Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Handicapped Parking

advertisement

Comments

• Hang in there ladies! This is so very stressful and you both are functioning on little sleep. I remember before my surgery, others would suggest to me to make meals ahead of time. It would make me so sad because I was in such rough shape I couldn't make us food to eat at the time!

As far as hubbys, mine would get angry because he could not fix me and he wanted to so badly. He didn't want me to do any household work. But yet it doesn't take care of itself on it's own. He is in sales and he would promise he that he would help after surgery!

Ladies, ice crystals must be forming in h*@^ because he is helping! :) And he is supportive! Things are definately not getting done the way I would do it, but thats ok!

Hang in there~after surgery, you won't care how the house looks or what kind of food you are feeding your kids (sparkle).

Try to be kind to yourself each day!

Sparkle~please consider calling your cervical surgeon and let him know about your falling (I fell many times also). He definately needs that bit of important info. You may get issued a walker at the hospital. I came home with a walker and a 3-in-1 commode aka raised toilet seat.

Remember Ladies we are here for you! :) Shari
  • As much stress as we are under there are times where I just read the notes and get a little giggle. I guess that is good. I have been falling off and on for 3 years. I actually was having bladder control when I fell and yet it still did not cause any stir in my ortho guys so I just live with it. Yes, I have so heard the, oh you should make a lasagna and freeze it or whatever. Man, they are lucky to get mac n cheese right now. I am not at the top of my cooking performance today and I will not be for quite some time. I am sure my mom will make sure my kids dont starve..lol They may not love her food but it is better than being hungry. And Marsha, Last weekend my brother and 3 kids (ranging from 3 to 15) were here for the weekend. I wanted to see them so badly but all I thought about was the time that I could be using cleaning something at the house.. lol. I did not RELAX one bit while they were here but I guess it was still worth it to see them. Try to relax and enjoy your weekend and give the hubby a nice hand written note of what you think he needs to pack then leave it up to him. My ex complained about having to pick out my six year olds clothes this morning, like really.. I just laughed and said "get use to it" ha ha. Trust me that picking out her clothes will be the least of his worries when he is in "charge" for a couple of weeks.. lol. I guess sometimes I just have to make myself laugh so I do no go insane.
  • advertisement
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Luckily I thought about the disabled parking placard before my pre-op appointment. For the state of AZ I could just go online and print out the form. There are two options, temporary or permanent. I filled out the form and checked the temporary box (it's 6 mo when you opt for temporary). I took the form to the pre-op appointment and the Physician's Assistant (PA) signed it without question then we drove to the DMV to get it, took about 20 minutes of waiting (not bad).

The irony is there have been a few occasions we've wanted to use it but all the disabled parking spots were taken! If there is a non-disabled spot available close to whatever we are going to then we don't use the placard. But when we went grocery shopping we did as we knew the walk in the store would make me a bit sore, so I'd need to sit down as soon as possible.

When I lived in NJ in the mid-90's (it may have changed since then) the actual surgeon's office could give out the disabled parking placards, which had a duration of 90 days, but they could only do this once. If you needed one after that it required a trip to the DMV with a form signed by the doctor. I had some extensive knee surgery and I found the disabled parking placard to be a blessing back then.

I may use the placard more when I am driving alone than when hubby drives me somewhere.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • If you have someone to take you, just have them drop you off. In the beginning, my wife would drop me off at the door, and I would walk in and get a motorized cart. Later on, I got a bit more stubborn and made her park wherever, then we would walk slowly together.

It would be altoghether different if you didn't have someone to take you. I would hate to take a handicapped spot from someone that "really" (I don't mean anything by that) needed it. I felt guilty when I had one, and just threw it away. I guess it's a guy thing!
  • I've also felt guilty when using my handicap placard once I was feeling a bit better. So, being the idiot that I am, I always made a bigger deal of getting out of the car and walking slower into the building so I looked more handicapped. Isn't that just idiotic? Consequently, I don't use it very often at all any more - I figure I need the walk anyway.

My brother, who was truly handicapped (amputated leg, asthma, diabetes, etc.) used to get so ticked at people that parked in the handicapped spots that didn't have a placard or plates, that he'd hock a big loogy and spit it on the windshield right in front of the driver's side. LOL He was a piece of work, but maybe a few of those people stopped parking there in the future.

Cath
  • advertisement
  • I am one of those people that gets mad when I see someone park in the handicapped spot that does not need it. I picked up my placard today and put it in my glovebox. It was embarrasing to me just to go into the BMV for it. Like people looked at me funny, why would SHE need one of those. Pray I never need it - right?
    Your story made me laugh.. :) Thanks so much!
  • Someone famous said that and it is soo true. I used to get mad when I saw someone in those handicap spots who didn't look like they needed it. I'm old enough to remember parking lots before they had handicap spots. Boy were people mad when they started that!!

But my point is that what you think you see is not always the whole story. Can anyone see my 23 staples in my back? Can anyone see the hardware they put in your body? Just because someone "looks" ok doesn't mean they are. And just because someone carries a cane doesn't mean they really need it.

So try not to judge others. A piece of paper is just that - paper. Do what you feel is the right thing and hope that others will act the same. Afterall you aren't going to change someone who is selfish or mean just by making a law. But by example we can change the world.
  • You are absolutely right. Everything you said stands true. But I have to admit having the problem I do not really makes me appreciate that fact. That things are not always what they seem. I know that I will use it ONLY when absolutely necessary and you just have to hope other people use theirs responsibly too.
  • You are so right.

Several years ago after I had the ACL repaired in my right knee, I used my Handicapped sticker and someone stopped me and yelled that I did't look that handicapped. My reply, are you a Doctor and would you like to examine my scars? That shut them up. I know how frustrating it is to feel that you have to use the sticker...but do so, if you need it. That's what they are for.

Hugs to all.....Marsha
  • I already got looks at the BMV, I can only imagine. I think it is almost sad because it does discourage people who need it from getting it because of the stares... I cannot imagine what I will say if someone says that to me. All I can hope for is if I have to use it that they can tell I just had surgery. You know, then they will leave me be.
advertisement