Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gwennie17

Comments

• It is just my humble opinion, but having been an active member on this site (daily) for over a year now, I became very familiar with Gwennie's posts and I can say that I could see how she stepped over the line of SH's rules.

At the risk of being blasted, I will say this: I think that Ron made the right decision FOR THIS SITE. Don't forget that she had been warned formally 4 times to stop what she was doing and continued to do so.

I think that Ron and the rest of the SH team do an excellent job running this site and deserve our support. Don't forget that we are not privy to the PM's that are sent to them from members.

I certainly am not trying to be a "brown-noser", etc., but if you are here long enough and often enough it is easy to see that banning a member is not something the Authority Team does on a whim. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, I probably just ticked off a bunch of people, but I needed to say my piece.
  • BIG, BIG brother has come to the sites rescue. I am not at all happy to see her banned. She was polite and gave very good information. In my time here I have never seen her give direct advice to anybody. A private message is just that Private and IF big brother on this site feels the need to go into peoples private messages, and did so, to get information used to ban a member to me that is just wrong. This site is about sharing information and offering suggestions on what may be going on based on ones experience. I guess the offering of suggestions is now totally off the books since big brother feels it is doctoring in some way, shape, or form. Unbelieveable!! I guess her knowledge was to threatening.

JMO So as not to confuse BIG brother this is just my opinion.

• advertisement
  • None of us know what was going on behind the scenes. I am sure this decision was not made by one person and if a group all felt this was necessary then it probably was. Also they don't deserve our anger - remember they are volunteers to give many hours of their time to keep this site going.

Gwen was a great source of info. And I believe she meant well. But we have to have rules so that we can all exist.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    what we do is factual based on actual situations and events.
    Big brother type of attitude is left for those large companies that need that to survive.
    Sorry
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    those who have been here long enough I know can do that, for newer people, well, I have to earn their trust.

I realize Gwennie was a great source of information and helped many people. But when you break a rule and are told about that and break again and warned again and break it again, enough is enough.

We have had to discipline people on the Moderator staff for things like that. That was a while ago, but, it does prove one thing, No one is above the Law!

If for a second I break rules, I expect to be punished for that. In my role, if I break a rule, I should be removed from the position I hold.

I take all of this very serious....

When I joined Spine-Health several years ago, it was for help and friendship. As I have moved into more authority roles, I need to be more careful of what I do day to day. I cant be the light and off the cuff person I was before..

Today, my primary focus is making sure that all of Spine-Health members are being serviced. The owners of this site have given me that authority and I will always make it my top priority.

This situation with Gwennie, I wish it never came to this point, but I am feel confident that I had given her as well as the rest of my team every option, every chance to change what was wrong.

The rest was in her lap
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Although i haven't been here for long, I am invested and wish I would have known about this site years ago.

Ron, I can only imagine the difficulty of this situation as Gwennie had a huge presences on this site.

So for many of us, old and new, this is a lose. And as spinal patients we have already lost so much.....

I do trust you, but I find myself wishing there could be a middle ground, or, that I didn't have to experience another lose!
  • It seems Gwennie will be missed but I'm definitely missing something here too. I noticed it says “banned after receiving more than 4 formal warnings.” Yet she never mentioned that or stated she was having difficulty. Is this a tribute to her professionalism, or if she truly received 4 “formal warnings” did something get lost in the translation?

I've lost count how many times I've seen post with people specifically asking for her thoughts or opinions. I believe that is what this sight is all about. She constantly referred to the sites many different links. Her signature clearly says she is not a medical authority and was speaking from her own experience. I’m just wondering at what point are we the readers responsible for our own common sense?

Obviously I don't read all post. The many of hers I did read seemed to portray a well spoken, educated, and well researched person who truly cared. She often encouraged people to take an aggressive role in their own medical care. Good for her. Unlike others that often come on much stronger with their “opinions.” She never came off to me as if she "were a doctor or handing out medical advice." I read those type here all too often. Yesterday I read where it is obvious someone on the “Authority team” is sending a series of exercises for someone to do. Of course I am to assume this person cleared those exercises or stretches with his doctor first. Today I read where someone told someone else to “…kick him out.” Is this person a professional psychiatrist or psychologist? Will the receiver use some common sense and make the decision that’s right for them? Surely they will at least discuss this with their own professional counselors or be encouraged to get some counseling first. Am I to wonder did these people receive a “formal warning? I will never know.

