Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain doesn't match tests

advertisement

Comments

• DISCOGRAM!

I might have missed it, but have you had a discogram?

My NS was going to fix L4/5 because it looked the worst on the MRI.

We did the discogram and found out that L5/S1 was the main pain generator and I would have had virtually NO relief if we'd only fixed the one disc.

It saved me from another surgery and another year of pain and thinking that I must be nuts to still have pain after having the whole fusion done!

• I haven't had a discogram yet. I'm waiting to hear back from the surgeons office to see where to go from here. I'm sure that my pain is way worse and does not go along with a L3-4 problem only. Hopefully I'll get some answers in the next few days. It is possible that I injured something else as I fell about a month ago getting out of the shower. I could have done something then. This was after the MRI but before the myelogram.
    Gary
  • advertisement
  • I may be a little late chiming in here but I have similar symptoms to you w/pain indicative of problems in both of the lower lumbar discs. My surgeon thinks there is a conjoined nerve root and that my protrusion at L4-L5 is also affecting the S1 nerve. He said that while this may be a "common" problem I would never have known if the herniation was not pushing directly on it. Obviously, I have no idea what your specific problems are but I just wanted to let you know that there are other possibilities for the pain. Good luck and I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of it!
  • There may be something that is avalible for scar tissue that is compressing a nerve. It is a type of injection that is done by PM designed to break up scar tissue. I have BC/BS POS but in June '09 when we were looking into it , my insurance considered it experimental, thus wouldn't cover it. We considered paying independently for it and it was around $200.00, however, it was shortly thereafter that my MRI's revealed scar tissue wasn't my issue. Best of luck!
advertisement