Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March Surgeries

Comments

• Well today is my last day of work before my surgery on Wednesday. Leaving my day job today wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I work in a very small office where it's just my boss and myself and my 2 maintenance guys, so needless to say we're kind of a tight bunch. Before leaving today, they all gave me hugs, wished me good luck, and made me promise to keep them updated on how I'm doing. But when it came time to say goodby to my boss, I think that's when it hit me....OMG, HOLY SH_T, it's 2 days away!

Getting scared is an under statement right now, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't let a lot of emotion show to anybody. I tend to keep things to myself. I know that's not good, which is why I love it here. I can vent here and every person who reads this, knows exactly what I am feeling and thinking because they've been through it themselves.

I don't know when I'll be able to post again. I don't have a laptop, just a desk top computer, which is downstairs in our family room. I won't be climbing up and down stairs anytime soon, so it may not be for a while that I'm on here again.

Just want to say to everybody who has had their surgery...I hope your recoveries go very well, that the pain is minimal, and that you are feeling like your old "new" self very soon :)

To everybody who is like me, their surgery still upcoming...my prayers and thoughts are with you all that your surgeries go well, with no complications, and that your pain is minimal too.

We are difinitely keeping our guardian angels busy, and I hope that they keep a watchful eye on us all, and a shoulder to lean on when we need the support :)

Thank you all again for all of your support, your well wishes, and all of the tips. I know that I would have been a lot more nervous and scared than I am if it wasn't for this site.
  • We all know exactly how you are feeling. My last day at work was very emotional too. I will be thinking of you and praying for a smooth hospital stay and recovery. Post when you can but don't risk stairs too soon!! Will look foward to hearing from you post op!! Lynette
    Lynette
  • advertisement
  • Had L5 /S1 fusion with instruments on March 16 th . Got out of hospital Saturday.....Nice to find this site......scary stuff....My name is Steve , 48 year old commercial electrician that got hurt at work....I am laying here in my bed with my puter hocked up to a 46 inch monitor , just glad I found this place....Look forward to meeting you all on here....
  • Had L5 /S1 fusion with instruments on March 16 th . Got out of hospital Saturday.....Nice to find this site......scary stuff....My name is Steve , 48 year old commercial electrician that got hurt at work....I am laying here in my bed with my puter hocked up to a 46 inch monitor , just glad I found this place....Look forward to meeting you all on here....
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You will find so many knowledgeable and supportive members. Fusions are scary, definately a leap in faith and the unknown.

I had a L4-5 360 fusion (anterior/posterior approach with bone graph) on 2/26. My hospital stay was complicated with needing 3 blood transfusions, pneumonia and plueracy.

But I am better now, I started PT last week and will begin aquatics tomorrow. I have quite a ways to go as the nerve that intervates my left leg was compressed for a long time and my leg is weak. But I am determined! :)

Did you ever think you would spend so much wakeful time in bed? Ha!

How is your pain? How are you feeling/healing? Do you have someone home with you to help you?

I look forward to reading your posts. We are here for you to support, give suggestions, celebrate success and vent to! Take care! Shari
  • advertisement
  • Hi Shari , and thanks for the response...Pain is better , I over did it yesterday by standing to much.....The biggest thing for me right now is the pain management , need to stay on top of it.....I feel a bit depressed I think , knowing my whole life is about to ( and ) is going to be different....I have to force myself to eat do to the meds take way my appetite . Then I feel ill.....Glad to hear you made it through the hospital stay ...I remember that little pouch hooked up to my back , it drained alot of blood , but I didn't need a transfusion....My body had a hard time with the meds at 1st , and it took about 24 hrs to correct it , I remember the 2 nd day holding on to the rail looking at the nurse , I was crying telling her I cant do it....please help me.....at one point my blood pressure was 95/35....that scared me....The first time I stood out of bed with a walker and two nurses and standing up , it was right then and there I knew this is going to be journey....I do live alone , but have help at a moments notice if need be . The meds I am on are 10mg Oxycontin , 1 every 12 hours.....every 3 hours 15 mg of Oxycodone...every 4 hours .5 mg larazapam....at night 30 mg Tamazapam....YUCKKKKKKK....it all males me ill , BUT no pain at all....I do itch ALL OVER the place , especially at night.....So , its just on the bed , I sit when I eat , then back an the bed....
  • to our spiney gang.
    Struggling now to post, sorry
  • Wanted to wish you well for tommorrow.
    I.ll be praying for you

sorry, haave to stop now
    Be back soon
  • We I finally feel like posting something.

It has been a rough, but good ride.

First thing is that my doc does not believe in using a pain pump. So I was asking for meds like crazy.

Surgery was on the Wednesday the 17 and had the cathoder taken out that evening and was managing pain pretty well.

I couldn't urinate and had to have cath put back in. The problem is the had to try it three times untill they could get one in. That's when things got really rough.

Was talking to my doc on Friday and he was wanting me to to home. Which seemed too early, but he is one of the best there is.

So I go home Friday right after lunch with a cath and now have to go to urologist on Mon to take out.

My wife and I were falling apart. Then we had a talk and just decided we CAN do this. Yes it will hurt, but we can and will do this.

We started looking for ANY positives we could, as oppossed to just when my next pains meds would come.

One of those was getting the cath out this past Mon. I was at the docs office for 3 hours, buth the cath came out and everything checked out OK.

Saying hi to you guys is the positive I am on right now. Next is checking out all my BBall brackets.

I'm getting a little tired so I'm going to say goodbye for now.

Thanks for all ya'll support!

WE CAN ALL DO THIS!!!!!!!!
  • Hiya Screentex! I've been thinking of you and looking for your post!

Bless your heart, you went home so early! I love it that you and your wife are looking for the positive in life! It really helps getting over these bumps in the road. The sense of humor helps also.:)

Is your pain well controled? I think that is so important in the early weeks, because it you get behind and the pain is ahead of you, it is soo hard to catch up!

How is the walking going?

As you can imagine I am devistated by the NCAA tourny. But I will cheer for Baylor with you! good Luck

rest well and looking forward to hearing from you! Shari
advertisement