of concern ARE found...most people are in physical therapy ... pushing themselves as much as possible...ugh...for a while. We Fibro people take the same meds as spineys, you know?

So, it could be the Fibro and it could be your spine. They've ruled out structural problems of *immediate* concern but not been able to adequately pinpoint the reason for your pain. Is it worth spending more money when the treatment is the same?

If you're experiencing numbness or weakness that doesn't go away, then I'd insist on another MRI but I don't *think* there'd be much point in it now.

That's just my personal opinion. I hope it makes sense.

Feel better soon.
    Jasro
  • hi i was diag with f/m 4 years ago,the only trouble is i tend to put everything down to it,i resent started with blurred vision,mucsle cramps,off i went back to the docs once again,having loads of blood tests thurs so should know results next week,i started with scatica in 2009 and its no better today.i have carpel tunnel in both wrists,cervical spondilosis,sorry about the spelling,does anyone think all these are related,i feel like a walking chemist,sorry to hear about everyone suffering
  • I feel for everyone who has to live with this; my muscle pain, spasms, low grade temp, insomnia, and misc pains that make no sense started back in February- and don't forget the FOG..
    I take so many meds and feel like a mobile pharmacy. I also have my chronic low back pain and nerve damage to deal with as well as an autoimmune disease. I can't type too much b/c my fingers will hurt and go totally numb.
    Thanks for letting me share this with you all. Take care
  • I was in a major car accident in Dec of 2007. I had never had issues w/ major pain before that...so it all came on as quite a shock. I did well after my spine fusion (in my neck) and then was diagnosed w/ having a herniated dics in my lower back that they've opted to treat w/ an epidural injection series. In the meantime, I went back to my Dr (who sent back to the pain mgmt dr.) and I was told that I had all the points for fibro and all of my symptoms were classic signs of it. Ive heard of major back injuries cauing the onset of firbo - but not the other way around. I wonder if you were prone to the back injuries anyways and that fall you took sealed the deal??
advertisement