Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March Surgeries

advertisement

Comments

• I had to work out of town this week. So as I was sitting in my seat on the airplane I see my NS nurse, his MA and then him getting their first class seats.... So when I get off the plane they were off before me and I didn't see them in the airport. But later at 4:30 PM who gets in line behind me when we are boarding? There they are. I shook hands with him and talked about our pre-op next week. Apparently he started flying to this city 1 per month so his patients would not have to travel so far (600 plus miles). Pretty cool I think.

Any way I have about a week left. Starting to get everything done. I broke down and shaved my legs yesterday. I figured I was already really sore from such a hard day out of town it wouldn't matter. I had not shaved in 6 weeks or so...... OMG what a mess. I am thinking of going in for a pedicure but am afraid of getting an infection before the big day. Hubby said he would help me out but last time he cut my toe nails too short.

Today I am going to buy a new shower head with a hose so I can wash my hair while sitting down if I need to. I bought new button up pj's for the hospital yesterday.

How is everyone doing?

Peace,

Julie
  • How about using cream hair remover rather than trying to shave?It seems that would be easier.Also,you might think about a french manicure type pedicure-one that looks nice for a long time.I painted my toenails a light neutral before I went into the hospital so I wouldn't have to mess with them,or get tired of the color.
  • advertisement
  • You know I forgot about that. I used nair when I had my lumbar fusion several times. It worked great. Thanks for the reminder.

Definately going with a natural lighter nail color= it last much longer (not so obvious when it chips).

Thanks!
    Julie
  • I finally decided to have surgery after 10 years of pain. I am scheduled to have L3-4,4-5,5-S1 PLIF on March 17. What a great freakin' St. Pattys Day.

I find myself nervously excited.

I can't imagine what it would be like to resume a somewhat normal life and am praying this will help me reach that goal.

I'm 46 and was a college athlete and now have to sit in a chair after about 5 minutes to play catch with my 6 and 7 year old.

I'm realistic and not looking for a miracle. If I could actually play some kind of organized sports again would be awesome, but to just be able to have an actual game of catch or be able to stand long enough to work with my kids on the basketball court would make it all worth while.

Here's to everyone on the site having successful results with whatever you decide to do.
  • I finally decided to have surgery after 10 years of pain. I am scheduled to have L3-4,4-5,5-S1 PLIF on March 17. What a great freakin' St. Pattys Day.

I find myself nervously excited.

I can't imagine what it would be like to resume a somewhat normal life and am praying this will help me reach that goal.

I'm 46 and was a college athlete and now have to sit in a chair after about 5 minutes to play catch with my 6 and 7 year old.

I'm realistic and not looking for a miracle. If I could actually play some kind of organized sports again would be awesome, but to just be able to have an actual game of catch or be able to stand long enough to work with my kids on the basketball court would make it all worth while.

Here's to everyone on the site having successful results with whatever you decide to do.
  • advertisement
  • Never mind. A letter arrived in Friday's mail informing me that my surgery has been denied! It was from some company that was contracted by my insurance company to evaluate requests. They said there was no clinical or radiologic evidence to show that I needed surgery. I was really shocked as I have never had a bit of trouble with this company.

The letter arrived after my doctor's office hours, so I have to wait until Monday to call to see what "we" do about this. I can appeal, and then they have 30 days to respond so who knows how long this will take.

I could have done without this additional stress. @)
  • Sorry to hear about this new turn. No you don't need any more stress. Hope they get it sorted out quickly. Naida
  • I just want you to know that March is a good month.
    First, my birthday month, Second, St. Patrick's day, and 3rd...the first day of Spring which is the symbol of new life and hope.

I will pop in to see how you are all holding up.
    Stay healthy...vitamin C. They can't operate if you have any signs of a cold.

As for throwing up upon hearing you need surgery...I'd say normal. It's a stomache wrenching thing to hear you need back surgery. I can help those heading for microdiscectomies. I've had 2 (L5-S1 and a revision)...my words of wisdom are "listen to the rules of no bending, twisting, lifting" and "lie flat and lots of short, flat walks to keep scar tissue from tethering to nerve and to help healing".

Gwennie - I will pray that you can work things out to still go through with March surgery.
  • Gwennie, so sorry for your insurance troubles! I can relate. Most likely, your surgeon will need to write a letter of medical necessity. Mine was never actually denied, they just wouldn't consider it until I had a pysch consult which is standard for them. (I live in Tx, but my insurance is out of Mn). Also, you can call and talk to your insurance directly. I talked to them several times. I emphasized how often I had fallen (which is the truth) and that I was no longer able to perform my work duties. With persistance we finally got the direct number to the lady who was reviewing, and we got my surgeons office involved. Within hours she approved my surgery. But it took a good 6 weeks. Good luck. I'm happy to help in any way that I can, I know how stressful it is! Hang in there!~ Shari

• I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hope that by the end of the day, things look more hopeful.
advertisement