Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Same savage right heel pain

Comments

• Hi all,
    I am back to work after another 2.5 weeks on disability for a total of nine since tarsal tunnel surgery. Evidently the damage to the nerve from the neuroma is permanent. It’s been OK but at the end of the day the heel is still the same, CUT IT OFF!!!! I am at the point of decision. Do I go for the SCS or removal of the nerve? If I go SCS route it is just a trail to see if I can get coverage in the foot. If it works and an implant is done and then stops working it is reversible. If I go the nerve removal avenue it is permanent. I am so tired of this nerve pain. My PM is pushing the SCS hard. Most pain meds are of little to no use any more. I am taking Neurontin 800 4x but the side affects of that are getting worse, mostly just CRS and blurry vision. I am leaning to nerve removal because then the issues of the SCS are not there. But in researching nerve removal phantom pain is the biggest issue. Despite the nerve removal my heel could still hurt because nerves remember though there would be no real pain in the heel. I just really do not want to be tied to the SCS. Am I making the SCS more of an issue than necessary or is it real? I have pushed off the next PM appointment until mid July. I just hate being in a pickle like this. I have researched this to death and still cannot find much on nerve removal and side effects. I am grateful my back (PLIF) did work well. Sometimes though I think that there is still an issue at S1 to the heel, you know a gut feeling, but it is difficult to articulate to the Doc. All MRI’s & CT scans are showing no compression. Any way it is nice to be working because it is a good distraction from the pain. The PM doc said that Medtronic has a new paddle lead out that can cover the whole foot. What to do, what to do. I just keep asking questions and praying for guidance. Thanks for listening to my rambling in doing such I can answer my own questions, sometimes.
    God Bless,
    Highwayman
  • Good Morning,
    Well after much research, talking with different docs, my wife, and prayer I have decided to have the nerve (calcaneal) removed from my heel. That nerve is a sensory nerve only. It is not for muscle control. It seems clear that the damage from the neuroma is done. The doc will cut it above the neuroma (at the tarsal tunnel) then put the end of the nerve up in the calf muscle where there is less chance of stimulation than left down in the tarsal tunnel. The area that would be left numb is not that big, the inside of the heel going under to about half way across the bottom of the heel and maybe a small part of the arch. The doc put a steroid shot right into the offending nerve on Tuesday; I just about came unglued until the numbing agent took effect. Since Wednesday the heel pain is down to about a 3 which is great. I do not know long it will be this way but I am grateful for the relief. The SCS will be my last option if the nerve removal does not work. My job involves being around RF radiation and I do not know how this would effect the SCS. It would be a bummer to have it put in me and not be able to turn it on at work where I need it the most. Now whether phantom pain will be an issue or not we will see. I hope it does not turn into a catch 22.
    The healing process from the decompression of the nerves between the long bones in the foot is very slow. Though I did not have Morton’s neuroma the nerves where compressed. The testing of that area on Tuesday showed an improvement of feeling which I can tell. The swelling though of the ball and pad of the foot is slow to go away and painful still. Unforchantly(sp) I am on my feet on concrete 90% of the day at work.
    My pain doc has changed me to nucynta 100 4x a day and neurontin 800 4x a day. This has done me better that Percocet. The surgery is scheduled for late August due to summer activities. Now if that shot will last until then I would be a happy camper.
    I am done rambling now, have a great 4th July holiday,
    God Bless,
    Highwayman
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the update. I really hope that this all goes well for you and you get some much needed relief. Sounds like you have a top notch doc who wants to do right by you. I completely understand your decision to try the surgery first. That's what I did and I could not be convinced otherwise at the time either. That's okay, because it's our body and our decision and we are the ones that have to make the hard choices. If cutting the nerve works, then you are free! Oh what a wonderful thing that will be for you.

Best of luck!

"C"