I don’t say these things to show anger or lack of respect for the authority. I simply use them as examples of the many things this site is used for. Everybody “hands out advice.” Again, we are responsible for our own common sense.

I now wonder, after reading this and considering all of Gwennie’s straight forward no nonsense post, what is acceptable, or is it "who" is acceptable.

When I think about it, I think we may find a whole lot of people asking questions and not a lot of people trying to offer suggestions or answers here. Many people will not find much difference between their post and hers. They will think twice about posting anything worthwhile in the way of help. Then where will this site be?

Good Luck Ron. I say that in all sincerity. I would not want to be the one to decide who is handing out advice as if they are a professional and who is just trying to be helpful.

As to the PM’s? I'm a bit confused. So much for the word Private.
  • I understand where the limitations lie, and will be very cognizant of how I word my comments.

I do have a specific question, however. Just looking for an honest answer...are our PM's being monitored?? If they are...I want to do the same when I write a pm...be cognizant of how I word my comments. I think that is only fair! While I would be disappointed to know that is occuring, I can then know the score and act accordingly.

My mantra in general is living a life of honesty and integrity, and my expectations are the same when on this forum. I have, as everyone on this site, been through a horrible journey, trying desparately to find ways to have a relatively normal life.

Lisa
  • I'm not going to post my opinion. I understand the rules and if they were violated...well I guess that is for the administrator to decide.

I really would appreciate someone sending me a pm if they get an addy for Gwennie. She was great helping me out in many ways. Or please pass mine along. TraseeLea@Live.com or TraseeLea@tmo.blackberry.net

TIA,
    Traci
  • FROG said:
    It seems Gwennie will be missed but I'm definitely missing something here too. I noticed it says “banned after receiving more than 4 formal warnings.” Yet she never mentioned that or stated she was having difficulty. Is this a tribute to her professionalism, or if she truly received 4 “formal warnings” did something get lost in the translation?

I've lost count how many times I've seen post with people specifically asking for her thoughts or opinions. I believe that is what this sight is all about. She constantly referred to the sites many different links. Her signature clearly says she is not a medical authority and was speaking from her own experience. I’m just wondering at what point are we the readers responsible for our own common sense?

Obviously I don't read all post. The many of hers I did read seemed to portray a well spoken, educated, and well researched person who truly cared. She often encouraged people to take an aggressive role in their own medical care. Good for her. Unlike others that often come on much stronger with their “opinions.” She never came off to me as if she "were a doctor or handing out medical advice." I read those type here all too often. Yesterday I read where it is obvious someone on the “Authority team” is sending a series of exercises for someone to do. Of course I am to assume this person cleared those exercises or stretches with his doctor first. Today I read where someone told someone else to “…kick him out.” Is this person a professional psychiatrist or psychologist? Will the receiver use some common sense and make the decision that’s right for them? Surely they will at least discuss this with their own professional counselors or be encouraged to get some counseling first. Am I to wonder did these people receive a “formal warning? I will never know.

I don’t say these things to show anger or lack of respect for the authority. I simply use them as examples of the many things this site is used for. Everybody “hands out advice.” Again, we are responsible for our own common sense.

I now wonder, after reading this and considering all of Gwennie’s straight forward no nonsense post, what is acceptable, or is it "who" is acceptable.

When I think about it, I think we may find a whole lot of people asking questions and not a lot of people trying to offer suggestions or answers here. Many people will not find much difference between their post and hers. They will think twice about posting anything worthwhile in the way of help. Then where will this site be?

Good Luck Ron. I say that in all sincerity. I would not want to be the one to decide who is handing out advice as if they are a professional and who is just trying to be helpful.

As to the PM’s? I'm a bit confused. So much for the word Private.
    FROG,

Very well put. I am searching for the "WHY" to keep coming back to this site if free flowing, and accurate information, is not forthcoming, and might get you banned. I also would very much like to know if this sites PM'S are being looked at by the mods. Maybe the moderators should take a cold hard look at why people come to this site, at least this section. Who actually owns this site anyway. Do Dr.'s own it?

Papa Ron,

I don't know why you decided to ban her but the fact that she was/is VERY well liked is going to be a major lose for this site. Who else is going to provide the type of insite and experienced information that people look for? Judgeing from the short period of time I've been here I can say this, it isn't coming from the mods. Other then Cath ? I've seen very little useful input.

David
advertisement