Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

FEARS - What are they?

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584
    Through your strength and determination, all the positive things you identified will and come true.
    Those negatives, well, only if you allow them to happen
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • You are absolutely right, we can do many things when we choose to be positive. Some days the negatives try to get to me, but I quickly try to kick them to the curb! All of the great people on this site are such a huge help, they help me put my worries in perspective, and if I am having a bad day, they cheer me up. I am fortunate to have my families support, as well as my SH family.
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    I'll keep this brief, my biggest fear?

"The Unknown"

Ranger

• LIsa I could copy and past your list for myself. It is comforting to be able to talk to people whom understand what you are going thru.

I have switched jobs to meet my needs but no clue how long that will last. I guess I went to school for 4 years to become an Occupational Therapist to take care of myself,lol.

I think my kids have taken the worst of everything. Pain isnt my worry, as much as the inabilty to be a part of their lives and give them what they need.

Enough rambling, got to try and get s few things done.

hugs,
    shell
  • Not knowing is the biggest one for me right now....
  • advertisement
  • hello,
    i have had pain for 20 years now and perhaps i would not have preferred to know what was ahead of me, what i know i would have wanted was support and guidance from those who had experienced and knowledge, that may ease my passage into the unknown.

it is only natural to be apprehensive and getting into the mode of best practice quickly and efficiently from the invaluable information within this site is key, we have to be selective and only read what is appropriate to our cause and not frighten ourselves into what might happen. the unknown is in our heads, thinking it may happen does not increase the probability of it doing so.

take care. john

https://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_confidence_to_be_yourself
  • I got a glimmer of an idea.
    By internalizing fears, we in effect, condition ourselves, using the stimulus of pain, to either fail or succeed, with behaviors, learned or put in place by our mind filling in the gaps of knowledge.
    these behaviors may have been internalized or engendered during the initial experience, and right or wrong, we act, on the assumptions we make about the problem with certain behaviors.

I think that if we are exposed to successfull pain management techniques, mind body and spirit, we have a greater chance at coping with fears of the unknown before us.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• ranch,
    this is the essence of cbt chronic behaviour therapy within pm and the notion of catastrophizing, when we learn to see everything negative as a determinant of the next step, in illuminating that constant pain which is understandable, we set that learned behaviour into a constant strategy within ourselves.

pm attempts to brake that cycle and empower us to have some control, sometimes that learned behaviour is so engrained it is impossible to start afresh, the technique encourages positive behaviour and to ignore any negative traits so in that way our new behaviour and subsequent changes our perception, even though we still have to endure constant pain.

this is hard to do alone and needs professional support and guidance, left unmanaged behaviours determine automated actions, is what is said, how it is said, and the words used. if we use the same negative strategy we will get the same results. it was said that it takes the same amount of energy to be negative and supportive of that behaviour, so why not be positive.

as you say ranch, the least we can hope for is the “greater chance” you mention and build from that, how individuals communicate pain is a measure of what is going on internally, living with pain every day and for the foreseeable future is not easy and an indication to just how strong we all are.

we all have fears the idea is not to let them determine how we behave, here maybe for the first time we get them into the open, and with others help and support, change for the better, cbt is now more integrated from the start before those traits of behaviour become entrenched and early intervention is seen as the most effective strategy to managing them.

take care john

https://moodletter.com/catastrophizing.html
  • :| One of my fears is I have been on narcotics for years. I am addicted to them. Not in the bad way. I DON'T crave them. I NEED them for my pain. The dosage has been adjusted many times during the last 5yrs I would say. My fear is being taken off the meds and going thru withdrawls. I DON'T want that to happen. How did your dr's handle this issue? My regular dr. says he will probably be the one in charge of weaning me off the narcotic. He says he will do it slowly. I HOPE it works. I don't want the withdrawl symptoms. I hear they can be really bad for some. I have other fears bout the surgery it's self. Pretty much the fears you all have. I wish all of you a pain free day. So you can do this today. :D =)) <:P
  • >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< :* :* :*
    I hope your shoulder surgery went well. Does anyone know how Dilauro is doing? Please let me know. I have shoulder issues. Nothing that can be fixed by surgery. So they say anyway. I wish him lots of luck.
advertisement