Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

GET THIS. OPINIONS PLEASE...

Comments

• It's good you're getting a 2nd opinion. I'm glad you pointed out to the Dr. there's a herniation there although unfortunate it herniated again. I had the same herniation and small but bad enough to put me out of work for 2 years. The small ones are big when they're impinging the nerve and releasing all those pain chemicals on the nerve. Best wishes on your next Dr. appointment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry,,
    Thanks for that. It's good to have someone understand me. I dont know if this is a "small" herniation or what..i couldn't really get a straight answer outta the doc but all i know is it's killing me.
    There might be litigation in this matter too and i'm told that could be part of the reason for the hesitation w/the Neuro....they dont wanna get involved...
    Take care

Paul
  • advertisement
  • Paul

I actually had a ortho surgeon look at my MRi and report that said herniation and tell me he didn't see anything. But he said at least I had something good to use in a lawsuit!!

The neurologist didn't get the report but looked at films and said nothing there.

The neurosurgeon took 10 minutes to find the herniation. Then he admited that if he didn't know where to look from the report he would never have found it.

End of story there was a herniation and it was causing my pain. But it took four doctors, 5 MRIs now and 9 months to get the final answer.

So don't give up and get more opinions. I know it doesn't seem right but that is modern medicine.
  • Kris..
    Thanks for that. I'm sorry for you but glad I'm not alone. Thats all crazyness. I just dont understand it........I'm far from a doctor but If the Radiologist reads the MRI and states"Herniation""Fissure" "impinging S-1 Nerve root" what more is to be said? Thats how i see it anyway.

Good luck to you..
    Paul
  • I was very insulted when that surgeon implied that the radiologist was making something up for a lawsuit. However I have to say that in the last year my eyes have been opened to all the shady lawyers and medical professionals.

The day after my accident I called my orthos office but he was on vacation for a week. So I called a good friend who had recently had a car accident and needed surgery. She told me to call the lawyer first because she lost alot of money in her settlement because she made some mistakes with doctors and treatments. So I did. I told him my doc was away but I wanted to get checked out because I was afraid there was damage. He set me up with a doctor that afternoon. Well I was stunned when I walked into this office. It was a PT mill. The doctor was a chiropractor who took down a statement of the accident and took an xray with old equipment and told me to come back in two days. As we left he office I saw people walking in, signing a book and walking out. Guess they were establishing a treatment record. I was shocked!

Then I went to his ortho who worked out of a PT gym. The exam room was like the changing room at Macys. He wanted me to start PT before he even sent me for an xray(no equipment in this "office")

There are alot of scam artists out there. Unfortunately alot of good doctors have encountered this as well. In my case I think that first surgeon was only interested in "big" cases. Remember this was the same time they announced that herniated disks heal just as well on their own as with surgery. Doctors have to defend themselves to the medical boards and the insurance companies and the hospitals. A good doctor will try everything before doing surgery.

Now that doesnt mean that they don't make mistakes. Also it's a judgement issue. Every time they touch the spine there is a risk of causing future damage. Sometimes they wait so you will have more time down the road. Don't stop asking questions. Knowledge is power.
  • advertisement
  • Kris,
    Thats quite an interesting story. Are you in NYC? I wouldn't be surprised if you are.....thats not to knock NYC, but I;m sure in big cities like that there are scam artists and crooks alike.I was not aware of any such announcement re: discs healing on their own as opposed to surgery. I'm new to this part of it and have never sued anyone in my life. I'm a renter, slipped on icy steps here, the landlord lives in Florida and has been negligent in maintaining this property. I'm in upstate NY (Albany)...Once i fell i did contavt an attorney but he advised me we needed to wait till all medical tests were complete. I did that and once the report indicated disc herniation, they took the case. TRuth be told, I'm not trying to scam or hurt anyone but on the other hand, I cannot absorb all these medical bills either. More importantly, is my back. It's is killing me and after I had the first micro'd 4-09..i was fine. Now, I'm back to square one.
    I appreciate your comments&input..
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • Hi Paul:

It sounds like you're making all the right moves. The only thing I haven't seen is any thing about a Cat-Scan. Sometimes they can be more definitive in conjunction with the MRI. Some of my problems were seen on the MRI but my Ortho insisted that I also have the Cat-Scan as well to make very sure of what was going on in my back. Turned out that the Cat showed even more damage to L2-L3 as well as L4-L5. I also sent all my info to several spine docs to get their opinions as to what I had to do. I live in an area where there are not many good spine docs so I looked all over the country to get opinions. I picked the one with the most experience working with what I have going on and he will do the surgery with the least invasive procedure and NO rods and/or screws. I have about 3 weeks to go till surgery and I'm still looking for as much info as I can find about ourcomes for this type of surgery.

Hope all goes well for you. Marsha
  • Hi Tahogranny.....
    Thanks a lot for that because I never thought of it....but then again, why should I have too? I would think these Doctors would recommend these types of tests to me.
    Nonetheless, I'll inquire about that one at my second opinion meeting.You dont specify what it is you are having done. I wish you the best anyway...

Thanks,

Paul
  • Yes, you are correct, Paul. The radiologist is a medical doctor with a residency training in radiology. They do more than read imaging tests. They are also very much involved in the relatively new field of nuclear medicine. This is a field that requires careful training as they are working with radioactive materials, in some cases.

I think Cath was thinking of the radiologist-technician who performs the tests.

You can make an appointment for a consultation with the radiologist who read your films, or you can take the films to a new radiologist if you want another opinion.
  • Gwennie..Yes I agree, that is probably what the other poster was thinking of. I did not realize that I could actually consult this radiologist, thats news to me...thaks for informing me, I might just do that..
    Thanks

Paul
advertisement