Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hmmmm-fellow spineys-stopped hydrocodone today--uuuughhhhhh

advertisement

Comments

• I really do miss having a beer and cocktails.

I am so happy for those of you who can start indulging again! That is a huge accomplishment. :)

Hope the aches go away real soon and better weather days are in the forecast.

Cheers!

Tammy
  • I agree Colleen, beer, wine, margies~it all sounds good! We all need to get better quickly so we can go party with Jeanie!

Since my surgery, not only have I not had wine, I haven't had coffee or diet cokes also!! ugg! I need to have soom fun! Shari
  • advertisement
  • Hi Jeannie

We're just the opposite here in Perth where we've had our hottest and driest summer ever, so you're welcome to some of it. I guess I've been lucky with my recovery because I've been able to get out for a walk each morning.

To tide me over for pain after physio or from just doing that little bit too much, I got another script from my local doctor for oxycodone. I cut the tablets in half and only take them when I absolutely have to. I'd get another script of the hydrocodone to tide you over.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Why no coffee or diet coke, I did not get those restricitons. I don't drink cofee, but tea, was that on the list of NO NOs?
    If you drank Starbucks you probably have saved a fortune.
  • Not2Happy said:
    Why no coffee or diet coke, I did not get those restricitons. I don't drink cofee, but tea, was that on the list of NO NOs?
    When I was first looking into fusion the ortho I was seeing who did my microD. He said smoking was a massive no-no. Next at a much lower level would be caffeine. He just told me cutting down would be good. So coffee, tea, chocolate, etc... Caffeine dehydrates you. That includes, to a lesser level, your discs.

The neuro who just did my fusion wasn't too concerned about coffee. He refused to do surgery on smokers.

Graham
  • advertisement
  • Yes, sometimes we do not realize we have pain in other parts of the body or even spine, until we stop taking a particular medication.

I never felt Lyrica was helping my pain until I stopped. Then I realized it had been masking all the lesser pains. My "major" nerve pain didn't really seem a lot worse, but I suddenly discovered I had lots of other smaller nerve pain sensations in both legs.

Have you ever taken Celebrex? It might help you all-over...but I don't really know if it is any better/worse for you long-term than hydrocodone.

Gwennie
  • Hi: I know how hard it is to get off these darn meds. Especially if they are a narcotic. I have avoided these for many years and have had good results with Ultram (tramadol). It's non-narcotic, non-addictive and does relieve swelling and pain. 3 times a day does the trick (100 mg. each time). A pain Doc told me that I had to spread the doses out during the day and to make sure that I took the last dose just before bedtime so that I would have enough of the med in my system for the night. It has always worked for me.

Hope this note helps yoiu in some way....good luck. Marsha
  • yes Trish,please send some of that hot sun!!!----I was offered Celebrex,and I turned it down--I will be ok-it will just take a few days-if I refill the script,I still have to face the day I quit taking it-but it is a good idea to wean off.What was I thinking!!!Also,today was the first day I went back to substitute teaching--so when I got home about 3 I took a bath,drank a beer,got in the recliner,and fell asleep for about an hour.Like the hydro,the only way I am going to build up my stamina is just jump in and do it!!!But,I do hope I am not called for tomorrow.----Jay,if I couldn't have coffee or coke,I would go over the edge-how do you do it?
  • I can't believe how great you are doing at 10 weeks post op. Where did you have your fusion and what type was it? I wish I did as well as you. Anyway, there is no rush when it comes to healing from spinal surgery and if you need a Hydro here or there for the pain, that is absolutely just fine and don't feel bad for having to take one. I do admire that you are weaning down on pain meds and even managed to go back to work. Just be careful and rest whenever you have to. Take care
  • I know it had some effects, but I would't think a cup in the AM to wake you up from drugged sleep would hurt. I hope not, my caffeine intake has increased as I try to stay awake during the day, or else I don't sleep as well at night. It not much, but I don't think I could do without. Chocolate, yes, the meds ruined my taste for it. Maybe I shouldn't wean myself from the meds until I am 10 lbs lighter, wish I could LMAO.
advertisement