Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

sex after lumbar fusion

Comments

• SuzzzSSuzzz Posts: 1
    edited 11/09/2014 - 6:18 PM
    raygirl said:
    Hi all,

I am new to this site. I have had lumbar fusion just 6 wks
    ago and am doing okay with some spasms and pains here and
    there. I am on no drugs and am walking a mile a day and up
    most of the day. My question is " Are there people on this
    site who have had "fairly sucessful " lumbar fusions and
    are having " normal" sex after they have recovered well.
    (longer than 2-3 mos.) I am wondering if that is a reasonable
    outcome if you are doing well otherwise. I know this direct
    but there doesn't seem to be anything on the sites except
    right after you have had the surgery. I do realize at first
    you need to be very careful. Any answers?? Ha Just wondering as I spend my days recooperating. I am a very positive person who will do my exercise to remain very active. Thanks
    Suzzz
  • edited 08/25/2015 - 11:53 PM
    i have 13 herniated discs. i had aligned may 7, i refused their legal heroin and only take tylenol for pain.......my pain is now only a bit worse than it was prior to surgery. my scar is healed, but hard and most pain is in legs. hard time getting up in am and more pain at night but i feel i am fairing extremely well on no narcotics. i had l5-s1 fusion........surgery was 13 days ago n i want to try spooning already..... i have a high tolerance for pain apparently..... do i really have to wait months? doctors xxxxx never clearly answer anything nor do they spend enough time listening...... i wonder......my spine is messed up bad too....... i'm going thru it with 13 herniations.....n my l4-5 is also herniated.... i have four children and it is hard not to push myself.......but i tell you.....i miss being able to wash my feet????

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • advertisement
  • Wait a while before being intimate. IF, something goes wrong or you partner does one little thing rough you are going to pay for it. Look at it like the next time you are intimate, it will be that much more "special"!

It would be a shame to mess up your back again just for a short moment of attempted pleasure.

Cheers!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Have to say I am just pleased to be able to turn over in bed at the moment let alone anything else. And yes, I miss washing my feet :-D . My sister and nieces bought me a 'helping foot' to assist with this. A foot shape with suction pads on the base and bristles/brushes and pumice stone on the top for in the shower. If not able to shower some soapy water poured over your foot while you wash your feet is a relief :-) .... I attempted wet wipes on the end of my handy helper in hospital as well and a foot spray :-) . I then stand on one end of the towel with one foot and hold it tight with my hand to make a tool to dry between my toes on the other foot if nobody around to help. Its crazy things that get to you isn't it :-)
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • bobsgf06bbobsgf06 Posts: 1
    edited 08/25/2015 - 11:54 PM
    my first surgery and my life was turned upside down a few times in the months before the surgery. having good sex is about the only thing keeping me from insanity right now. i do get sore from it, but its worth it to me. post op is a week away. i will be almost 8 wks out by then. the only pain left now, is my hip joints and pain across my buttocks. hoping its not causing any problems......

welcome to spine-health
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • advertisement
  • I'm a 34 yo female, I had a L3/4 fusion almost 9 months ago. It was months before I felt ready for sex. Like everybody else position, bearing weight and movement were issues for me too. We've found that a rather flat pillow under my hips and lower back tends to tilt me into the position I need to be in without bending my spine, makes lifting my legs a bit easier too. So far that's working really well for us. Mind you he is still not on top of me more sort of below me but I've experienced little to no pain or stiffness after. Sex is still not as often as either of us would like but it's working out for us. Also keep up doing your exercise and stretch everyday it helps.
  • I had the 360 fusion from l4-s1, at week two we played a little but it was way to early, I immediately regretted it. Complete lack of energy which a person really needs right then. At 3 weeks we tried again and it worked great. Tried again at 4 weeks, which is where I am now and it was fine then but next morning was horrendous. Still in pain right now. No pop or anything like that, but bad pain like a bruise kind of afterwards in my back around my pelvic bone. I think it all comes back to each individual person and taking it easy! Hope I didn't hurt anything bad, I've been assured that if it was hardware problems it would be so bad I couldn't stand it. Good luck everyone.
  • FarhanFFarhan PakistanPosts: 1
    Hey i have l4 l5 microdiscectomy when i can start?
  • I had a spinal fusion on July 19th. My husband and I have had sex 3 times since then.  I could tell I was more sore after the first time which was 2 wks after surgery. But being on top or sideways definately worked the best. My pamphlet said 2-4 weeks. I certainly hope it doesn't mess with my recovery because mornings are so awful that I wonder if I made a mistake having this done . 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello farhan !
    welcome to spine-health
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.