Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having an Anterior Cervical Discectomy 4/1 - Will I be home for Easter?

advertisement

Comments

• As contrary as this sounds, sitting at a desk job after an ACDF is extremely difficult. I really would plan on at least 6 weeks. I wasn't able to go back until 8 weeks and then only part time for the next four weeks. Some days I could only make it a couple of hours, and sometimes six.

You better tell me that you have a headset for your phone at work - you don't tilt your head on the phone, do you? Because if you did, you won't any more.

I know I told you that I was also terrified before my surgery, but with the pain, tingling and numbness symptoms, I had many days where I wished the surgery was the next day because I just didn't think I could take it any more. So, use your pain for motivation, if you can. Many of us woke up after our ACDF and all the arm stuff was completely gone. It was a fantastic feeling.

Cath
  • Cath,

As for the phone at the office, you know I totally sit with my phone on my shoulder typing away (most days when the pain lets me) I already told work I was going to need a headset when I return (which I could have used 6 years ago when this whole thing started). Maybe if I cannot make it to work I can at least be able to work from home. Did anyone have trouble typing after the procedure?? I am praying god will take it easy on me and let me get home and back to work soon.

Jelly,

You hang in there my dear. The anticipation is the WORST. It is making me crazy as well but . Treat yourself to the most relaxing enjoyable weekend possible. Eat all your favorites just in case you do not feel like it for a while. Spend time with the people in your life that give you comfort and remember we are all here for you! Hugs to all!!
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sparkle! How old are your 2 youngest children? I ask because if they are not in school, you may want to recruite your ex and you momma to help because for a few weeks you may be unbelievably tired, with frequent naps.

I am 2 weeks post op 360 Lumbar fusion L4-5. It was originally considered urgent and scheduled 12/23, only to be canceled the night before. My insurance wouldn't even consider approving the surgery until I had a pyschological eval. I was horrified and angry! I had to play along and so I had the evaluation. It really was helpful. I was afraid it was to weed me out, but actually, it was to help me with coping skills for after surgery. I think you should call your behavioral health services. You would probably need a visit or two, but then you could get some meds to help with anxiety, sleeping,etc. But, you just may also get some help with realistic goal setting and maybe discharge planning.

I wish I could be there to help with your children. Be sure to ask for help. Asking for help is difficult for me, I have always been the care giver. But this surgery has taught me the value of being able to allow others to do for me and to help!

Hang in there, cuddle your kids a little extra, have fun getting all the Easter basket stuff together, enjoy the beginning of spring! We are here for you! Shari
  • My kids are 15, 12 and 6. Problem is that my surgery is spring break week so they will all be home. But my Mom is great and my Ex will help out with whatever he can (when he is not working or in school)My mom or dad will be with me at all times I am sure until I am feeling a little better and my 15 year old is really good about helping me.
    Maybe I should call the behavoral health line on my card. I think I was offended by the implication, I am not crazy I am just scared you know. But the way you put it maybe it really is something that is necessary. I am going to do it. Thank you for that encouragement. Who would think I would need mental help due to having surgery.
    I hope you are hanging in there. Back surgery will be coming down the road for me too so I will definately be calling on all the lumbar people for advice then too. I only have 2 bad discs in my neck - I have 5 in my back so that will be a good time I am sure. What a long road we all have but I know it will be worth it when I feel human again.
    By the way, I have been stocking up on the easter stuff (went a little lazy this year with everything going on and bought some of the prestuffed eggs - what a lifesaver those are going to be). My 15 year old already knows he gets to be the easter bunny this year. :) Thank god for teenagers (Did I just actually say that..lol)
    Thanks so much
  • I know it feels/seems offensive to have to use behavioral health services, believe me, I really do understand. But, if it is the key to getting a little help with the jitters that come with spinal surgery, it is well worth it!

My first back surgery, I didn't know it was an option, and I suffered the day of surgery! I was so nervous, the thought of someone opening my spinal cord was more that I could take. But, the good news is, you don't have to suffer. There is help out there! I'm glad you have made the decision to call. Let us know how it goes! Hang in there! Shari
  • advertisement

• It is Mother's Day on Sunday here in the UK, so I'm sure I'll be spoilt and have a good time.

We had arranged for my daughter, husband and our granddaughter to come for the day, along with my Mum and partner. Sadly my granddaughter has got Chicken Pox and although I've had it, the hospital said I should keep away until she is over it as stress is likely to have lowered my immune system and I could get shingles.
    My husband will collect my Mum and stepdad though, so that will be lovely. Unexpectedly, my youngest son has come home from university this weekend, which is great.

I am slowly getting things arranged for post surgery.

Jayhawk
    Great to see that you are online again. How is your recovery going?

• Sparkle...you are holding up well from what I can read here. You are very prepared and confident that your family will be there to support you as needed. That's half the battle.

As for anxiety, I guess I was "lucky". Because I ended up in ER with my lumbar herniation (L5-S1), I left there wil muscle relaxer and pain med prescriptions (that I didn't want but they told me I'd be back to the ER if I didn't take them).

So I took them as needed. The valium is a muscle relaxer but an anti-anxiety med. It probably helped me before my 1st surgery. Would your surgeon offer to call in a small prescription for 1 pill per day?
    I don't know what other meds you are on but remember - alcohol doesn't mix with any tylenol based med (including percaset).

But, let me tell you, I came off all meds before my 2nd surgery. I had to come off ibuprofin and decided to come off percaset since I was only taking it 1X every 3 days and then maybe a Valium once a week. The good part of that was that since I did that 10 days before...the 2-days before, I decided a nice glass of red wine and a warm blanket by the fire place was a way to relax. I also took some short walks to clear my head (though it was more talking my frustrations and fears outloud so no one at home could hear).

You will do well. It is so true that the anxiety of the unknown...the waiting, is the worst part because it's just that...waiting. Once you have surgery, you are doing something...you are healing.

Good luck.
  • Hi JellyHall! One more week and this will all be behind you! It is so lovely that Mother's Day is this weekend! Perfect! I hope you have a great day!

I'm doing well. Little by little. Started P.T. today. I'm a bit surprised to start so soon, but I'm glad as I am so deconditioned. It will be very slow. At first, just waking up the nerves, muscles. It is Spring here, I have Spring fever and just wish I could go!

Take Care all! Shari
  • You guys are all so great. I am trying to read through and answer the questions. I am calling the behavioral health on Monday (I will let you all know what I find). I asked the surgeon first and he does not prescribe anxiety meds even for the day before so no luck there either. I am on probably the same type of stuff as everyone else. Vicodin ES every 6-8 hrs flexeril 10mg 2x a day and I take a 1/2 (25mg I think) or Sertraline at bed. Now I have not taken the muscle relaxer in weeks and no pain pill for the last couple of days. I figured I would respond better to the post surgery meds if I got them out of my system now. So I am just sucking it up for now to help me in the long run. I do not drink or smoke so I think I am doing everything I can to make this as easy as possible. Hope I am doing all the right things... You are all so wonderful and I wish you all great health in the not too distant future.

Melissa
  • Melissa, what type of muscle relaxer is it?
    Valium is a muscle relaxer but also considered anti-anxiety.

It's ok to take valium prior to surgery. They just want you off the anti-inflammatories but of course double check with your doctors.
advertisement