Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

worried about weakness and exhaustion BEFORE surgery

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have spent the past 3+ years in pain trying to delay surgery. Started falling around Thanksgiving, have weakness in both legs, very "brisk" reflexes and significant tremors. Scheduled for L4-5 posterior/anterior fusion with bone graph. Surgery originally scheduled 12-23-09, then 2-8-10, delayed due to insurance. Surgery is now scheduled 2-26-10. In the past 2 months, I have gotten significantly weaker, I have to limit walking as the siatic nerve "catches" on the jagged edges of the bone. I am so concerned about recovery as I am so weak with poor endurance. I understand that my pain may never go away, although I pray daily that it will. I would love to get my leg strength and coordination back> My surgeon thinks there may be something neurological going on (like MS), wants a work up done, but I want to recover from the fusion first! Any insight you all have will be greatly appeciated!
advertisement

Comments

• I really hope surgery is the trick for you and you get everything back. keep in mind there isn't that many positive stories around here as those who do well have moved on and are out and busy. Keep in mind that the surgeon can only carry you so far then you have lots of work to do yourself. I think staying positive has a lot to do with recovery. But also know we are open all the time when you need to let a little out. Those nerves may take sometime to heal, so be patient with them. Hopefully you will be one of those who everything works out just perfect and you return to a normal life. No matter how your outcome is we will be waiting to hear how you are doing. Take care and keep us posted on your progress and good luck in surgery.
  • thank you so much tamtam! I am ready to work hard. Ironically I am a Occupational Therapist~I so believe in rehab and pushing hard, maybe too hard. The trick for me will be to find the happy medium. I have always been athletic and physically active, I had to stop exercising in July and find it very depressing how my body has changed over these months.:( It's killing me to be so inactive, I find it so hard. I wish I would have realized how bad it was months/years ago, but it took falling several times for me to wake up and realize what my body was trying so hard to tell me.

this will be my 3rd back surgery in 3&1/2 yrs. I think the hardest part is that there is are no guarentees~I've never been much of a gambler! LOL I am so thankful to have found this site and for everyones support! Thank you!

Is there anyone who was also so weak and with such limited endurance before surgery? If I work, I get home around 4 and sleep from 5-6 pm until the next morning, it's as if my body just quits~my job as a therapist is physically demanding, but I now have a lighter schedule. I don't like the therapist now being the patient! :) LOL
  • advertisement
  • I TO AM HAVEING A PLIF L4/5+L5/SI POSTERIOR LUMBAR INTERBODY FUSION W/ PEDIDE SCREW FIXATION.
    BEEN IN PAIN FOR 25 YEARS, TAKEN EVERY MED THER IS AND NOW AT AGE 50 I JUST HAVE NO MORE STRENGTH AT ALL IN MY LEGS OR BODY AS IVE LAID IN MY RECLINER FOR MOST OF THE LAST YEAR AND MY MUSCLES ARE WEAK AND ALMOST NON EXISTANT ANYMORE, SO AFTER FIGHTING THIS SUGERY I NO LONGER WANT THE PAIN SO IM JUMPING IN AND DOING IT. LIKE YOU I HAVE EXTREME FATIGUE AND WEAK LEGS CANT WALK FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES, AND I HAVE NO FEELIMG IN EITHER LEG BOTH NUMB TO THE TOUCH AND NERVE PAIN BAD. SO YES IM VERY WEAK AND FATIGED WONDERING HOW ITS GOING TO BE ALSO
  • I had this same surgery, and for 2 1/2 years was really hurting and unable to do exercises and walk like normal. I couldnt walk cause if I did it hurt and flared it up worse. I was very much out of shape prior to surgery, but the one thing is...when you are recovering, everything is going to go slow. From your walk to the building up the distance.
    You will be able to have PT at some point, and they will also help you get your strength back. And all the little walks you will do each day will help.
    I also got some Ensure vitamin drinks. I wanted to make sure I was getting all the nutrients I needed for the fusion. I got the genaric, and also got the brand Boost. It helps with energy too.
    Just make sure you do as the Dr says. I am sure your surgeon wouldnt let you have surgery, if they felt you were to weak to handle it. Good Luck to you both, Love, Robin
advertisement