Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having an Anterior Cervical Discectomy 4/1 - Will I be home for Easter?

Comments

• You know what Cathy, it is funny isnt it. That no one wants to help you when you are loosing your mind. I have sort of had it with my Primary care and my surgeon. Now my orthopedic guy I know would help me, but him and the surgeon are at the same practice and whenever I call I go strait to the surgeon now instead of my ortho guy that has treated me for 6 years and knows me. It is pretty much a crock but what are we going to do. I will go tomorrow and hope they are able to help me cause I am not going to make it on my own. I cannot go into this surgery being stressed and exhausted from lack of sleep, it is just not a good idea :)
    Well we will see tomorrow. If not I will be calling both the surgeon and PCP back and crying till someone listens to me. I am working 10 hour days, taking care of 3 kids and I just need some help!
  • So I went to the counselor today. First let me say she was awesome. She gave me some relaxation techniques and prayed with me which was a great comfort. But she cannot help me with meds to fix my anxiety. Her exact words were "you are a perfect candidate for Xanez or Adavan (sp?), why is your doctor not giving this to you?" Like how the heck do I know why my doctor is not helping me... The counselor told me to call my PCP office and ask again, which I did on my way back to work. Feel like I am on a merry go round and not in a good way. Someone get me off this thing..
  • advertisement
  • Well just wanted to update you guys that they gave me something for anxiety today. Thank goodness. I feel relief just knowing I have something to help me now.

Thank you all for your support. Hope you are all feeling well today.

• I hope that you will now feel calm, and ready to get 'sorted' and move on with your 'new improved' life.

I hope that I'll be able to tell you soon that the anticipation is worse than the actual operation! Let's hope so. ~X(
  • Jellyhall,

I have been thinking about you so much. I am praying for you. I think 2 days before my day I will be in pieces. I am glad you are holding together so well. Stay around the people that give you comfort the next two days and pray pray pray. I will anxiously await hearing from you after you are feelilng well enough to send us a note and let us know how you are doing. Warm hugs and wishes for you!
  • advertisement
  • That is wonderful Sparkle! I am so happy for you! You truly do have to be your own advocate and the squeeky wheel really does get the attention! Hopefully the meds will take the edge off and allow you to enjoy your children. Hopefully time will fly by for you now!

Hang in there sweetheart! Hope you are having a good day and that the sun in shinning for you! Shari
  • You know it is funny the relief I feel just knowing I have the meds to help me if I need them. I swear it is like night and day. At least I do not feel like I will be ehxausted at the time of the surgery. Thank goodness. Well the sun feels like it is shining today no matter what, but I think it is actually out :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement and support. I am sure the next two weeks will be past before we know it.
  • Hi Melissa. I'm so glad that you finally got something to help. It's not like we want to take these things forever, just to get through the days and/or weeks leading up to surgery. That's really not too much to ask.

You know how, when things seem normal, we talk about how time flies. Days, weeks, months and years just seem to fly by and it's the same for us having surgery. Before you know it, you'll be home recovering, then, before you know it, it'll be three months post-op, then a year. Unfortunately, time does seem to drag when we know we're heading toward surgery, but I'm hoping the time goes quickly for you. I tried to keep myself busy so I wouldn't think about it too much, but other than that, not much you can do.

Again, I'm glad that the squeeky wheel finally got the grease. I know how it feels to just HAVE it, knowing that you've got something for relief when you have that anxiety attack that will come on unexpectedly.

Take care, my friend.
    Cath
  • Thank you so much. I think the next 2 weeks will drag and maybe the first week post op when it is the hardest pain wise, but I have to tell myself that after that I will start feeling a bit more like myself. At least I hope so.

How are you holding up. How is your pain? Are you getting back to normal (as normal as we ever get lol)

Keep in touch, I am sure I will loose my mind yet again before the big day. :)
  • Actually, I think the first week or two goes pretty fast after surgery because there's a lot of sleeping involved. But yes, the two weeks before can seem slow. You'll want to be really careful not having a brace, though. A brace is a great reminder of the things you shouldn't do, and since you're not going to have one, you'll really have to keep that in mind. Too many people without braces will move their head suddenly when startled or something. So, just be careful.

I want you to make me a promise, ok? When you post after your surgery, be honest and tell me if you found that the anticipation that you're going through now was much worse than the surgery. I found that is true as others have, and I'm anxious to hear if you feel that way after your surgery.

I'm doing really well. I overdid it a bit yesterday so I'm in a bit of pain today, but that happens at this stage. I'll always have pain in my neck (my cervical problems are much worse than my lumbar ones), but my lumbar is feeling really good these days. Unless I do too much, like I did yesterday. It's crazy how we feel like Superwoman or Superman a couple of months after surgery on our low pain days and think we're past the pain stage. It just doesn't work like that, unfortunately. I'm weaning off my pain meds, but had to take an extra this morning. Always three steps forward, one step back. Ugh.

It was so strange today. I was replying to Julie who's 8 weeks out from surgery and went to my calendar to see how far out I am exactly and I was surprised to find that I'm only 10 weeks out. For some stupid reason, I though I was much farther along, like three month or more. So now that I realize this, I'm going to take it easier. Man, this spiney world can be like the Twilight Zone sometimes.

Cath
advertisement