Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain caused by hardware

Comments

• While I was at PT, while a lot of my pain was helped by the therapy, I told my PT that I had this one spot on my lower left back side that seemed to hurt a lot and the pain radiated out from there.

She said that it was probably my hardware causing the pain and that it might have to come out, but they won't even think about that for another year. (BTY, I'm lucky that my PT is in my spine clinic so they can look at my xrays and MRIs at any time.)

Anyway, I'm just going to live with it along with my C6/7 incomplete fusion until either of these things cause me to not be able to live a decent life any more.

I wonder if (or why) lumbar hardware seems to cause more problems than cervical hardware? Maybe that's just my imagination and that's not really the case.

Cath
  • its been almost three years since my lumbar surgery and i was fortunate enough to have been given experimental flex rods to increase my mobility. the surgery has been a great success, but for the first 2 years i would feel the hardware in my back, or atleast though i could. it was especially bad in cold weather. i can say atleast in my personal experience that the feelings decreased over time. as of now i dont even know its there anymore. i think its kinda like going to the dentist. after the tooth is removed for weeks you are constantly checking that site with your tongue. until your mouth gets used to the feeling then its perfectly normal. i just think the body takes alot longer to accept the foreign objects within.
  • advertisement
  • at 6 months out. The Axial bolt inside my spine at L5-S1 not so much really anymore. First few months yes. Deep ache in my bones.

Now the rods and screws. Oh yeah. In fact the lower 2 are really easy to push on the top. I feel the muscles around them too. They still give me muscle spasms. Especially when I first lay down. It's painful getting up and I need to stretch. Then once I'm moving, not so bad.

I asked my surgeon and he told me it was probably the one issue that I would be better off if I was "more meaty" as he put it... ;-) He also told me pain or not they say put until my 1 year visit. Then we will do Xray and CT Scan. If it is still a real problem then we can discuss removing the rods and screws.

Graham
  • I have had 2 failed fusions at L5-S1 and have a lot of pain, all mri's and ct milogram's all showed nothing, then I had a bone scan and they found the hardware was loose. My surgeon want's to use a bone growth stimulator, but this has been going on for 3 years, and the fusion never fused. Has anyone had success with this?
advertisement