Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower Back surgery

Comments

• I'm like Cath, your story really scared me. I am so thankful that you were brave enough to post it so that others can read it and learn from your experience.

I too have a hard time remebering when I have taken a medication, especially if I am in pain. I keep a little notebook by my bed and on it I have listed what time I need to take which medications. When I do take it, I check it off. I have realized that it is difficult for me in the middle of the night. So each evening, I sort out what I will need. I put the meds in little containers that are labled with the time I need to take it. That way at 3 in the morning, it's a lot easier. I also have my hubby help me.

Hopefully your wife can help you too! glad to hear you are doing well. Now it's time to recover with rest and walking and walking and rest! Take care John! Shari
  • Sounds like things are going relatively well.
    Definitely tough to keep track of meds.
    I hope your wife can help. If she's too swamped, I would say, at least separate the 'daily' amount, this way you don't risk exceeding the daily amount.

Keep us updated, glad you are home!
  • advertisement
  • Glad you're on the road to recovery. For my meds I look at the clock and say 3pm or whatever time it is out loud then I turn the bottle upside down and it helps me remember. You can also set your cell phone alarm clock to help you remember or wake you up to take your meds. Best wishes on your healing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Just joined today, had my own list of questions, but am a success story of L5/S1 fusion with 4 rods 8 ped screws. Drop foot from neuritis but its all good.

Fusion for me was about 6 mths. The day of surgery when I was done I layed on my back for the first time in I dont know how long.

Patience, positive attitude and following directions is the key to a wonderful recovery. I wish you well and from the sounds of your posts your attitude is great.

• Good that you're home now and hope your recovery goes well.

Being able to talk about taking the extra meds and alert others is good because it could happen to any one of us. Sounds like the meds "took you to another planet" and that caused you to take extra.

Let us know how you're going and be patient because healing is slow.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement
  • When it comes to taking meds,I'm pretty serious.I have a panic disorder that started in 1992. I have gravely ill son, whom I can say doing excellent living indepedantly with 1 staff. He's 27 now raised from age of 3.Due to all the meds.his wt got up to abot 197,i use to have to restrain him almost daily I was always able to restrain him til he calm, unless he got behind me and I always seemed to get out of it. MY wt was 175 lbs. He was hopitialyzed aprox 43 times,and the last time a state institution. Throughtout the years, I have been put on diffrent meds. 6 in Am 1 4;00pm 5 in PM. I have post trumatic stress syndrom. I did all this by myself. I know exactly what every meds for,I'm pretty obsessed,when they need to be taken. I have also been sober for 25 yrs.
    Between my sister and wife, my wife giving me my meds @ this time. She bought a pill box and has organized my meds,and gives them to me @ there times.
    She has my 3:00 pain meds somewhere in our house, it's kinda of like Easter. I need to call her to where they are. I really scared her , and myself.
    Matter of time before that she feels I'm OK.
    She set her clock for 100:am to 3:00AM fo pain meds.
    Shes under enough strees being a SPL ED teacher' and her father being in the hospital for 3 yrs. I advocate for him and the disabled my son, or for anyone whom asks. When I well enough I want to donate my time to advocate.
    I feel like I'm writing a book.CMiska u hit it it rt on the head I felt like I was on a diffrent Planet.
  • First I want to let you all know I'm not wing nut.I walk and talk and fine mentally,for those of you that was wondering. I was'nt really given any dicharge Plan except to see the DR in a wk.He said pending on how I feel I can wear the brace or not, 85% I'm not wearing it. What do you you guys when your on the computer,I have to get off now back strarting to bother me. Do you guys sit on something or wear the brace. Being able to post really helps.
    Thanks alot
    John
  • Glad to hear your surgery went well and you're on your way with recovery. My hospital discharge back in February was very hurried due to an expected blizzard. I was still too medicated to realize it until later. If you are unsure about anything, call your doctor's office. They should have no problems answering your questions. I wound up having to call my surgeon's office several times with questions about things I wasn't told about or didn't think to ask at discharge. My surgeon was usually the one who called me back to answer my questions.

I was not given a brace at discharge. At my follow-up a month after surgery, xrays showed the top 2 screws had moved a tiny bit, causing additional pain and another month of severe restrictions. I was then given a brace and told to wear it whenever I was not sitting or laying down. While I hated it at first, I really wish I had had it immediately after surgery. I am more comfortable with it on and feel naked without it now. It really does help keep you from doing anything you're not supposed to do, the dreaded BLT's. I'm also more comfortable when out doing my daily walks or walking on the treadmill.

My husband and mother came up with a great chart to keep track of my medications, how often to take each one and I mark the time I took what. I've also added to the chart so I can now also keep track of my daily walking.

I personally have not been able to get comfortable laying in bed and have spent all of my recovery so far in my recliner, with my surgeon's okay. I was lucky and my husband found me a great rolling table, like the hospital ones, made specifically for a laptop. I'm so glad because being on the computer is really my only amusement most days.

Take care and don't hesitate to call you surgeon's office with any questions you have.
  • Just wanted to ley you all know I"m doing real well.
    I'm down to taking my meds from 4 x aday and at 3 times.I sometime forget I even had back surgery. The numbness in the the rt leg is gone,he gave me some steroid for the swelling.I just did'nt want to go away,but hopefully someone new going through this will help them. I some time for get I even had surgery, my wife came home and she found me digging a hole for a tree, thats a no no. I want thank the forum for being there for me pre op and all the craziness post op.
    My next appointment May 15, i'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks Again
    John
  • Good to hear of another success story :-). What surgery did you have?
    I am also nearly 7 weeks post surgery and doing very well.
    I don't think you'd find me digging a hole, but I am happy with my progress.
advertisement