Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain at SCS. IPG site after surgery

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Turned out to be an infection, a puss pocket, was what the surgeon called it. I went down to the valley Thurs. Hit 3 birds with 1 stone. The surgeon, my G.P. and my P.M. Drs. The drive down and all of the driving to all of the appointments Proved to be a challenge and very painful. But the surgeon took x rays and checked it out. And decided to treat it with Keflex 500mg. 4xday for 2 weeks. He also had me go do blood work to see if that confirmed his diagnosis. I'll know the results of that on Mon. But the redness is almost gone and that pain from the site is over 50% better already. So the drive was well worth it!
He said, he had never seen an IPG stick out that far. And that's probably why it happened during the XLIF surgery. I told him I was about a very skinny 170 lbs. when the scs was installed and now I'm back at my normal 210. But he didn't indicate that, that had anything to do with it. I like and respect him as a very good surgeon. But I can't figure out why he didn't have something to protect that site while I was laying on it for 2+ hrs.
But all is good now!
Good luck, Jim :D
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• SCS.IPG site?
    No idea what this is Jim.

Still, I'm glad that you are feeling better now.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    Hi jellyhall, scs=spinal chord stimulator(electric) Like a built in tens unit. IPG= Implanted pulse generator, and battery pack. Usually surgically implanted just above the hip in your lower back. With leads that go from the ipg to above the area of the spine that you want electrically stimulated.
    Thanks, Jim :?
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • Glad to hear that there's an explanation for your pain and that it is resolving so quickly with the antibiotics!

"C"

• I'm learning so much on here, but there are still lots of things I know nothing about.

Will you continue to use the SCS and the IPG, or will they be removed once you are fully recovered from surgery?

I hope that you continue to improve and can live your life with no pain. I have received a letter from my surgeon today, and just need to contact him to arrange a date. Scarey!!
    Good luck to you! Only you can decide what will be best for you. I'd say schedule it! you can always cancel.
    And yes, I will have the scs reprogrammed. And hopefully it will give me some relief from prior surgery's nerve damage.
    Good luck, Jim
  • advertisement
    "c" I'm hoping for continued progress. They are "Horse pills"!
    Jim
advertisement