Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Severe leg pain after lumbar fusion - damage to nerve from screw?

advertisement

Comments

• I've read most of these comments and several other blogs and forums.  I just had my 7th back surgery June 28, 2016 with neuron monitoring, so I know my body and the rodeo circuit.  Everyone talks about pain. In these forums.  I don't have pain. I woke up from surgery from L3/4 fusion and my right felt different. 24hrs later, after being more awake, I noticed my leg was absent of feeling, and heavy to move. They scanned for a blood clot in the hospital. 
    7 weeks later, I've had EMG, MRI and CT and nothing. Pt was started at 4 weeks and therapist has noted significant atrophy and loss of motor and sensation consistent with L3/4 nerve root. Doctor says this is normal??? Screw that! The PA seems the only concerned and thinks a screw may have been placed too close to nerve. 
    I had surgery for severe back pain due to ruptured disc on top of previous fusion in 2014 when doing CPR on my deceased dad. My legs actually had little involvement and were my best asset. Now I can barely walk as pt and I have worked to develop the smaller accessory muscles in the leg and watch the gross muscles atrophy. I have to swing my leg from the hip to do what little walking I can do and I know this is screwing my surgery healing. There has been ZERO improvement. 

Has anyone else heard of of experienced paralysis after their back surgery? Have any ideas as to what might be causing this? 

• robb6911rrobb6911 New Brighton Pa.Posts: 2
    Hi sorry about what your going through it sounds just like my story I had a back ache in 2009 an had a back fusion done at the L5-S1 area I woke up from the surgury with my legs an feet killing me the doctor said it would go away it never did.an now after two more surgeries I am still in pain an for the last year or so every time I have a orgasm my legs kill me even with the pain meds an no doctors can tell me what wrong with me.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello yatyas !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello tammytaylor123 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Jill AnnJJill Ann Missoula MTPosts: 11
    Wind Turtle,
     I am so sorry to hear about all the hardships you have gone through.  How horrible.  My heart goes out to you.  I believe I am facing another lumbar surgery. I had L4-S1.  The screws sank at S1 but have solid footing. I am waiting to see if the bone will grow over the screws.  I am getting in more pain so will go for another surgery after I have some work done on my neck. 
    That aside.  I am back on pain pills. Oxycodone.  I hate being on them but for the moment have resigned myself to using them.  I was on them for year before my spinal fusion last December.  I didn't like them then and like them even less now.  My purpose in writing you is to see if you have tried medical marijuana for some of your symptoms.  I don't know what the Oklahoma laws are but cancer patients, fibromyalgia patients,  and others have found they can have a better quality of life using different strains of marijuana in a capsule form.  I know of someone who has such a business and tries to serve only those in legitimate need with legitimate health issues.  He has had comments from dying cancer patients saying they never would have had the family time while dying if they had been on opiates.
    Please forgive me if you are adamantly opposed to mm.  Where I live, right now the laws are in a flux so using mm is out of the question.  Plus the fact my doctor is opposed to such usage.  But I question how opiates are better than mm with the side affects opiates torture our bodies.  I am in a fog right now and know I have to take stool softeners just to be able to do something my body should easily to normally.  MM might be worth considering.
    I wish you happiness.  I wish you a return to a satisfying life.  And I wish you peace. Good luck beautiful woman.
    Jill Dahl  :)
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.