Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniations in thoracic area causing breathing problems

advertisement

Comments

• I'm so sorry your having this problem, I know I asked ake the pulmonologist I see after he read my MRI report he agreed that T spine can make me feel as though I can't take a deep breath in, and cause painful breathing. The chest pain and trouble breathing are new to me.

I have tried a brace, which for me didn't work.

I hope the NS has some asnwers for you, gl!

ilene
    Ilene
  • The problem I am having with the not being able to breath just happens. I don't even know that it is going to happen and with my asthma the first thing I go for is my inhaler. Then I realized that it was the back causing the problem. About 3 months ago I actually thought I was having a heart attack but came to realize then it was the thoracic problem.

It is scarey and hard to make doctors understand how bad you feel but don't ever give up. I haven't given up yet and that is the only reason I am seeing the neurosurgeon now. I called the neurosurgeon's office to see if he could rush my MRI and his wonderful receptionist did it for me.

I will keep you all posted when I get some answers next week.

Candy
  • advertisement
  • I went to my PM doc and spoke to my neurolgost after and they both agree in my case that because my pulse ox is going down that the pain is not from my spine. I am not sure still, in my heart (no pun intennded) I think it is my spine. Anyway, I am still seeing a cardilogist tomorrow and having an echocardiogram (the test I use to give). I do have a small hole in my heart, it's the one that is suppose to close 3 days after birth, in my case it closed 96% but remained a little open, it's common,annd is called a PFO (pulmonarry outflow track obstruction). I never would have known about it if I wasn't an echo tech, new machine, you check things out on each other, and theree it was. Years later I had an official one, and it was still there, I was never worried, now the pulmonologist is thinking it got larger, hopefully tomorrow will tell, and will take it from there. I am not saying this is what you have, but am asking you to follow up with your GP, and see what they say. Safe is always better, but trust me when I say I am not running for anything invasive, there are lots of non invasive tests...

Hope you feel better,
    ilene
    Ilene
  • Hope it isn't bigger now Ilene but hopefully they can help you if it is larger. I am not sure if they can help you with that? I had the test done last year in Aug before my second lumbar surgery. It came back fine. My GP knows about my breathing issues and he believes it is coming from my thoracic herniations. I will find out Monday what neurosurgeon thinks and if he is going to do surgery to help me. That was a good thought thanks Ilene.

Candy
  • Well I saw my ns today and he said no to surgery. He told me that it would be open chest surgery and that until I basically can't feel my legs any more it won't be done. He told me to live with the pain and it should go away sometime. I can't believe with all the technology we have now a days and all the success stories I have found online that I can't get any help. It actually can make a person very depressed to know that this pain could be there the rest of their life and that there is treatment out there that can help.

Candy
  • advertisement
  • I'm sorry to hear about what the neuro said, but I also know that thoracic issues are very, very difficult to treat.

Have you considered another opinion? I know that might be difficult in Canada, but wondering if that's an option.

The other concern, of course, is your breathing problems. Maybe that's something that you need to address as a separate issue, with a pulmonologist to see if that problem can be treated separately from the thoracic issue.

I'm not well versed in any of these issues, but thought I'd throw this out there since surgery is not in your future. If you're having such difficulty breathing that you're on the verge of going to the ER, this might be something to look into.

Take care and I hope you can get some answers and relief
    Cath
  • Thanks. As for the breathing problems the neurosurgeon did agree they were from the herniations. He said it is because the nerves are being pressed on and told me to live with it. When I move west I am going to search for a new family doctor and spine doctors to help me.

Candy
  • Candy,

Sorry to hear that they pretty much aren't going to do anything at this stage - that has to bite! My thoracic is nothing on the scale you are on, and just thinking that the pain continues with no relief, Wow! I find out Thursday what is on the plate for me. I think the neck is back on the front burner! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Can you maybe get another opinion? Open chest type surgery is not something I will ever look forward to, but if they can take some of your pain away, it would be worth it!

Please stick to your guns until you find someone who can give you true relief, even if not via surgical intervention. Support *hugz* Candy!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I hope you get help Thursday.

I will get another opinion when I move west. For right now I will see if my family doctor can put me on a slow release med. I see him Thursday so hopefully he will help me. It is horrible being in such pain everyday and now it is becoming the norm for me. I am also sick of people making smug remarks about my pain too. I know for a fact most people would just curl up and die if they were in my pain. My physiotherapist/chiropractor has already told me she doesn't even know how I drive because of what is wrong with me. Sorry Brenda I didn't mean to go on. Thank you for your kind words. I am just so tired of the constant pain with no let up at all.

Keep me posted about your neck and stuff please.

Candy
  • It was great finding you in chat last night. :-) My appointment got moved to tomorrow, emergency of some sort - I am guessing surgery for someone. Will update.

I hear ya about the smug remarks of a few. What is sad, is many of them Candy?? ---> They couldn't handle it if the situation was flipped! I actually keep that in my mind as a "internal thumb snub" when I run across folks like that. Or (evil side coming out), I picture them curled up in a corner crying cuz they hurt! One of our guys was complaining to me the other day that his back "was killing him." I looked at him and he said "What's with the raised eyebrows?" I told him, "Gee, what you are feeling, it will go away in what, a week, 2? Try it 24x7 and it doesn't go away! Sorry, no sympathy here!" He didn't seem to like that answer. (G) I have your back girl friend!!! *HUG*

I hope your doctor can get you something that works until something can be done. Having issues in my neck, thoracic and lumbar, I have to say the burning of the thoracic is the worse part. Lyrica doesn't touch it, so with no break it is fully understandable that you get tired Candy. I am here if you ever want to chat, vent, laugh, scream!! :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement