Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

percutaneous disectomy?

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had one of these procedures? It has been offered to me at cross river pain management.
advertisement

Comments

• I would check back with the surgeon before doing anything. Sounds kinda like a laproscopic discectomy which might be good. One question I had after reading about this is what happens to the herniated disk material that they are popping? There was a similar treatment I read about a while back where they used ultrasonic to breakup the herniation.

Personally I would rather have a surgeon do this than a radiologist.
  • I've had 2 of them, but not at the place you mention.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • advertisement
  • What was your experience with them paul
  • I am pretty happy!
    It was the least invasive technique I could find.
    The collateral damage done by other versions is almost worse than the original problem.

They used a small band-aid to close the incision. The small round type band-aid. I kid you not.
    Very cool advancements in medical technology.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I looked on their website and it certainly sounds like the doctor is well qualified and has a lot of experience doing this type of procedure. As with any of the spinal procedures, success depends on the proper selection of the patient for the particular procedure.

I think about the worst that can be said for it is that it won't really help for long, and you'll be looking at having a more invasive procedure at a later date. So, if that is true, you really don't have much to lose by giving it a try. At least that's how I would look at it! @)

Gwennie
  • advertisement
  • That Dr is great...he did my steroid shots
advertisement