Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

There's constipation, and then

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Chronic Pain
there is blockage from being constipated and not taking care of it in time.
Under my normal meds. (opiates that cause constipation) I liked to take care of the problem more naturally. With diet. I have activia,Dan Active,fruit and a bran cereal. With 2 additional servings of some kind of fresh fruit daily. And in mot cases that works fine.
But after my surgery, the Dr. prescribed me Docusate Sodium Because I would be on more opiates. I don't like to take any additional meds like that If I can manage with diet. Which I did.
But my diet was changed because of having country breakfasts for company for a few days. I should have used the meds or the stool softener-laxative that I usually use, when I need something extra.
Now if youre squeamish you can stop reading right now!
Too many days went by without me paying attention to what was happening to me. and by the time I realized what I had done it was too late!!! I had bonafide BLOCKAGE!
I took the pills he gave me morn, noon, and night...Nothing! And another day went by for the blockage to grow. I then used my stuff, double dose morn, and night... Nothing!
Now I'm scared, thinking I'm going to die from toxic shock!
So I new I had to go or else! I had pressure on my prostate and what ever else and couldn't pee either. And I hurt from bottom to top like I was going to explode. And had cramps that were making life impossible. So Used suppositories. No luck! Just burning and cramps tripled. I couldn't button my pants cause I couldn't stand the pressure on my gut!All I had done was make all this stuff that was supper soft and putting massive pressure to come out. But the blockage wouldn't allow it past! I told my wife to hurry down to the Pharmacy & get me an enema thingy and more suppositories and everything she could think of. Or take me to the ER. She was taking too long and I found something to make my own enema, loaded it with hot soapy water. And shot the blockage, middle, sides, front, back, right in the middle of it. trying to break it up, NO DICE!!! So I did it again the same way, and this time there was an explosion, I gave birth to triplets and everything else came out behind it at 130 mi. per hr. :jawdrop:
And that's why I haven't been on the forums for several days!!! I've been miserable, then recuperating. And I think I need reconstructive surgery!!! :& :sick:
So, if you did't get sick, and read the whole thing through, DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! =))

What happened was I was blocked with something that couldn't possibly make it past. Without a surgical cut.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• finally Jim. I take docusate sodium also and have to take 60ml of milk of magnesia (good old MOM) It can really be hard on your back. I hope it doesn't happen again for you. It's tough with taking narcotics and ending up bound up blocked up. I notice the switch I had to oxycontin from MS contin has been rough on me. Take care and I don't feel awful reading your post it's a part of life and it can lead to serious business. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Jim, Glad it all worked out in the end. Pun intended. But I have to admit, your story made me laugh until I thought I popped a pedi screw. Maybe it is just your story telling skills. So sorry for your misery. I also had issues, but not nearly that bad. Double shots of MOM and Dulcolax got me going, but not at 130 mph,, THANK GOD!! I do hope you can keep on top of it now and won't go through that hell again.

Best Wishes,
    Traci
  • advertisement
  • Congrats on the new additions to the family!!!
    What did you name them?
    =)) =)) =))
    Thanks for making my day.
    Sorry for your misery though.
    Kylie
  • Jim, I'd told this story before, but my MIL who took care of me for the first two weeks after my TLIF is from the old school and believes that the best thing for anyone recovering from anything is starch. Chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes with gravy. Fried Chicken. Quesadillas. I was getting so clammed up it hurt to put my brace on. Finally my hubby and I asked her for some veggies and she threw in some more potatoes ("They grow in the ground, don't they? That means they're veggies.)

Lord, I thought I'd explode during those first two weeks. After she left it took me about four days, but I took quite a few over-the-counter remedies along with fiber and bran and finally got back to where I'm doing ok.

I'd suggest that when you're making your surgery plans, make up some diet plans too to give to your caregiver. I felt like if I got sneaky and stole a broccoli off of someone's dish I was committing a felony.

Oy Vay, I think we've all been there to some extent and it just doesn't help back pain at all.

Cath
  • Dear Jim,

You have my sympathies, my friend. I hope you have some soothing suppositories to help reduce the tissue inflammation in that delicate area. Can you sit in a bathtub? If you can, epsom salt baths will help to soothe that area.

Boy oh boy... this sure brought back a lot of memories. I don't know which is worse... going over the speed limit or being stranded in that situation. I had to be rescued from the fire department! Talk about embarassing... I think I was beaming red for days after my ordeal. I was 8 months pregnant and I could not get up from the toilet... I was stuck and couldn't move. I kept asking for beans and prune juice, but I couldn't get those down. I nailed the wall with undigested beans and prune juice, while stuck on the toilet. The fire department was called, they shook my ex-husband's hand congratulating him on what they thought was the baby coming out. They managed to get me on a gurney, rushed me to the hospital and my doctor was there waiting for my arrival. Well, it wasn't the baby crowning... it was this solid brick of doo doo. The 3 enemas didn't work, so my doctor had to manually break-up and remove the brick. His hand cramped up several times during the process and it through me into major contractions... lol. It was just awful!! I wound up staying the night at the hospital, so they could get the contractions under control.

Needless to say, I am absolutely paranoid... to this very day... of having that happen again. If I don't have a bowel movement every other day... I take the maximum dose of Senna tablets. They are gentle... they don't cause any sonic booms. #:S

Hugs, hugs, hugs to you. I'm glad you are cleaned out now, but wow... what a time you had. :(

I'm so glad you are back and I doubt you will be having country breakfasts for a while!

Take good care,

Tammy >:D<
  • advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Couldn't believe what I had done WITH HER TURKEY BASTER!!!
    But I didn't want to have to call the paramedics! And have to explain to my neighbors, what had happened! =)) =)) =))
    Jim
    p.s. she threw the turkey baster away! =)) =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • First off, glad you got the poop situation resolved.

I'm sorry for the rough time you had, but holy cow, I laughed my butt off, you have a great sense of humor.

Tammy: You must have been mortified, I also laughed like crazy at your post. I think most women who have been pregnant have gone through similar problems, although not to the extent that you did. Thanks you two for sharing, and for the chuckles.
  • Call for desperate measures!

OMG... a turkey baster!

That was some creative thinking there, Jim!

LOL... =)) =)) =))

The neighbors... I forgot another funny part. My ex-husband ran across the street to ask for the prune juice I was hollering for. The neighbor, Kathy, came running into the house with some and she forgot to put her dentures in! She kept trying to help get me to the bed, but I couldn't do it. She was jumping up and down with excitement, as she was sure the baby (Zach) had crowned. When the other neighbors saw the fire truck and ambulance... OMG... I was surrounded by my neighbors. They kept cheering me on about having the baby. It was so crazy and I was sooooo uncomfortable!

Whew wee... it's so funny to look back on, but I'll do anything to not have that happen again!

You gave others a heads-up Jim, about using a turkey baster if need be!

=))

Have a great day everyone!

Tammy :))(
  • Hey you guys,
    I was gonna post on this but I decided to jump up and look for the "Ducolax" instead. Never can be to prepared. ROFLMAO!

Thanks for the laughs!

(Really am glad everything came out Ok. I've been there. Next time try mentioning my name. At least you'll get a good seat.)

Happy Valentines Day All.

But for some reason Chocolate just doesn't sound all that great right now.

Frog
  • OK I admit I was HOWLING with laughter =)) as well as flinching with sympathy pains for you.

However I myself am currently in the same situation and think if things don't work out soon, I will opt for surgery after reading your experience lol ;)

I am 9 days without a poo and have eaten every type of greasy and get you going food around --- Time to bring out the big guns BUT I won't be using a turkey baster lol By the way that IS a great idea !!! =D>
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.