Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery Approved!!

Comments

• No, it is done right in the office and is supposed to take 45 minutes, no stitches, just a "steri-strip" to close. Oddly enough, the nurse who will assist the surgeon used to work in the OR with my spine surgeon...and then she also worked for my previous spine surgeon who did my fusion. So I was pleased to talk with her and find out that she thinks this vascular surgeon is "good."

Happy Mother's Day to all my spiney lady friends!
  • I hope all turns out fine with the procedure tomorrow. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Gwennie,

I hate to hear you have to have this procedure. But glad it is being done so you can have a clean bill of health before "the big ONE"!! Sending good vibes your way. Please keep us posted.

Hugs,
    Traci
  • So glad that you got your surgery approved! I will be praying that your surgery is a complete success and that your recovery goes very well.

Lynn
  • All the best. Just one more little hurdle, but you can do it!

Take care,
    Naida
  • advertisement
  • Ooohhhh. I made the mistake of finding a video of the procedure online and I started to watch it. UGH. It didn't look nearly as "minor" as the description I got from the surgical nurse! @) It looked a lot deeper than I was led to believe.

I'll let you know in twelve hours how "minor" it truly was....
  • Hope all goes well and you can stay calm!
    You can do this; you have had spinal surgery.

That has become my mantra when I am worried about something :-)
    I used to say ...... I have had a baby!

It will soon be done. Then you can go home and relax
  • Hope it all goes well today. Even though the procedure looks deeper than what you were told, best to know beforehand so that you know what to expect.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thinking of you today and keeping you in my prayers! Hopefully by now, it is over and you are home resting. When you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing!

wishing the best for you! xxxx Shari
  • It was a little worse than I was anticipating. It didn't really hurt, but it took a LONG time. I was lying on my back for 45 minutes. Even with pillows under my knees it was hard to stay still that long, with my neck turned to the side. You neckies out there would have been very unhappy.

I was numb on the side of my face but I could still hear everything and there was such a feeling of pressure and pulling.

While I was lying there, I was thinking about how odd it is that they'll give you conscious sedation for a spinal injection, but for this I could only have novocaine. It was much worse than an ESI without anesthetic, in my opinion, of course. ;)

So, it is over. I have steri-strips and about a 2.5" incision. I was told there would be a small scar but they'd try to hide it in my hairline. I just looked in the mirror. The only way that is going to happen is if I grow hair in a new location!!! Oh well. I can take a shower and I have to go back in two weeks to get the incision checked. The pathology report will be sent to the neurologist and I will know something in a couple days.

So thanks for the prayers and good wishes. I'm glad this is over.
advertisement