Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broadbased posterior disc bulging at L4/5, anyone?

Comments

• Just my curiosity and concern, how does the scar tissue develop post surgery? What caused it? Is it because during surgery, the nerves need to be pulled away/retract causing it to scar??

If scar tissue develop after surgery, is it treatable/ reversible? or it is considered a partial permanent nerve damage that you have to live with rest of life?
  • Do not even consider ADR for this diagnosis. There are better ways to offer you pain-free life.

Why micro-discectomy when there is minimally-invasive surgery possible. For your posterior diagnosis, you could be a good candidate for interlaminar endoscopic discectomy.

No scar tissue, less post operative pain, quicker recovery, world-wide success rate from 80-90%. Research minimally-invasive spine surgery!
  • advertisement
  • I had a L5S1 MicroD for a 6mm left/broad based paracentral disc herniation with DDD.

My surgery was a L5S1 MicroD w/ bilateral foraminotomies..

At this point, I wish I would not have done it at all.

I had similar symptoms as you and even when I woke up from surgery, my left leg stil hurt.

I found out later, at about 8 weeks, that I have a large disc fragment, or a foreign object lodged underneath my left L5S1 nerve and my stenosis is WORSE than it was pre-surgery.

I'm still in pain and it is only getting worse.

I've got a LOT of scar tissue, a disc fragment, one, possibly 2 additional post operative herniations on the same disc.

I've had 2 ESI's post surgery.. Transforaminal and Caudal and they have provided modest amounts of relief.

I had reduced L5S1 disc height due to the DDD prior to surgery.

After surgery, my disc height was even more reduced and I'm facing another surgery.. this time a fusion.

If you have a broad based protrusion and normal disc height, it MAY be worth a shot.

If you have a dessicated disc, reduced height AND the herniation, I would SERIOUSLY consider doing a fusion and getting it over with.

I WISH I would have known then, what I know now, because a fusion is exactly what I would have done the first time around.

Now I'm facing another surgery, additional scar tissue and more risks.

Not trying to scare you, but a LOT of doctors promise sunshine & roses.

Be careful..
  • Anytime you have an operation where they cut into your body there is a risk of scar tissue. Just like if you cut yourself, you will get a scar. I'm sure if you searched scar tissue on this site you will find a peer reviewed medical explanation of scar tissue and why it develops.
  • Hi,

After many surgeon visits, advice, and help from this forum (especially from buckeyeback, scmguru, DNice), I think I am almost safe to say that I am not the best candidate for micro-d because of my BROADBASED POSTERIOR PROTRUSION.

I am left with one option (suggested by my surgeon), which is bilateral laminotomy or laminectomy, without micro-D at all. Does anyone here have any complications with just the laminotomy or laminectomy alone? I heard that if not done properly, it may cause spinal instability that may lead to fusion in later years.

I haven't discussed it in detail with my surgeon - something that I will do next week. I suppose the aim here is to cut out the lamina bone to create more space between the disc and nerves. Since it doesn't involve retracting the spinal cord, is there still a risk of damaging the nerves (i.e. the ones in the lateral recess)? Do I need to worry about scar tissues developing around the nerves and pressing on them?

Kflee0

• advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.