Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Freakin OUT everday

aluapaaluap Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Everyday I wonder YYYYYYYYYYY i did this w/out more research..uhhhgggg..soo mad at myself..this is not an easy surgery..i knew it wouldnt be..but now that i went thru it..boy,.Tryin to stay positive..but knowing all the other what ifs..makes it hard..and the fact that my throat hurts..and shoulders do in afternoon..like i said..I:m on my 6th day since surgery..long road ahead..sure hope fusion takes..wont go thru this again
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you're having so much pain. Are you taking medications round the clock? Please call your Dr. He may be able to help if it's unbearable. Ice if you're able and popsicles. I haven't had neck surgery so can't help you more than that. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :H I am so sorry you in such pain.But just think how much better you going to feel after the pain go away and you start healing. Soon you will have your old life back.
    Yes it will be a long road ahead but it will be worth it.

(((((((((((((((((( >:D< )))))))))))))))

Jim
  • advertisement
  • Hi Aluap! Welcome to Spine Health, you will find so many members here who are willing to help and support!

6 days out from a cervical spinal surgery, is so soon! It is expected that you will have pain, soreness and not be very happy. Each day should be better. You just have to hang in there and maybe rather than counting days and looking for progress each day, look for progress after each post op visit or each week.

You said it yourself, it is a long recovery. Are you taking your pain maedications around the clock to stay ahead of the pain? If your meds don't work, you should call your surgeon.

For your sorethroat, popsickles, ice cream, shakes, smoothies, anything cold.

You could try ice packs on your shoulders or a heating pad.

Do you have someone staying with you? Have you been walking? Initially starting with around your house, progressing to outside on level, flat surfaces.

I know it is hard to be patient! I am less than 3 weeks out from a lumbar fusion and I get impatient, and have to just redirect myself with distractions, movies, mindless TV, crossword puzzles, music naps, wallks etc.

I hope this has helped! Hang in there~better days are ahead! Shari
  • Hi Aluap! Welcome to Spine Health, you will find so many members here who are willing to help and support!

6 days out from a cervical spinal surgery, is so soon! It is expected that you will have pain, soreness and not be very happy. Each day should be better. You just have to hang in there and maybe rather than counting days and looking for progress each day, look for progress after each post op visit or each week.

You said it yourself, it is a long recovery. Are you taking your pain maedications around the clock to stay ahead of the pain? If your meds don't work, you should call your surgeon.

For your sorethroat, popsickles, ice cream, shakes, smoothies, anything cold.

You could try ice packs on your shoulders or a heating pad.

Do you have someone staying with you? Have you been walking? Initially starting with around your house, progressing to outside on level, flat surfaces.

I know it is hard to be patient! I am less than 3 weeks out from a lumbar fusion and I get impatient, and have to just redirect myself with distractions, movies, mindless TV, crossword puzzles, music naps, wallks etc.

I hope this has helped! Hang in there~better days are ahead! Shari
  • but i thought that meant around the house..im 10 days post op...AND I FEELLL MUCH BETTER...LIKE A NEW WOMAN..withh hardware..lol..im goin out now to take a lil walk..please add me as your buddy so we can talk more..thank u soo much for replying
  • advertisement
  • what part of indiana are u from ..im from washington indiana ..had my surgery done at the indiana spine clinic in indianapolis..im 10 days post op..and im FEELLLING MUCH BETTER..life is good..i;m so greatful for this site..just wish i'f found it before the surgery
  • Happy to see you are doing better. Stay strong and stay ahead of the pain.
  • You're feeling better. whohoo happy for you! Take care and don't overdo it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It sounds like you had an ACDF on March 12. I also had this done on March 12. Mine was for C5/C6 with plates/screws along with a cage for stem cells from my hip.

I still have some pain in my upper neck area in the back of my head along with the incision being swollen (and about 5 inches long.)

Sometimes I feel some pain in my right hand. Keeping on top of the pain meds is key to staying sane. I have a follow-up appointment for Thursday where I will be getting a Bone Growth Stimulator to help with the fusion. I used to smoke and have quit as of Feb 18 (three weeks prior to surgery). Thus, my doctor wants the bone growth stimulator to help ensure the fusion takes.

Right now I am up to walking about two miles a day (not all on each trip). Walking for the most part makes me feel better especially since the pain meds make me want to sleep. It is a way to counter the sleepiness.

Let me know if you have more questions! I probably have just as many as you. I have not been through this type of surgery before. But, each day is getting better.
advertisement