Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March Surgeries

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,419
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recieved my surgery date today so I thought I would start a March Surgery thread.

I go on March 1st- C5-6-7 ACDF. Pre-op on Feb 25th.

Julie
advertisement

Comments

• I'll be following you the next day. I'm fused at L4-5, but I am unstable at L3-4 and L5-S1 so am having a three level posterior fusion with rods and pedicle screws. He's leaving in the discs, so no cage this time.
  • I am having my 360 L-5 S-1 single level fusion on march 9th. I will be traveling 3 hrs to NYC to the Hospital for Special Surgery. I hope I will be able to travel the 3 hr ride home. I stopped my Advil this week. I have been taking 5-6 a day for months and also stopped my ultimate omegas(fish oil). I think the fish oil really helped with some anti-inflammatory effects cuz since I stopped my allergies, asthma and back pain are worse.I also had to stop my HRT one month prior. It could be a long three weeks!! Lynette
    Lynette
  • advertisement
  • Just curious how do you fuse if your disc's are still in place? Is it just fusion by hardware? lynette
    Lynette
  • I think Gwennie is talking about when they leave a portion of the disc around the outer edge- the center should be replaced with some kind of BMP or mixture.

Am I right Gwennie?

Today the hospital called and pre-registered me. I am lucky I have 2 large hospitals less than 10 minutes from my house.
  • well i went today for all my pre-op test
    im haveing / L4/5 + LD/SI PLIF posterior lumbar interbody fusion / pedide screw fixation

really gets to your nerves the longer i wait. scrared to death as im sure many are the first time, i pray this is the one and only time. gotta travel anout 50 miles to the hospital university of TN. will be staying at my sons for a while, my daughterinlaw is an occupational theropist at the hospital so it will be helpful to have her around.
  • advertisement
  • I don't really have a problem with the discs. I am fused at L4-5 and have a PEEK cage and BMP there as well as rods and pedicle screws. When I had this surgery two years ago, two surgeons told me they would fuse three levels and the majority said I needed a one level fusion due to spondylolisthesis. Of course, at the time I didn't think my problems were bad enough for any type of fusion...but I couldn't find anyone who would tell me anything other than fusion...so I went for the least amount which six surgeons had recommended. As it turned out, it was not enough.

I am unstable and I have chronic radiculopathy as a result. So my surgeon is going to take out the rods from the first surgery, clean everything up, peel away whatever scar tissue is in the way, free up the nerves, etc. He will take the bone from whatever he has to cut away and will make a slurry out of it, adding some biomedical bone cells to it. This gets painted in and around the discs at L3-4 and L5-S1 and it will eventually calcify around the discs, providing a ready-made disc spacer. Then he will put screws in the new levels and attach longer rods, so I will be connected from L3 to S1. At least, that is the plan at the moment.
  • I'm having a microdiscectomy on March 1st. I just found out yesterday, so I'm really nervous right now. It probably doesn't help much that I also had the flu yesterday too. So on top of the nerves I've been running back and forth to the bathroom. In fact right after the dr. told me I needed surgery, I had to run out of the room to throw up!! LOL I wonder if he gets that alot!

• I have just been booked in for a decompression and spinal fusion at L4/L5 on 19th March.

I have been trying so hard to avoid this for so long now, but have been told that it isn't if, but when it gets worse.

Time to face my fears and bite the bullet.

I'm going to need lots of help here, because I am TERRIFIED at the idea!
  • it seems like we are all scared so I'm going to interpret this as we are all "normal"! Debra, I know you will be in great hands since your daughter in law is an Occupational Therapist! I am one also!:-) I no longer work in rehab though as it was just too hard on my back (I've been workig for 24 years~how can that be?) Now I work with babies birth to age 3.

We are all in this together, we CAN and WILL do great! This website is an answer to prayer! There is so much support and education. I use to pray to just meet one person who is going through this, I know several men, but no women. I think women have some unique challenges (shaving our legs):-)

Hang in there everyone! Happy Saturday! Shari

• she has said she will shave my legs for me. She has been doing my pedicure for the last few months as reaching my toes has been so hard.

Today, she said what a good thing that all these problems didn't start 3 or more years ago. She was living in South America then.
advertisement