Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having an Anterior Cervical Discectomy 4/1 - Will I be home for Easter?

advertisement

Comments

• All went well yesterday. My EKG, Blood etc all looked good. I am not getting much support from my family doctor on my anxiety issue (she told me to call the behavioral health number on my insurance card) and the surgeon refers me back to her when I called there for help so I guess I am going to have to deal with the nerves on my own (which is awesome)
    Surgery 3 weeks from today and not looking forward to it more and more as the time goes on. Thank you all for your support and concern as it really does help and give me comfort (which is MUCH needed right now lol)
    My next appointment is not until the day before surgery at the hospital (which I guess is with anestesia or something) so I am on my own till then. Do you think it would help if I started drinking..lol :)

• but I have been having a small drink in the evening which is helping me to sleep and feel less stressed. I am not usually a drinker, but a glass of something is definately helping.

I wish you well sparkle for your surgery.
    I have a lumbar fusion on 19th March.
  • advertisement
  • Jellyhall, I feel for you so much. I know how stressed I am with mine being 3 weeks from now. If it was next week I think I would be loosing my mind. Is this your first surgery? I was mostly joking about the booze, with all my meds it would probably kill me before the surgery even gets here. I just wish I could relax and sleep. I am scared to go into a surgical procedure feeling so exhausted already. Lord help us. I wish you the very very best of luck next week :) Stay strong because we have no choice...
  • Hi Sparkle-

I had my ACDF (C6-C7) 2 yrs ago. I too have some anxiety issues. I was terrified of this surgery. I was soo afraid of the throat pain afterwards...the scar...on and on...If you can think about it, I worried about it,lol. However, the surgery all went well, I had minimal throat pain, way less than I had imagined. (I heard someone on here say they thought it had to do with the level you have done....maybe lower cervical fusions have less throat pain??) I am not sure on that one. I did get nauseous coming out of anesthesia, but they gave me something for that, then I was fine.I only spent one night in the hospital and was discharged the next day. I didn't have a collar or anything. I was in less pain after surgery than before...I am sure it is not that way for everyone, but for me...It immediately took the radiating pain away. I think the worst part about my initial in-hospital recovery...was the anxiety. I worried so much about even the small movements. After I got over the initial anxiety and was home for a day or so, things got much better. I agree with the idea of having some meals planned out ahead, as that was very helpful.Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have...Best Wishes, Jeanne
  • Thank you for writing. Your story makes me feel better. Some people have a fairly good time of it, some people on here not so much. I am hoping to be on the easy end of things. I have my mom who lives one street over as well as my ex husband who will be helping with the meals etc. I will make sure there is alot of quick fix kind of food on hand before the big day. How long did you have to go without cooking. How about going back to work. Is two weeks reasonable or am I just crazy thinking that might happen? I am so thankful for this board!
  • advertisement
  • for your good wishes.
    Yes this is my first surgery since I was 3 and had my tonsils out!
    I am actually surprised how well I am coping with the anxiety. I do have days when I feel very stressed and can burst into tears over the slightest thing, but most days I am quite calm. I had been stressing about making the decision about having surgery, for the last 18 months or so. I just couldn't decide to go ahead with it. Then my surgeon told me that if I tried to continue to avoid it, I would end up in a wheelchair. That made the decision much easier to make. Now I just keep thinking of that alternative, and I know that I don't really have a choice!

My faith is also helping me a great deal. I have people all over the world praying for me to have peace about this. I am trusting Him to look after me.

I have been told that I will probably be in hospital for 5 nights and will be able to go back to work in a school for the new school year, in September.

Hope that you are having a good day today.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    What type of work do you do? I would think that your surgeon might recommend at least 4 weeks out of work. I had a c5-C7 and had an Aspen Brace for 6 weeks so I returned to work at about 6.5 weeks post-op for my sedentary desk job.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I do customer service/sales so it is a desk job. Typing and phones. I think the surgeon just said 2 weeks was possible to make me feel better... I hope to get back in 2 weeks though :(
  • I will be thinking about you and praying for you next week. What are you having done (it looks like back procedure from the letters listed above but I am not good at understanding all that yet)

• Yes, I am having surgery on my lumbar spine.
    Discectomy and laminectomy to decompress my cord and nerve roots, then bone graft in a cage where the disc was, and then pedicle screws and rods to stabilise my spine while it fuses. This is all at L4/L5 where I have the spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra).

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I would really value them. O:)
advertisement