Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

j.howie's Guiney Pig XLIF surgery

advertisement

Comments

• Jim,

I think I confused which surgery you had with what I read on Nuvasive's website. I was looking at XLIF TDR. Which is supposedly full motion preservation. So you had conventional fusion? Spacer/barrel or cage as they call it installed? Then BMP to glue it all together, but no screws and rods?

Looking at their TDR it looks like a hybrid idea. Since it is metal on metal there is no cushion. But motion is preserved as the 2 plates pivot in the center. I suppose the thickness of the plates can be controlled to set the appropriate space oh a healthy disc.

I couldn't agree more on the ADR issue. I can't believe the medical engineers can't design something that provides cushion and mobility. I hate to say it but it isn't rocket science! The idea of sticking metal cylinders full of BMP in the space and causing fusion is just crude... Even the Prodisc and the likes are just solid pieces, still crude. A bushing made of delrin or polyurethane that can be installed against the bone to stop slippage. Apparently there must be some real catch to this. The solution just seems so evident. Anyway, I digress.

I'm glad this surgery is moving your recovery quicker. Not having additional hardware must be nice. We're both playing guinea pig with the types of surgeries we chose versus the standard methods. I must say my recovery is quicker than the conventional mode. Whether this is a good long term approach remains to be seen.

Graham
  • Glad to hear you are doing well from the actual surgery. Sorry the 'side' effects (no pun intended) are causing pain.

I thought the XLIF was for fusing, not ADR but I haven't read that much so I found that interesting.

I thought ADR was thru front in the US but again, haven't read much.

Regardless...glad your doctor has reminded you that you neeed to pace yourself and not overdo it. But also pleased to hear how well your mobility is!

Let us know how the appointment this week goes.
  • advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    That with this "lateral" procedure, you can also get a TDR. Because I'm now fused from L2-L3 all of the way down the surgeon thought that the plates and BMP cage would give me the most motion. And I'm fine with that, but, like you said, it's not rocket science to make a ADR with mobility and suspension! In my opinion take a good medical engineer and a auto mechanic. And have them work together. And they could probably come up with something!
    On my surgery there is no hardware, and no screws.
    the "Nuvasive" is a separate technology that is used by a tech. to help the surgeon go in and miss, or go around any nerves or anything else that they don't want to damage. Really, state of the art. Type in XLIF into the S.H. search box and you can surf from one site to another and get all of the info on all of the procedures. And exactly how the Nuvasive works with the lateral approach. The only thing more exciting than the no hardware. Was the no nerve damage. And I have more than enough permanent nerve damage from the previous surgeries!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!